Good stuff about getting old

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Blue Hills
1) 'We' went through the menopause for around 8 years and our hitherto amazing sex life dove off the edge of a cliff. :sad:

Said menopause is now a few years in the past (Lovely Wife is now 57) and I can report that her libido has hit overdrive and we are happily beavering (:rolleyes:) away more than ever.

Sadly, I don't think that this is the case for everybody in similar circumstances but you never know your luck.

Fortunately, at nearly 64, the curse of ED has not struck me although I gather help is available these days if it does.

2) Money is no longer an issue for us and we've enough to last us longer than if we both beat the current human age record for each gender. The kids might not appreciate us getting that far as they may not get the chance to squander it all (they would) at a relatively early age; if at all. Saying that we are pretty certain that they will get to rip through their not inconsiderable inheritances without a thought for the prudential approach taken by their parents. Cest la vie and good luck to them. If they blitz the lot away and die in poverty then it will be no concern of ours. We did our bit for them.

3) We no longer give a fig about what other people think of our fairly hedonistic lifestyle. It used to bother us a bit but to hell with it - we know people whose relationships have ended up marriages of financial conveniences etc with zero passion from either side who may tut-tut in our direction and quite frankly we couldn't care less. Their loss not ours.

4) We find it very easy to distance ourselves from most of the big issues of the day and are increasingly detaching ourselves from the rest of society as we realise that either we no longer fit or that many other folk are heading off in the wrong direction. Not bothered which of those statements are right or wrong tbh.

5) I could probably think of more benefits but my memory has defeated me.... :laugh:
Liked.
Must admit though to being intrigued by the twin pairing of "prudential approach"and "hedonistic lifestyle" but quite probably none of my damn business.
good luck to you both.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A couple of ones that really deserve it, but they always seem to be the ones that hang on longest.
I wouldn't wish a Covid-19 death on anyone, but if Donald Trump succumbed to it I would feel that at long last he had really done something good for the American people! (I have visions of him in his last few minutes muttering that he only had a little dose of 'kung flu' and that rumours of his impending death were 'fake news'...)

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Watching people you don't like snuff it. Well, not actually watching them do it, but you know what I mean.

Well that didn't take long, I thought this was an appeal for 'nice' people, to talk about the encouraging positives, of growing older or 'being old' - whenever that starts

By page three were onto enjoying the fact that people we don't personally like are dying before us, and the manner in which that might happen.

If this is 'nice' (a word Trump likes to use quite often) encouraging, or positive, then I'd hate to see the dark side.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Drago has quite a gallows / dark sense of humour and that's pretty well known and an awful lot of what he says is tongue in cheek. It's pretty easy to spot too.
You don't have to like it of course, but then equally you shouldn't feel obliged to be this righteous and crusading on every thread, it's tiring enough on the News and Current Affairs boards.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Drago has quite a gallows / dark sense of humour and that's pretty well known and an awful lot of what he says is tongue in cheek. It's pretty easy to spot too.
You don't have to like it of course, but then equally you shouldn't feel obliged to be this righteous and crusading on every thread, it's tiring enough on the News and Current Affairs boards.

There's always the ignore button :okay:

I do apologise for tiring you out, I can do dark too - but I thought that was very specifically not what was asked for here.

Some folks have been very open about the intimate details of their relationships as they get older.

To have that crashed in on by someone joking about "can't wait for some people to die" seems a little crass to me.

But others may feel differently of course.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I thought drago's comment fair enough.
Jokey of course (i have no worries that he was contemplating murder dramatic or surreptitious) but kinda serious in a way. And related.
One of the pluses of growing old is undoubtedly seeing the various farkwits you have encountered, some malicious, fade to irrelevance. Drago was just contentedly contemplating a more rapid permanent fade.
By the by one of the worst imaginable ways to die i can think of would be while tapping into the news and current affairs boards.

Drago

Legendary Member
I find also that I get less angry at farmers and agricultural types that think they own the entire planet and that everyone else is subservient to either their whims or poor behaviour. Their mud on the road, their grumbling about me legitimately using a public right of way, their incessant complaining about anyone who dare hold a different opinion or perspective, their ruddy cider-infused complexion, it all just washes past me now I'm older. I simply doff my cap, say "morning squire", and then quietly continue poaching their game the moment their back is turned.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I find also that I get less angry at farmers and agricultural types that think they own the entire planet and that everyone else is subservient to either their whims or poor behaviour. Their mud on the road, their grumbling about me legitimately using a public right of way, their incessant complaining about anyone who dare hold a different opinion or perspective, their ruddy cider-infused complexion, it all just washes past me now I'm older. I simply doff my cap, say "morning squire", and then quietly continue poaching their game the moment their back is turned.

Good for you.

That's the approach I take if they get ansty with me, if I park my little tent in their upland acres, on a bike or walking tour (but they rarely do tbh)

There's a local cove, just here 50yds from the front gate who is trying to get a foot path closed that's not officially marked on the map, but has been in use forever.

Our 'footpath warden' has been gathering evidence from locals such as myself who have been using it for over twenty years.
He's got at least thirty people so far to sign on.

And yes don't get me started on monster diesel guzzling machinery breaking down the lanes, and ripping up our soils..

But then as the guy from efra remarked to me in a meeting, "You'll struggle to get the boys off of their toys"

Still, we carry on in hope that extractive, exploitative industrialised agriculture might be tamed, and land justice imemented eh??

Which thankfully, rather neatly brings me back to the 'benefits of being older' thread topic..

As an established, and quite successful member of the 'alternative' farming scene, I often get invited to take part in parliamentary policy discussions, and submit papers on such, now that I have a track record.

Whereas my younger self might have been overlooked as a "too inexperienced" or as an irrelevance.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
It's people like you that give poachers a bad name!:cursing:

Top Bottom