Good value Android phone to run Komoot whilst touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazytyke

Guru
Having had lots of "fun" with my Garmin whilst touring, I'm keen to try running Komoot directly on an android phone instead. I already have I phone for day to day use and comms, so just looking for a cheapish android, with good battery life that would run Komoot. Any experience/suggestions welcome. I'd rather maintain a separate phone for the navigation and comms etc.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Its been said many times on here the Motorola Moto phones by Lenovo are great value. I'd choose one with a larger screen and battery like the E4 plus:
https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_e4_plus-8722.php

OP
OP
lazytyke

lazytyke

Guru
First time I've heard of Komoot, looks interesting.

It's really quite good, though as with all navigation aids, it sometimes throws in the odd curve ball. What I really like is the ability to easily change the route on the phone. Very easy to add in extra way points to change the route. Also it was very straight forward to get it onto the Garmin via bluetooth from the phone. I'm now thinking though why bother with the Garmin at at all !

Cycleops

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5276571, member: 259"]Moto G6 play. ......and it has the best battery by far of all the current Moto G6 family.[/QUOTE]
4000mAh as opposed to 5000mAh in the E4plus and it’s fifty quid more but the G6 is lighter and slimmer. Screen size is nearly the same.

It's really quite good, though as with all navigation aids, it sometimes throws in the odd curve ball. What I really like is the ability to easily change the route on the phone. Very easy to add in extra way points to change the route. Also it was very straight forward to get it onto the Garmin via bluetooth from the phone. I'm now thinking though why bother with the Garmin at at all !
Which Garmin is that?

snorri

Legendary Member
Any experience/suggestions welcome.
Leave your 'phone at home get away from it all, you're on holiday, relax and enjoy yourself:smile:

I too am something of a Komoot fan - partly because of the integration with Garmin. Being able to 'flick' a route across from my iPhone to my Garmin is great and allows me to use the Garmin for navigation and the iPhone for other things (i.e. music or online geocaching) without worrying about battery life. If I try to do all three on my iPhone (as I did last Saturday) then, even with the external battery case for the iPhone,. I only just managed about 3.5 hours. When I went out on Sunday, using both the Garmin and the phone, I was able to go out for a similar length of time and come back with lots of battery life left on both devices.

It needs to be one of the Bluetooth enabled Garmins:
  • Edge® 1030
  • Edge® 520
  • Edge® 820
  • Edge® 1000
  • Edge® Explore 1000
  • Edge® Explore 820
  • ForeAthlete® 735XTJ
  • Forerunner® 735XT
  • Forerunner® 935
  • fēnix® 5
  • fēnix® 5S
  • fēnix® 5X
  • D2™ Charlie
  • Oregon® 7 Series
Komoot also works well with a wide range of other Bluetooth enabled devices.
Ah OK, I have the 810 and the only way of transferring routes is via Garmin Connect from their own Garmin mapping. Can it be saved as a gpx file, if so it could still be useful with a small fiddle factor?

OP
OP
lazytyke

lazytyke

Guru
I use the 820 - which is Bluetooth enabled. My problem though is I just find it a bit flakey. It completely froze several times when using over the last two weeks, also it went into constantly recalculating route at one point, despite having this option turned off and consequently drained the battery in 2 hours. When it works well, it's a brilliant combination. But frustrating when it plays up - hence the thought of removing the Garmin from the equation.

Yes - you can save it as a .gpx file.
Cool, I think I'll give it an explore then, it looks eminently useful and solves the problem of creating electronic routes on the fly and getting them into a navigation device without carrying a pc about.

The downside of Komoot is that it isn't really free. You can get a free 'region' map but these are relatively small. However, they are doing a deal where you can buy the complete region bundle (basically most of the world) for €30.

I can also 'gift' you a region if you're interested.
Tah, let me have a look and I might take you up on the offer. It's not something I'll need often, so it'll probably get filed in the 'something useful I might need in the future' section of my brain and phone.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

Last weekend a friend rode from Groningen in Holland to my place in Denmark and back.

He plotted his route from his door to my door using Komoot and return. He downloaded it to his Wahoo and just rode the route. In the entire journey it sent him down tracks he would not have chosen, for about 1km.

That is either a fluke, or very impressive.

I know a lot of the Transcontinental guys use Komoot.

OP
OP
lazytyke

lazytyke

Guru
In the entire journey it sent him down tracks he would not have chosen, for about 1km.

That is either a fluke, or very impressive.

I know a lot of the Transcontinental guys use Komoot.

I am really impressed with it, sometimes I wondered where it was going as once it directed me into a supermarket car park, only to find in the very corner of it was a cycle track that gave me a very direct route avoiding a main road. Equally though it sometimes took me off a road which was fairly quiet and sent me on cut throughs to avoid it- rejoining a matter of a couple of hundred metres later. That’s a small price to pay though for how good it is generally

Top Bottom