Good value Android phone to run Komoot whilst touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Its been said many times on here the Motorola Moto phones ...

[QUOTE 5276571, member: 259"]Moto G6 play. ...[/QUOTE]

+1 for the Motorola Moto series.
I've had several, currently running a G4 which is all the phone I could possibly need.

[QUOTE 5287837, member: 259"] The G6 is pretty damn slick...[/QUOTE]

For anyone using the Lenovo/Motorola phones does anyone have any issues with the GPS?
I found (back when I had a car) that the gps couldn't keep up with me - it kept losing the gps signal (and no, I wasn't speeding! :tongue:), but also on the bike the gps is not very accurate (when used in offline mode, using Google maps). One notable experience was when I was on one side of the Schelde estuary (Dutch/Belgian border) and my phone was telling me I was on the other! It thought I was in Antwerp, when in fact I was across the bay looking at Antwerp! (and in another country!)
It may just be a Google Maps issue - it doesn't seem that accurate in offline mode. OSMand has no such issues.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
For anyone using the Lenovo/Motorola phones does anyone have any issues with the GPS?
I found (back when I had a car) that the gps couldn't keep up with me - it kept losing the gps signal (and no, I wasn't speeding! :tongue:), but also on the bike the gps is not very accurate (when used in offline mode, using Google maps). One notable experience was when I was on one side of the Schelde estuary (Dutch/Belgian border) and my phone was telling me I was on the other! It thought I was in Antwerp, when in fact I was across the bay looking at Antwerp! (and in another country!)
It may just be a Google Maps issue - it doesn't seem that accurate in offline mode. OSMand has no such issues.

I've never had that problem - I've used it on a train travelling at 125mph and it seemed to keep up with that OK.

I've never had that problem - I've used it on a train travelling at 125mph and it seemed to keep up with that OK.
Thanks!
Can I ask if you had the phone data on, or were you in offline mode? And was it using Google maps? This only seems to be an issue for me in Google maps in offline mode. OSMand & other gps apps don't seem to have the same issue.

SteveF

It runs quite well on my G5, lazytike.

I'm quite impressed with it. It's routing is not necessarily my first choice but it's not far out and I'd take it in an unfamiliar area and with some fiddling I Managed to get the route from Komoot into my 810 using only my phone.

Was that via Bluetooth or a different fiddle factor?

Was that via Bluetooth or a different fiddle factor?
Download the route from Komoot as a gpx, open Garmin Connect on the website not the android app. Upload the route via the website as a route, which is slightly awkward but doable. When that's done, open the android Connect app and the route should be available in the routes section to transfer to the Garmin via bluetooth.

Download the route from Komoot as a gpx, open Garmin Connect on the website not the android app. Upload the route via the website as a route, which is slightly awkward but doable. When that's done, open the android Connect app and the route should be available in the routes section to transfer to the Garmin via bluetooth.
Download the komoot for Garmin app in the IQ Store and sign in with your komoot account. This will allow you to find and follow any routes you plan on komoot directly on your Garmin.

[QUOTE 5293053, member: 259"]I can see this sort of thing popping up on the next reboot of the Generation Game.[/QUOTE]
Let's see if he does well
Not the 810 though.

SteveF

Thanks....

The 810 just works via the Connect app, I think the next incarnations will communicate directly via bluetooth from 3rd party apps

The 810 just works via the Connect app, I think the next incarnations will communicate directly via bluetooth from 3rd party apps
I finally read to the bottom of the page I linked to and saw it didn't work with your device.

The depths of my ignorance of garmin (and wahoo) knows no bounds.

The last garmin I owned looked like this

cf-lg.jpg

It did not have Bluetooth.

Top Bottom