England : North Yorkshire Goodbye Christmas Yorkshire Pudding 100k 8 Jan 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpuddyJones

Hey All, first time poster on CC.

I've just registered for this - my first Audax. I've done the distance before (the Manchester to Blackpool event a couple of times) but still a little nervous about my 1st Audax. I'd also be interested in knowing if a CC group is formed.

Thanks,

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've just registered for this - my first Audax. I've done the distance before (the Manchester to Blackpool event a couple of times) but still a little nervous about my 1st Audax.,

Welcome - and some simple suggestions for a first-timer, or rather 'things I should have done before my first audax':

- Read the instructions, particularly what the different symbols mean, a brevet card is and what the controls are
- Familiarise yourself with the route, even if you're relying on a GPS. I've learnt to do a route overview and use Google Streetmap at major junctions
- Bring a pencil / small pen with you to answer the questions

Otherwise enjoy it. I'm probably riding with my son's club - look for the gaggle of over-excited 10-14 year-olds - and for most of them it's their first audax as well.

Skuhravy

Veteran
I'll be there - VC167 jersey, Pompino, a bit scruffy, probably looking knackered after riding down from Darlo.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Gaggle of kiddies is reduced to 2 at most - plus me and one of my 12yo's coaches. I'll be on my Eastway winter bike with my 12yo (who's a clone of me!) on a Giant TCR.

Last edited:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
All being well we'll be there.
Mrs Kes will probably be in a Holmfirth CC top, and I'll be in a red Gabba, riding a GT Grade. Feel free to say hi... although I suspect we will be riding at Mrs Kes pace (slow for first 45K then like someone stuck a rocket up her saddlebag).

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Spoke too soon.. Doesn't look like we will be riding this after all.

Hope you all have a safe and enjoyable ride.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Brief report:

The organisation at the start was a bit shambolic but the route's decent apart from a busy section out of Selby. We had pre-registered but were in a queue with those who had forms until after the start!

Through the racecourse was interesting and a few riders seemed to find a sensible detour. Then it was through Tadcaster to Boston Spa and a quick stop. Back through the other side of Tadcaster to Selby was a good stint, little traffic and it meant I could ride beside by 12yo rather than behind him.

From Selby it got a little busy in places, with too much traffic on narrow roads. However he decided to put a spurt on with 10 miles to go and kept catching other riders.

We were 4 hrs 25 for the 100k which includes stops with a 16mph actual ride average. It's the first time on this new route and I'm sure they'll make a few changes for next year.

Skuhravy

Veteran
Aye, it was only when I heard Nigel shouting pre-entered riders over that I realised - I was munching my sandwich and waiting for the queue to ease. 48 entries on the line won't have made Les's life easy today mind.

It's a sensible route for the time of year, and I think it was adapted for the bridge closure in Taddie. Mostly it worked apart from our tactical error in going to the grumpy pub rather than the cafe in Boston Spa. Took bloody ages for coffee, though it was lovely when it came, and the free brownies were gorgeous. The finish at the Tap in York worked really well too, though you are paying station prices for the excellent beer and pies. Decent day out all told!

Top Bottom