Goodbye indexed gears?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Looking at the derailleur hanger it appears to be a Pilo D124. That's 3 bolts, but only 2 are needed:

View attachment 607822

@sebinho - you beat me to it. Get one of these and it should solve most of your issues.

As a side note, I carry one of these in my saddlebag at all times - if you have a multi-tool you can replace it mid-ride if needed, which has saved me once, and would have been useful once more. I'd order a spare personally and keep it on hand, but get the one you have on now straightened - it's not broken so worth keeping on.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@si_c - I do exactly the same. It's part of 'peace of mind'.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
As a side note, I carry one of these in my saddlebag at all times - if you have a multi-tool you can replace it mid-ride if needed, which has saved me once, and would have been useful once more. I'd order a spare personally and keep it on hand, but get the one you have on now straightened - it's not broken so worth keeping on.

@si_c - I do exactly the same. It's part of 'peace of mind'.

The rider below could certainly have done with one...
I was in a group of about 30 riders on the Costa Blanca. We had just hit a small hill and were starting to power our way up it when we heard a loud noise and a stream of expletives coming from the back of the group. A rider had just tried to change gear and his gear hanger had broken, sending his rear mech into the wheel. Several spokes were broken, his mech was hanging down into the wheel and the chain was mangled. We were about 30 miles from our hotel, in the middle of nowhere.

Between us, we managed to take off his rear mech, shorten the damaged section of chain and turn his bike into a singlespeed for the ride back, and straighten his rear wheel enough to make it rideable with the back brake slackened off.

OP, sorry about the hard responses in some case. I know the feeling when you are new at something. Just remove the hangar and place it on a flat surface. It will be obvious. If it not get a replacement. There is a possibility that hangar damage is seldom isolated, so do expect re-alignment which you should be able to do. It a common issue when a bike falls or the chain get caught etc.

OP
OP
sebinho

sebinho

OP, sorry about the hard responses in some case. I know the feeling when you are new at something. Just remove the hangar and place it on a flat surface. It will be obvious. If it not get a replacement. There is a possibility that hangar damage is seldom isolated, so do expect re-alignment which you should be able to do. It a common issue when a bike falls or the chain get caught etc.

Thanks, no worries. I appreciate the help and learnt a lot. Cheers

OP
OP
sebinho

sebinho

Oh and by the way, if anyone with a 2001 Principia Rex stumbles upon this thread, the correct hanger is the Elanus Parts D210, with two screw holes, and not the D124. Elanus just replied to my query. See: https://www.elanusparts.com/derailleur-hangers/d210-derailleur-hanger-principia

Edit: But looking more carefully, I'm not convinced. The outside of the hook on the D210 has a 90º angle, whereas the hanger on my frame has a curve. Will write back to them...

Edit2: The D124 seems to be the one. There's also this Danish one for the Rex and RSL 2000-2004: https://webshop.hfchristiansen.dk/r...rsl-2000-2004-tt2-rcs(pa950305010)-p-pa082010

Last edited:
OP
OP
sebinho

sebinho

Back again I'm afraid. The mechanic does indeed have the tool to align the hanger. He straightened it well but the problem continues ie. it skips gears badly. He said that there's too much play in the arm of the derailleur and it needs to be replaced.

I have found an Ultegra RD-6800, apparently new, for a good price. I realise I would need to change the cassette as it is 11 speed but would I also need to change the bar end shifters? They're able to be put in indexed or friction mode but is there any way of converting them to 11 clicks from 9? If not it looks like my best option would be to buy a 9-speed Sora RD-R3000.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Quite believable the RD was damaged beyond just a good scratching.
You won't be able to change the bar-end shifters from index 9 to index 11. You'd need to make the judgement if friction would work for you. Have you (ever) tried using it in friction mode for the 9sp cassette? I'd test that first before investing in an RD-6800?

OP
OP
sebinho

sebinho

Have you (ever) tried using it in friction mode for the 9sp cassette? I'd test that first before investing in an RD-6800?
Yes, it's in friction mode now and I took it for a longish ride this morning. Still jumps around on the lower gears but it runs better than in indexed mode. My ultimate aim is to put STI levers on the bike (it had been set up with triathlon bars when i bought it - so that's why it has bar-ends). One thing I could do is get the Ultegra, change the cassette and run it in friction mode until I'm in position to get STIs. Hadn't thought of that before. Will ruminate on the idea. Cheers and thanks.

I expect your bike shop has checked this, but as you’re experiencing the problem in the lower gears, it may be worth double checking your B-screw setting as it can cause your top derailleur pulley wheel to interfere with the bigger cassette cogs if set incorrectly.

OP
OP
sebinho

sebinho

I expect your bike shop has checked this, but as you’re experiencing the problem in the lower gears, it may be worth double checking your B-screw setting as it can cause your top derailleur pulley wheel to interfere with the bigger cassette cogs if set incorrectly.

Oops, sorry I meant higher gears, the little ones! By the way, I just ordered a Sora RD-R3000 SS 9-speed.

Top Bottom