Google maps for bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pauluk

I've got google maps on my phone but not tried a bike specific one. Sounds like one to ignore, unless its taking you along the flattest ground. Does it give options like, least climb, recreational, shortest distance etc

BSRU

A Human Being
I tend to use ridewithgps or mapmyride or veloroutes. For absolute confirmation I check with OS maps.
Too many times Google maps has given a false impression of routes. Last year I ended up in a farmers field that Google maps indicated was a road.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
First time I've seen it .... I'll have to go and play. It picked the most obvious route for the first one I plugged in but then it is an A road going almost directly between the two points.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
What do the green dots mean? Dark Green seems to be a cycle route away from a road, mid green a cycle path/cycle lane on/beside the road.

OP
OP
steveoo

steveoo

ive just been trying again this time on the laptop and it has picked the route i usually take, but on the return route it gives a time of 15 mins to complete not a chance even driving this route i would only just manage it.:bicycle:

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
It sends me down a dual carriageway that is designated no-cycling. However, it is flagged as a beta-test version and asks for error reports, so fair enough.

Yes, this must be very new. I remember reading in the US it took a while for the bike routes to settle down.

My commute version (I just checked) is already better than the one tfl gives me.

davefb

Guru
It sends me down a dual carriageway that is designated no-cycling. However, it is flagged as a beta-test version and asks for error reports, so fair enough.
surely not the a666/st peters way?
it doesnt for me if i try it..

does seem to like junctions though :sad:

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
It's only just recently come out of 'beta' here in the US, and it still doesn't work properly. You still can't rely on it for bike path directions because it essentially sees every footpath (including ones with lots of steps) as a bike path (not usually a problem for me, as I hate using bike paths). As for roads, it tends to refuse to let you go down major roads. So I tend to use the 'walking' directions when planning a bike trip.

jugglingphil

This is very new, I understand it was only introduced yesterday. Had a very quick look, it has some of the major cycle routes around me but not all.

davefb

Guru
Exactly that. If you do "Astley Bridge, Bolton, United Kingdom" to "Crescent, Salford, United Kingdom", it takes you down St Peter's Way!
thats mad :smile:.
hmm, it does seem to know about the cycle routes, though doesnt seem to know "dont bother with that bit unless you're riding a mountain bike'

Top Bottom