Got hit by a car just now

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Vincealot

Vincealot

I've gone to the doctors and hes documented my injuries and assures me all I need are pain killers.

Everyone I know reccomends I put a claim in. In all honesty I'm thankful I'm still breathing, can walk, talk and still get on my bike :smile:

I've checked over my bike again but think I'll pop it into my LBS for a once over and get a quote for the damaged parts.

BSRU

A Human Being
Going by all those "Where's there's blame there's a claim" type adverts, with some idiot winning a big cheque for falling over their feet, you should have no problems once the insurance company see the video.

jamesxyz

You are a model of calmness and restraint - I only heard you swear twice.
If I'd run over me I's stay in my car (if that makes sense) - I would be absolutely fuming.

Nice legs - the driver, not you.;)

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Vincealot said:
I've gone to the doctors and hes documented my injuries and assures me all I need are pain killers.
Good news.

Vincealot said:
Everyone I know reccomends I put a claim in. In all honesty I'm thankful I'm still breathing, can walk, talk and still get on my bike :smile:
Totally your choice. A bike-damage-only claim will be a small claims court matter unless there's been a couple of grands' worth of damage to a bling bike. To be honest it's a pain in the @rse. Lawyers, insurers and such will only get involved if you want compo for injuries, where the numbers get higher than the small claims limit.
Vincealot said:
I've checked over my bike again but think I'll pop it into my LBS for a once over and get a quote for the damaged parts.
Definitely. You could try a polite call to the lady to at least get some cash for repairs. If she's not willing, mutter something about insurers and the small claims and see if that loosens her purse.

Armegatron

Bollo said:
If she's not willing, mutter something about insurers and the small claims and see if that loosens her purse gets a date.

:smile:

Seriously though, top marks on keeping calm. I only heard the audio when I got home and you were much more composed than I would have expected

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
'Loosens her purse' actually sounds dirtier.

OP
OP
Vincealot

Vincealot

Think I should change my username from Vincealot to Calmalot :smile:

I'm back I work today. Cycled in but was could feel a lack of confidence on my bike. My neck is still really stiff but seems to be getting better. I was struggling to lift my head up while laying down yesterday. Passed that dreaded roundabout this morning but at 4:30am I was the only person around. Not looking forward to going back that way at around 13:15 going to proceed with even more caution.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Vincealot said:
Think I should change my username from Vincealot to Calmalot :smile:

I'm back I work today. Cycled in but was could feel a lack of confidence on my bike. My neck is still really stiff but seems to be getting better. I was struggling to lift my head up while laying down yesterday. Passed that dreaded roundabout this morning but at 4:30am I was the only person around. Not looking forward to going back that way at around 13:15 going to proceed with even more caution.

Glad the neck is getting better, but don't be afraid to go back to the GP if any problems persist.

It's only natural to feel a bit insecure when you get back on the bike, but hats off to you for your positive response.

Is there an alternative route you can take, Vince? If might be worth adding on a mile or two, if there's a better choice?

Lessons . .. ?

My sympathies to the OP, nasty experience.

The driver is clearly at fault . . . but . . . entering a mini-rab at 18mph? I'm not sure I'd do that in my car. Essentially it means knowingly entering a situation where emergency braking may be necessary, at a speed where you can reasonably assume you will not be able to come to a dead stop, allowing for reaction times and braking ability of vehicle.

I know this is probably an unpopular view among both motorists and some cyclists . . .

Also: as some posters have pointed out, the lone female driver was entirely correct to remain in her vehicle. We live, alas, in a very sexist society (see the general level of some male comments on this thread alone), and we have all seen and heard on here how some cyclists can 'kick-off' even after a relatively minor incident. She could have been facing an adrenaline-charged, frothing at the mouth revenge seeker. All credit to the OP for being civilised instead.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
recumbentpanda said:
The driver is clearly at fault . . . but . . . entering a mini-rab at 18mph? I'm not sure I'd do that in my car. Essentially it means knowingly entering a situation where emergency braking may be necessary, at a speed where you can reasonably assume you will not be able to come to a dead stop, allowing for reaction times and braking ability of vehicle.

Well, some of us are more experienced and confident on a bike.;) And one person's perceived risk, isn't a risk to another :biggrin:

You can't carry on in life saying 'what if' as you'd actually never get on a bike or do half the stuff one does. Riding down hills at 50-60mph - you'd never do it if you think of the 'what ifs'...... you'd never take a corner at speed, thinking 'what if a hedgehog jumped out'....:biggrin:

As for drivers not getting out ....had the same in my off 18 months ago....driver rammed me at 30 mph....I was catapulted across a large roundabout and lay in the middle of it for a minute or so unable to move. Did anyone stop, nope, I even had to tell the driver to stop and pull over.... She never got out of the car, I had to pick myself off the road, hop to the island in the middle, and then had to get her to produce details....she then left me to find my own way home with a fubared leg, hip and shoulder.... hopping from a traffic island to the pavement on a two lane busy roundabout is no flipping fun !

Vince - if symptoms persist, get yourself back down to the docs.

Top Bottom