Got hit by a car just now

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Vincealot said:
At the time I didnt see any other way out. The surface is very bumpy on that round about and I've nearly come off from just the bumps before. When I revied the video i thought the same thing but at the time it was so different. It felt alot faster then the video portrays. I think I also misjudged my speed and braking time maybe but still I beleive she should not have pulled out. If you watch when I'm virtually making impact she looking straight ahead. Maybe she didnt even know I was there /shrug

(the amount of times people kinda pull out a bit then stop is very commonon that roundabout I actually didnt think she was gonna carry on across my path)

I noticed the video kinda jiggle which i guess is when you braked, did you lock the wheels?

OP
OP
Vincealot

Vincealot

The first bit of jiggle is the bumps on the road then me braking hard and just braced myself for impact.

D

Deleted member 1258

Vincealot glad you are OK. That's scary, that's very close to home, I use that roundabout twice a day and would have come through about half an hour after you got taken out. I find the bumps on that roundabout keeps my speed down. Are you sure the bikes OK? how are you feeling now?

Ben1982

I'm surprised that the driver that potentially saw it all (BN04 JHE), didn't stop to see that you were ok, or to leave contact details if they were needed as a witness at all.

Ho hum, glad you're ok. :biggrin:

OP
OP
Vincealot

Vincealot

dave r said:
Vincealot glad you are OK. That's scary, that's very close to home, I use that roundabout twice a day and would have come through about half an hour after you got taken out. I find the bumps on that roundabout keeps my speed down. Are you sure the bikes OK? how are you feeling now?

I go over it twice a day also. Live in Cov and work in Bermuda Park. I've just checked the bike again and its got some marks on the quick release levers, left pedal and left part of grip tape and my left Tiagra brake/gear lever. It rode fine afterwards. I got back on it and cycled home on pure adrenalin, didnt take long at all :biggrin:

D

Deleted member 1258

Vincealot said:
I go over it twice a day also. Live in Cov and work in Bermuda Park. I've just checked the bike again and its got some marks on the quick release levers, left pedal and left part of grip tape and my left Tiagra brake/gear lever. It rode fine afterwards. I got back on it and cycled home on pure adrenalin, didnt take long at all :biggrin:

Have you checked the frame and fork? run your fingers underneath the top tube at the front and check for lumps or ripples, visual check on the fork alignment. I ride from Coventry to Nuneaton, Caldwell road, takes me round the mini roundabout at the Donnithorne Avenue Coventry road junction, that ones very dangerous and is largely ignored by moterists.
http://www.multimap.com/maps/#map=5...Avenue, Nuneaton, Warwickshire, England, CV10

That happened to me...when I ran into that car in 1987 @ Maryland the frame fractured a few years later.I always thought it was related to that accident....and it was an accident...I mean I didn't do it deliberately.TIA

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Shocking. I'm glad you came off reasonably well and that nothing is badly damaged from the sounds of it.

I understand that the camera doesn't show everything or where you are looking. But from looking at the footage, if you make more eye contact with the drivers on your left. then you can tell if they have seen you or not. This means that sometimes you can predict things like this.

Also a loud OI! or any noise will at least let them know that you are there. Obviously she had no idea you where there until you hit into the side of her car.

taxing

Vincealot said:
What i also found odd was that she didnt get out of her car and check it? Maybe she was also in shock and didnt realise what just happened. I cant really see why she would feel intimidated. I like to think I'm quite polite and friendly looking.

When I worked as a bouncer always got told I was the nicest bouncer anyone had ever met lol. I never had any trouble either on any of the doors I worked. Still i'm not quite sure how I stayed so calm. Last week some moton nearly did something similar and I completely lost it, even chased them down the road and confronted them again at a set of lights, but then felt terrbile and caught up with them further down the road and apologised lol.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you are intimidating at all! It's not personal, it's just a result of years of brainwashing from Crime Watch. If you're a woman on your own all men can be suspect. Mainly when it's dark, but I bet when she realised she'd knocked you off that got her heart rate up a bit so she was nervous already.

On the other hand, she might have just been uncaring.

taxing said:
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you are intimidating at all! It's not personal, it's just a result of years of brainwashing from Crime Watch. If you're a woman on your own all men can be suspect. Mainly when it's dark, but I bet when she realised she'd knocked you off that got her heart rate up a bit so she was nervous already.

On the other hand, she might have just been uncaring.

I think she probably did the right thing in stopping, but staying in the car, able to drive off if necessary for safety.

I remember a chap I knew had to drive back home some 3 miles, pick up his wife and return to the scene as a couple rather than just some random bloke in order to give assistance to a young woman who had broken down on a country lane on a nasty bend who had, understandably, locked herself in the car and was not getting out for any strange man who might happen to pass by.

Okay, country lanes at night vs busy looking junction in broad daylight but still...you can see a reasoning.

Glad you're ok vincealot!

I must admit when I first watched it, it did look like you had time to get out of the way. However, hindsight and armchair cycling are wonderful things (I should know), so I can certainly understand how the perception at the time could be very different.

What amazes me though, is that having just knocked a cyclist to the ground, she just sits there, calm as anything. :tongue:

If I had an accident like that, I'd be out like a shot checking the cyclist was ok. It doesn't matter if they rise to their feet, as adrenalin can do crazy things, i.e. mask serious injuries.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Vincealot said:
Litterally 20 minutes ago I was involved in a collision with a car. I'm reviewing the footage now and will be uploading it. I'm still in a bit of shock but thankfully I'm still walking and talking.

I'll post the vid soon and hope to get your opinions on it.

UPDATE

Thank you for all the kind comments. Its my first collision (hopefully the last). The video is currently uploading and looks like its gonna take about an hour. I'll give you a quick run down on what happened.

I'm approaching a painted round about and need to take the 2nd exit. Theres no cars approaching from the right so I decide to keep my momentum and carry on. I look to the left and spot a couple of cars which are stationary.
I get on the roundabout and proceed with some caution as we all know motorists are unpredictable. The car in question then decides to pull out while im half way over. I'm already commited but manage to squeeze the breaks. Unfortunatly theres not enough time to stop and I go straight into the side of the motorists car and end up on my arse.

For some reason I didnt lose my rag. I've lost my temper to much less before. I took the motorists name, contact number and registration number. She seemed genuine and concerned and offered me a lift home. I checked my bike over infront of her and pointed out that my saddles now ripped but should be ok. My back wheel seems a little buckled aswell. I tried my best to deal with the situtation but was in shock and I'm sure you lot will point out any mistakes I made and things I should of done better :tongue:

My left elbow is cut and really bruised and my bum is very sore. Thankfully I manged to slow down enough to not get seriously injured.

UPDATE 2

heres the vid, oh yeh and ignore the timestamp cant figure out how to get rid of it on my md80

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiWjff5Smhg
this is the new link excuse the quality its still proccessing

I cut out the ending which is just me taking her details and car reg.

Glad you are okay, you will be wishing to claim for the bike damage and reporting it to the police?

I know you obviously did try to avoid the car, but from that video it loks as if no evasive action was taken. Hindsight is wonderful, there is a tonne of room down the side of her you could have at least tried to swoop into alongside the traffic island. But at the end of the day when someone pulls out in front of you, a lot of things blank out and you just cant react (Ive been knocked of twice now so I know how simple things could have taken the edge off or whatnot but was unable to do this at the time)

You may wish to keep the video to yourself until it has been reviewed by the police. I dont know why, but I have heard that people can be arsey of you have aired the video to the public prior to seeking legal action.

Also your forks? Are they carbon? You just plowed a car so might want to think about getting them checked over.

400bhp

Guru
Vincealot said:
What i also found odd was that she didnt get out of her car and check it?

When I worked as a bouncer.

There's the reason why...

Feckin Ford Ka drivers - worst stereotype on the road.

OP
OP
Vincealot

Vincealot

When I revied the footage I thought the same Magnatom but at the time it felt so different. As I previously mentioned theres bumps on the road which make me wobble and a sudden turn would of sent my flying also. I was just hoping and praying she accelerated fast enough for me to miss her or I braked in time to avoid collision.

When I approached I was thinking "cool no cars coming from the right I'm going fast enough for the cars on the left to notice me and give way. Ok that fiesta looks like its gonna pull out but wont...shoot! Its pulled out shud miss it...f**k too close brakes on....f**k, sh*t, f**k, sh*t, come on brakes! gonna....hit....CRASH BANG WALLOP!"

I've got some footage of something very similar the day before may upload it.

I'm not going into work today. My body feels all stiff and my neck is hurting. Feel drained.

Top Bottom