Got hit by a car just now

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Vincealot

Vincealot

cheers fluffy I was doing about 16-18 just before I got to the round about (just climbed a steep hill) so yeh thankfully wasnt going too fast. Plus I have Jedi powers and spotted the danger early enough to get the brakes on ;)

(the vid does look alot slower then it actually felt when I was on the bike and making impact.

taxing

I think it's so rude that she didn't get out of her car. I wonder if she was a bit intimidated by you. (It seems daft t say she might have been intimidated when it's motorist in their protective cage vs. cyclist but if she'd have gotten out it would have been lone woman vs. possibly angry man.)

Shocking how little help you got.

killiekosmos

Veteran
You handled the situation very well. Like others said, why did she not get out of car to see the damage to you and the bike?

Either she needs new glasses or she totally mis-judged your speed.

Very similar to my near miss on Sunday morning, but if i had been hit the outcome would have been much worse.

Anyway glad your ok.

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Sorry to hear about your spill, glad it wasnt worse. Think you handled that situation VERY well. I also noticed the MC rider stopped to ask if you were ok... I guess it may have been an idea to get his reg as a witness, but im sure in that situation that thought may not have occurred

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
Vincealot said:
cheers fluffy I was doing about 16-18 just before I got to the round about (just climbed a steep hill) so yeh thankfully wasnt going too fast. Plus I have Jedi powers and spotted the danger early enough to get the brakes on ;)

(the vid does look alot slower then it actually felt when I was on the bike and making impact.

My crash was about 27 mph so I can relate to how much it hurt. The woman was stupid but she is hot though. Doesn't excuse her though.

taxing said:
I think it's so rude that she didn't get out of her car. I wonder if she was a bit intimidated by you. (It seems daft t say she might have been intimidated when it's motorist in their protective cage vs. cyclist but if she'd have gotten out it would have been lone woman vs. possibly angry man.)

Shocking how little help you got.

My mate came off the other week in the wet, no vehicle involved but it was on a main road which was quite busy at the time.

Not one person offered any help, motorists just drove round him and his bike while he lay in road:angry:

hambones

It may be the footage making everything look quite sedate but why didn't you just ride to the right and pass the car that way? There seems plenty of time to make even a modest avoidance manoeuvre...

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Mini Roundabouts are horrible things that test a road user's knowledge, observation, reasoning, spacial awareness, courtesy and sense of speed in an arena of a barely visible painted circle at the center of conflicting junctions of confusion and frustration :/

OP
OP
Vincealot

Vincealot

What i also found odd was that she didnt get out of her car and check it? Maybe she was also in shock and didnt realise what just happened. I cant really see why she would feel intimidated. I like to think I'm quite polite and friendly looking.

When I worked as a bouncer always got told I was the nicest bouncer anyone had ever met lol. I never had any trouble either on any of the doors I worked. Still i'm not quite sure how I stayed so calm. Last week some moton nearly did something similar and I completely lost it, even chased them down the road and confronted them again at a set of lights, but then felt terrbile and caught up with them further down the road and apologised lol.

OP
OP
Vincealot

Vincealot

hambones said:
It may be the footage making everything look quite sedate but why didn't you just ride to the right and pass the car that way? There seems plenty of time to make even a modest avoidance manoeuvre...

At the time I didnt see any other way out. The surface is very bumpy on that round about and I've nearly come off from just the bumps before. When I revied the video i thought the same thing but at the time it was so different. It felt alot faster then the video portrays. I think I also misjudged my speed and braking time maybe but still I beleive she should not have pulled out. If you watch when I'm virtually making impact she looking straight ahead. Maybe she didnt even know I was there /shrug

(the amount of times people kinda pull out a bit then stop is very commonon that roundabout I actually didnt think she was gonna carry on across my path)

ChrisKH

Guru
The problem with mini-roundabouts is they encourage a 'who dares wins' mentality which is fine if you're in a car but a car-bike combination can be hazardous to the cyclist. I have one mini-roundabout on my commute to the station which has to be taken with great care as there is always constant traffic from three directions and no clear right of way for anyone. Hope you're ok vincealot.

Top Bottom