Got hit by a car just now

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Nothing surprises me about motorists not getting out to help. Tin box mentality kicks in (and often difficult to park up when in a line of traffic).

I once stopped to help move a car out of the middle of a road following a minor collision with another car. I actually had a few cars behind beeping because we were in the way (middle of the road pushing a broken down car out of the way)!! My car was out of the way by the way.

potsy

Rambler
Vincealot said:
Your file has been uploaded. We are now processing the video...

Its been stuck on 85% proccessed for ages

Taking ages :tongue:

I didnt get any witnesses, nobody stopped to even ask if i was ok. A motorbiker stopped tho to kindly inform me that my waterbottle was still in the road.
Quite worrying how no-one stopped to help,or even offer to be a witness.
Glad it wasn't more serious Vince,you handled it really well I thought.
Just one thing-did you pick your water bottle up? That could be classed as littering if you didn't;)

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
400bhp said:
Nothing surprises me about motorists not getting out to help. Tin box mentality kicks in (and often difficult to park up when in a line of traffic).

I once stopped to help move a car out of the middle of a road following a minor collision with another car. I actually had a few cars behind beeping because we were in the way (middle of the road pushing a broken down car out of the way)!! My car was out of the way by the way.

Sorry if this seems rude but this is absolute bollocks and simply applying your own predjudice to a group of road users (at least thats how it comes off to me).

In situations where other people are around, it is very common that people do not act (or their action is delayed), its called the bystander effect and its nothing to do with being in a tin can! The fact they are moving past simply means that the delay in acting out means they have already passed the accident. Its the same for someone walking past.

Its a well studied social phenomenon and is not a negative personality trait.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Vincealot said:
When I revied the footage I thought the same Magnatom but at the time it felt so different. As I previously mentioned theres bumps on the road which make me wobble and a sudden turn would of sent my flying also. I was just hoping and praying she accelerated fast enough for me to miss her or I braked in time to avoid collision.

When I approached I was thinking "cool no cars coming from the right I'm going fast enough for the cars on the left to notice me and give way. Ok that fiesta looks like its gonna pull out but wont...shoot! Its pulled out shud miss it...f**k too close brakes on....f**k, sh*t, f**k, sh*t, come on brakes! gonna....hit....CRASH BANG WALLOP!"

I've got some footage of something very similar the day before may upload it.

I'm not going into work today. My body feels all stiff and my neck is hurting. Feel drained.

The video does not adequately capture the speed or dynamics of the collision.

Get yourself checked out by your GP, Vince. I didn't bother with a MTB neck injury many years ago and I still have problems to this day.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
400bhp said:
Call it what you like - the mentality exists (as you have pointed out).

Prejudice :tongue:

You appear to miss the point, this isnt a mentality, a mentality is in a broad sense a general mental inclination. The bystander effect over-rides ones general mentality. People know that they should help someone injured and are fully convinced they would help in a certain situation "If I saw a man hit his wife I'd knock his teeth out" but in reality when faced with the situation one often finds themself unable to act.

The bystander effect isnt a mentality, its a social phenomenon that EVERYONE exhibits/experiences at some point, from those times when an old woman drops her change in the post office and there are 3-4 people nearby and they all hesitate watching her struggle before one eventually helps her pick it up (or dont act at all) to the cases where crimes such as public rape or assault where people have not phoned the police and just stood in a crowd as witnesses, not acting out.

Its not just people in a tin can. Just because someone is in a car does not mean they are any less likely to help than a ped walking by, or another cyclist riding on past.

To consider the bystander effect as a peronality trait of the general motorist, or anyone tbh is absolute ignorance.

Like I said, im not trying to be rude, but your post comes across quite generally anti-motorist. Im trying to offer another way of looking at it.

OP: Sorry for the off topic!

400bhp

Guru
Rob3rt said:
1. The bystander effect isnt a mentality, its a social phenomenon that EVERYONE exhibits/experiences

2. Like I said, im not trying to be rude, but your post comes across quite generally anti-motorist. Im trying to offer another way of looking at it.

QUOTE]

1. The social trait then manifests itself in a mentality.

2. You really don't know me :tongue: (username;))

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Rob3rt, you don't seem to be aware of the cager effect?

PK99

Legendary Member
400bhp said:

when i had my accident a couple of months ago, the driver who hit me, the driver behind me and a whole gaggle of pedestrians could not have been more helpful as i lay in the road waiting for the ambulance.*

* (i was a bit cross..... i had paramedic car, big white bus, police and fire-brigade - an air ambulance would have given me a full set!)

to the OP: Do get yourself checked out. the full extent of my injuries only became apparent weeks later

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
400bhp;1330989][QUOTE=Rob3rt said:
1. The bystander effect isnt a mentality, its a social phenomenon that EVERYONE exhibits/experiences

2. Like I said, im not trying to be rude, but your post comes across quite generally anti-motorist. Im trying to offer another way of looking at it.

QUOTE]

1. The social trait then manifests itself in a mentality.

2. You really don't know me :rolleyes: (username;))

Im quite confused by your number 1. But if im understanding, correct me if im wrong, then my answer to this is, if the bystander effect involuntarily overrides ones typical thought process hence rendering someone unable to act in the way they typically percieve to the right way to address a situation it shouldnt be seen as a negative reflection on the person. So if you will consider it a temporary and involuntary change to ones mentality (although im not sure it does constitute a change in mentality by definition, because the person usually knows what they should do hence still holding onto their typical mentality, but doesnt act accordingly - I dont know though).

I noticed your username before. But this doesnt mean much really. I quite often see people who cycle and drive comment on motorists in general in a negative sense, i.e. still be anti-motorist, yet consider them self exempt because they also ride a bike. But your right I dont know you :smile:

Sorry if you feel I was being rude. This was not my intention. I was simply calling "bollocks" on the generalisation and trying to promt some conderation from another angle. Yes an angle I am NOT particularly well versed on (Mainly aware of it due to a gang rape and assualt that occured outside a prom in canada or the US earlier this year or late last year where many people watched), so I cant debate this into the ground with you (although it is a very interesting topic) and will bow out before getting to deep into the topic, because I dont wish to get to far out of my (decidely shallow) depth. :biggrin:

BentMikey said:
Rob3rt, you don't seem to be aware of the cager effect?

No please enlighten me? A quick google doesnt show me much!

Please note, im not a phychologist, this is something Im loosely aware of and by no means do I consider myself to know a whole lot about this. I just find it annoying that people seem to insinuate that because someone doesnt act in an accident etc, they are in some way bad when there are other things out there that come into play in situations like this, the bystander effect being one, this cager effect mentioned by Mikey possibly being another (I dont know what it is so not going to comment on this).

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Just a quick +1 to getting yourself checked out. I had some longer-term damage to my shoulder after a collision where I thought I'd initially escaped with just cuts and bruises.

If you're going to go down a claims route, have a look at jonny_jeez's "essential guide" (sticky at the top). There's some excellent advice on the process.:rolleyes:

Crankarm

Guru
Can't advise more strongly of going to your GP to get yourself checked out and your injuries recorded. Perhaps you should have stayed down lying in the road or made to get up then collapsed .......... there were plenty of people around.

The driver did stop. You were just keen to get her number. I don't think she was wearing a ring on her left hand ..... :rolleyes:.

BSRU

A Human Being
Crankarm said:
The driver did stop. You were just keen to get her number. I don't think she was wearing a ring on her left hand ..... :thumbsup:.
Is this a new type of speed dating?, for people who like a little danger and pain.

400bhp

Guru
Rob3rt;1331081][QUOTE=400bhp said:
Sorry if you feel I was being rude. This was not my intention. I was simply calling "bollocks" on the generalisation etc etc

No worries :smile: I don't get offended on a forum :biggrin:

Top Bottom