Got myself a single

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jayhawk

I decided not to buy a new singlespeed or fixie because I wasn't sure I'd take to it, so I bought a single from a community project place the refurbishes and reclaims bikes. What I've got is a 24.5 inch Claud Butler frame with 700 wheels, reasonable tyres, new tubes, brake pads, chain etc. It's geared 42/18. I had my first ride on it today and was pretty happy. I live in the country and the roads are fairly undulating. I managed the hills fine, but had a fair amount of freewheeling on the downhills. What I really enjoyed was that I suddenly realised that I had given no thought to not having gears. Bloody cold though:biggrin:

OP
OP
J

Jayhawk

I'll try to add a photo

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Nice one. Get some pics up!
You will find the gear spinny because you only have a 63" gear on it.
So you might want to put a smaller sprocket on the back, a 17t one will take you to 66.7". I used to ride with 65" on my fixed, but its now at 68". Thats still abit spinny sometimes aswell.
Have fun on it and wack some pictures up!
Edit: Just put some pictures up, looks nice!
Just need it to be fixed now ;)

E

Euan Uzami

nice blue color scheme going on. cables look a bit wild! 'spose that goes with the type of lever where they come out the top - but if they don't get in your way fine.

weinman centre pull brakes?

btw you can easily convert it to a fixed wtih very little outlay or trouble, just takeoff the freewheel and put on a fixed sprocket. very cheap. less than £20 from hubjub.co.uk.
also depending on the rear wheel you may be able to have it flipflop (fixed one side, ss the other)

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Euan Uzami said:
nice blue color scheme going on. cables look a bit wild! 'spose that goes with the type of lever where they come out the top - but if they don't get in your way fine.

weinman centre pull brakes?

btw you can easily convert it to a fixed wtih very little outlay or trouble, just takeoff the freewheel and put on a fixed sprocket. very cheap. less than £20 from hubjub.co.uk.
also depending on the rear wheel you may be able to have it flipflop (fixed one side, ss the other)

Isnt that abit dangerouse because its lacking a lockring?;)

OP
OP
J

Jayhawk

Thanks for your comments guys. Got the brakes right Euan and yeah pretty wild brake cables, but hey ho who cares:smile:. More piccies

stevew

MajorMantra said:
Looks nice, but you should definitely try fixed - you'll never go back.

Matthew

Well you my never go back but it wasn't for me. The main thing I didn't like was not being able to go really fast on the down hill bits. I found I needed a 65" gear to get up the hills and was forever frustrated when going down the hills 'cos I can't spin at 200rpm ! !
But having said that I love my s/s road bike and am now converting my MTB to s/s as well.

Top Bottom