Got permision to cycle around the world (well actually she left which amounts to same)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
Sounds great Sparkyman, I wish I could do the same, I worry I might get too old before I can do r.e.a.l.l.y long tour, I am 50 too. I know my cycling drives Mrs Mark nuts, was wondering what other things, specifically, caused your wife to leave........

My friends wife walked out 3 years back, since, he's lived in Amsterdam, Barcelona and is currently employed teaching English in Bangkok, happy as Larry he is.^_^

Brandane

Legendary Member
Brilliant plan Sparkyman :bravo:. I am now 51 with not much in the way of commitments in the UK.. Semi retired and a job that is just a hobby; and a flat which I would be delighted to see the back of (if anyone would be stupid enough to buy the God forsaken place).

The major fly in the ointment for me are one or two medical concerns which give me no problems for most of the time, but sod's law says that when you really need the NHS you will be up a mountain on the other side of the world :sad:. Getting travel insurance even to go to Europe for a week is a headache, so I think the insurance companies might have more than a wee laugh to themselves if I was to ask for worldwide cover while I cycle round the globe.

Hence why I prefer to go for shorter trips, but more regularly. Good luck with this if you ever get round to doing it; I will be well jealous.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Sorry to hear of your ex leaving but delighted that you get to follow your dream.
I think that I would like to do something like that but I have dogs, a hubby on dialysis etc so it is unlikely to happen. I say, go for it and have a great time.
That hooking up with a charity, getting sponsorship etc is a fab idea. Go to the newspapers and I bet people would be interested in your house if they read about your round the world plans.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Sounds like a dream trip...but reality can be different. That's not a trip really...more of a total life change...which could be good..or not as the case may be.
I guess the important thing is that you do it because you want to and not as an escape plan
Or knee jerk reaction...although it sounds like you had it planned for a while.

I

best wishes and good luck. we did/tried to do something similar in february 2011. Ended in a rather unfortuanate incident after 12 months on the road and 9,000 miles but we loved every single minute of it (except for around 2 mins of the incident).

We loved cycling up to Nordkapp and Grense Jakobselv (Norwegian/Russian border at the Barent's sea) and don't forget to include the Lofoten Islands - they are simply stunning... (your map points don't include the Lofoten Islands - they are truely worth while if you have never been before). We did the artic cirlce crossing in Norway which was a fantastic day.

Otherwise getting a visa for Iran is a doddle and one of the easiest to obtain/use and extend. Your route across the Capsian sea could be problematical. I know of plenty of tourers who have run into trouble with visas expiring whilst waiting for a boat/ship to take them across. Several resorted to flying.

As for your age, don't let that stop you. I also know plenty of tourers much older (60-70 yrs old) who cover 60 miles a day on year long tours.

OP
OP
sparkyman

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
best wishes and good luck. we did/tried to do something similar in february 2011. Ended in a rather unfortuanate incident after 12 months on the road and 9,000 miles but we loved every single minute of it (except for around 2 mins of the incident).

We loved cycling up to Nordkapp and Grense Jakobselv (Norwegian/Russian border at the Barent's sea) and don't forget to include the Lofoten Islands - they are simply stunning... (your map points don't include the Lofoten Islands - they are truely worth while if you have never been before). We did the artic cirlce crossing in Norway which was a fantastic day.

Otherwise getting a visa for Iran is a doddle and one of the easiest to obtain/use and extend. Your route across the Capsian sea could be problematical. I know of plenty of tourers who have run into trouble with visas expiring whilst waiting for a boat/ship to take them across. Several resorted to flying.

As for your age, don't let that stop you. I also know plenty of tourers much older (60-70 yrs old) who cover 60 miles a day on year long tours.

The map points are mostly placed in areas I want to visit rather then specifics, would be thousands of the buggers if i pin pointed everywhere and ever point of interest.

Those Islands look beautiful, might have to have alook while i am up there..

Sparkyman

OP
OP
sparkyman

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
Sounds great Sparkyman, I wish I could do the same, I worry I might get too old before I can do r.e.a.l.l.y long tour, I am 50 too. I know my cycling drives Mrs Mark nuts, was wondering what other things, specifically, caused your wife to leave........

My friends wife walked out 3 years back, since, he's lived in Amsterdam, Barcelona and is currently employed teaching English in Bangkok, happy as Larry he is.^_^

Are you looking for tip on driving yours off :smile: No Idea what it was that drove the final nail in, probably cumulative issues over the years, was sad (am sad) about the break up but now looking at it as a opportunity rather then a loss.

Sparkyman

Top Bottom