Got permision to cycle around the world (well actually she left which amounts to same)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
sparkyman

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
I'd consider one of those water bottles which filters EVERYTHING out, makes finding safe drinking water easy.

Great Idea, I will have look for one or maybe those straw things I saw on TV a while ago.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Nah, you want the water bottle. And one of the stoves that re-charges your cell-phone by burning twigs or something. Good luck on selling the house. See the world, and enjoy it. Americans are pretty Anglophillic, so long as we are not near some Bicentennial or Tricentennial or some such thing. If you are in Central Illinois in the Fall, avoid Burgoo. Like Haggis in a kettle.

OP
OP
sparkyman

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
Nah, you want the water bottle. And one of the stoves that re-charges your cell-phone by burning twigs or something. Good luck on selling the house. See the world, and enjoy it. Americans are pretty Anglophillic, so long as we are not near some Bicentennial or Tricentennial or some such thing. If you are in Central Illinois in the Fall, avoid Burgoo. Like Haggis in a kettle.

Like the term like haggis in kettle :hungry:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Have you thought of renting the house out while you are away. It is ok going cycling but burning bridges is another thing. It would also give you an income while you are on the road.

There is a DFDS freight ferry from Immingham to Esjberg. I have been on it with my motorbike. It is a bit of facing but it is easier than riding to Harwich.

The Lofoten Islands is a must if you are up there. North Cape is just a point on a map but there is nothing there and it is expensive to get there.

If you ever get to Denmark give me a shout and I will come and ride with you for a few days.

Steve

drewc65

Fair play to you sparkieman, you certainley got some guts . better to do that then sat there crying into your beer hope all goes well for you. will you be making a blog or whatever they call it these days

The Lofoten Islands is a must if you are up there. North Cape is just a point on a map but there is nothing there and it is expensive to get there.

Access into the Nordkapp (or North Cape) visitor's centre was free for us. Over 50% of the cyclists we spoke to that day got in free. From what we could tell, it was up to the person on the booth and they were much more inclined to let you in free if you looked like you were finishing your tour (or in celebrating your arrival) than starting your tour there. The undersea tunnel is free to cyclists as well.

We were exceptionally lucky with the weather though, arriving around midnight and getting to see the midnight sun - that for me was one of the highlights of the trip.
I will warn you though, it is a hard journey to get there (to the visitor's centre) once on the island, simply because of the terrain, but the support from tourists who had driven passed us during the day was incredible and really added to the atmosphere. They were all waving and cheering us on, but it is a tourist 'trap' however I am happy to say it is one that I enjoyed.

IMG_2068_800.JPG

IMG_0609_1024.JPG

Jaco45er

Good luck Sparkyman :smile:

I done my first 40 miles yesterday so would struggle to get out of the Uk by Christmas. Which is lucky for the wife, she can't cook and I can !!!!!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I have grown addicted to Cornish Pasties. I'm not going anywhere. Smartest thing I ever did was tell the future Mrs GA to come down to my end of the table at some student get-together we were at. 25 years ago.

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
Good luck. I'd be cautious about selling the house. Many years ago I did something similar after my first marriage broke up, I'd started by planning six months off as I could easily afford it from a very high paid temporary job I had had, but in fact I discovered that six months constantly on the road away from friends and family was enough for me - and you may find some time period is for you, hence renting it out so you can keep your furniture etc. if you decide you have had enough,or want to break the round the world up into chunks.

My ambition when I retire in 2-3 years is London-Beijing which at 60 now I reckon I am fit enough to do in 6-7months without rushing, but hopefully with family/friends joining me for bits of it. And that's long enough for me!

OP
OP
sparkyman

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
Good luck. I'd be cautious about selling the house. Many years ago I did something similar after my first marriage broke up, I'd started by planning six months off as I could easily afford it from a very high paid temporary job I had had, but in fact I discovered that six months constantly on the road away from friends and family was enough for me - and you may find some time period is for you, hence renting it out so you can keep your furniture etc. if you decide you have had enough,or want to break the round the world up into chunks.

My ambition when I retire in 2-3 years is London-Beijing which at 60 now I reckon I am fit enough to do in 6-7months without rushing, but hopefully with family/friends joining me for bits of it. And that's long enough for me!

I will be buying a smaller cheap place to come back to should I need to do so, My Daughter shall live there while i am away. I did plan on just selling but I have realized That that was too much of a risk. SO i shall use the difference between the two to fund the trip (should still have 20-30k so that will be plenty)

Top Bottom