GPS Live Tracking for Safety Reasons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I already own a Garmin 810 and Vivoactive HR and I'm aware I can use these for Live Tracking via Bluetooth and my iPhone GPS using Garmin Connect. This doesn't though meet my needs as both Bluetooth and GPS drain an iPhone battery quickly.

I've reached the ripe age of 63, have an epilepsy diagnosis (only four fits in my life) and have two stents following a heart attack two years ago. Despite this I'm fitter than ever. Recently while out on a solo hill walk I slipped and was knocked out, when I came round I was very disorientated. I made my way back to the road on which our holiday cottage was located but only because I knew the best way to get help was to walk to the nearest tarmac!! On reaching the road I was only 200 metres from the cottage, which was round a blind bend, but not recognising the area I turned right instead of left and walked an extra 4.5kms to find my way back!! This was nothing more than an everyday walk, I'm not a fell walker or similar.

My wife is now, quite understandably, nervous of my solo activities and wants me to give up solo cycle touring. As I recently retired and have plans for this I'm looking for solutions. The thought is I agree regular check-in times by text and if my wife becomes concerned she could locate my position via GPS. I will in future also give my wife a much better idea of where I'm going and expected return time.

As battery life is limited if I use my phone I'm looking for a GPS tracking device which works with an app my wife can install on her phone. Good battery life is essential. Any thoughts or experience out there?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Glympse

The most reliable, safest, easiest option is a SPOT tracker since this is exactly what they're designed for. There are, I believe, other product options which do the same, but a dedicated device not relying on a 'phone signal is the way to go for peace of mind. Clearly, not the cheapest option but it does do what you want without the numerous issues around 'phones.
https://www.findmespot.eu/en/

EDIT: I think the appropriate device is the SPOT Gen3:
http://tinyurl.com/ya8afuuo
You need a service plan for it too, so check the costs, but the point is that it doesn't rely on 'phone signal, has emergency beaconing and all such good things. Fits your use case perfectly.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
As above, glympse or a spot tracker. Glympse allows you to set it so that it only uses GPS when someone is looking. Was out yesterday and got 6 hours out of my phone battery running Glympse and I had music on the whole time too.

A spot tracker is better, but more costly.

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
This is excellent, thank you for the responses so far. I had no idea devices such as the SPOT existed, the cost is not an issue as I'm far more concerned with my wife's peace of mind and my safety. Simply slipping on a stony path - my foot just went from under me on a steepish down hill - has brought home very clearly how vulnerable one can be and this of course can only increase as I get older.

SPOT has an emergency button too, and 'not moving' alerts and such so it's definitely the best option for peace of mind. All the non-dedicated options allow the "He is probably OK, but maybe out of signal in a ditch" type worries whereas a dedicated, solely satellite device removes that worry (presumably falling down a mine shaft it might struggle a bit, but at least you'd be seen to have disappeared!)

I would suggest going with the spot tracker rather than a phone app, if your main purpose is to ease your wife's mind. Phone trackers don't work if there is no signal, and it won't make her feel better if she is worried and the app is showing no movement or no signal while you are fine but not in range of mobile networks. Nor will it do you any good if you are in trouble, but she assumes it's a signal problem.

(If you did want to use your phone, amazon sells a wide range of external batteries with a USB port that can extend your phone battery life by many times.)

Edit @Sea of vapours covered most of this while I was typing)

Alan O

Über Member
I already own a Garmin 810 and Vivoactive HR and I'm aware I can use these for Live Tracking via Bluetooth and my iPhone GPS using Garmin Connect. This doesn't though meet my needs as both Bluetooth and GPS drain an iPhone battery quickly.
I was out all day yesterday tracking my route on GPS, and I had my iPhone connected to one of these - and from start to finish, the iPhone said 100% charged all the way! If that one's a bit bulky, there are lots of lower-capacity smaller ones out there.

I'm not sure why your phone battery runs down. I have an 810 and use Garmin Connect on my phone. Garmin Connect allows livetracking from your phone but it doesn't use the phone GPS. Recently I got about 8hrs out of a Livetrack with still plenty of life left in the battery of the Garmin and phone. Plus if required you coulod use a power bank to charge both on the go if reqd. Garmin Connect allows you to send a livetrack by email or other and the track can remain active for 24hrs if reqd.

I've also tried Glympse and it works well too but it does use more from my phone.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The most reliable, safest, easiest option is a SPOT tracker since this is exactly what they're designed for. There are, I believe, other product options which do the same, but a dedicated device not relying on a 'phone signal is the way to go for peace of mind. Clearly, not the cheapest option but it does do what you want without the numerous issues around 'phones.
https://www.findmespot.eu/en/

EDIT: I think the appropriate device is the SPOT Gen3:
http://tinyurl.com/ya8afuuo
You need a service plan for it too, so check the costs, but the point is that it doesn't rely on 'phone signal, has emergency beaconing and all such good things. Fits your use case perfectly.

The Spot 3 does seem to be just the job for the OP, not that I fully understand it.

I wonder about the battery life, on the website it says the Spot 3 has 'twice the life' of a previous device, but doesn't give any other indication.

Shouldn't be a problem using AAA-sized cells because you could carry spares, rechargeable or otherwise.

Top Bottom