Grammar Police

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Glad to hear there was nothing dodgy about you standing around in the toilet taking photos.
I wasn't just standing around taking photos,i was also shooting up man! :crazy: :wacko:

Seriously though,Is it wasn't,or weren't? 🤔

Last edited:

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
The one that's really getting to me just now, and I've noticed it more recently, is leaving a space at the end of a sentence before putting a full stop or exclamation mark . (as in this example)

If you're typing in French then, yes, that's normal, but not in English.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
'He admitted' is so annoying! It's used now by the media far too much. For example,'He admitted to not knowing which team he will play'. Surely it should be 'he said he didn't know' not admitted',as the word admitting means you're admitting to a fact,not a thought,question etc. Notice how i didn't stick a question mark on the end of that sentence. Just as i didn't do with the sentence before this one. The reason being is that i'm not asking a question,i'm making a statement. Yet i see many statements ended with a question mark.

My question is.Is the word admitted and are question marks overused?🤔

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
You mean Primary School English?
No. ^_^
English should of course always be capitalised in any scenario, but capitalising "primary school" is not necessary in this context. If it was a specific name of a primary school, ("Meadow Primary School, Cleckheaton") then that's different.

Write this rule 100 times please Mister Drago. 😄

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
'He admitted' is so annoying! It's used now by the media far too much. For example,'He admitted to not knowing which team he will play'. Surely it should be 'he said he didn't know' not admitted',as the word admitting means you're admitting to a fact,not a thought,question etc. Notice how i didn't stick a question mark on the end of that sentence. Just as i didn't do with the sentence before this one. The reason being is that i'm not asking a question,i'm making a statement. Yet i see many statements ended with a question mark.

My question is.Is the word admitted and are question marks overused?🤔
Surely it should be: My question is?, Is the word admitted and are question marks (?) overused???

Drago

Legendary Member
Primary School is a reference to a place, even if only a notional one, when used in any context and should thus be capitalised.

unless like me You donT reaLLy care mUch about that soRt of thIng.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Primary School is a reference to a place, even if only a notional one, when used in any context and should thus be capitalised.

unless like me You donT reaLLy care mUch about that soRt of thIng.
Initial Capitalisation should only be used for proper nouns, which are defined as "the name of a particular person, place, or object" (my emphasis). You are referencing a generic place so it would not be capitalised.

In the same way, one would refer to local bike shops, rather than Local Bike Shops.

Top Bottom