"Granny gear" and sexism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have never heard of anyone being offended by the term " Granny gear". I would think for it to be derogatory, the user would be trying to belittle the granny gear. But normally, the opposite applies. "Thank god I had a granny gear going up Stelvio". The people who would object are those fools who object to blackboard, whiteboard and much loved childrens comforter, the golliwog.

Slick

Guru
That presumes only triples have a low gear. In fact ever cyclist has a granny gear - it’s the lowest gear on your bike.

When I’m unsure about something like this I ask three good friends of mine - my wife and two other women. I’ll do this later and go with their opinion.

I’m also going to ask them about the term “boy look.” I’m not on a wind up with this.

I don’t know how widespread “boy look” is but locally it’s used when someone fails to find something which is staring them in the face. Based on the principle if you ask a male child to find for example his shoes, he might open his bedroom door, look in and claim he can’t find them!!!!

In my circle “boy look” is used by men and women to describe anyone’s failure to find something which is obvious.

Currently my opinion is while I understand the argument against the term “granny gear” I think it daft to suggest it’s sexist or ageist. I’ll let you know if this changes.
Never heard the term boy look, but my wife has used the term man clean before.:whistle:

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
I have never heard of anyone being offended by the term " Granny gear". I would think for it to be derogatory, the user would be trying to belittle the granny gear. But normally, the opposite applies. "Thank god I had a granny gear going up Stelvio". The people who would object are those fools who object to blackboard, whiteboard and much loved childrens comforter, the golliwog.
You have had the opp experience to me, its been used as an insult if someone dared to go into the granny gear.

Has anyone ever objected to blackboard and whiteboard outside of the Daily Mail, comments section.

Never heard the term boy look, or mothers look,

I admit that when my brother try’s to read small writing without his glasses, calling him Mr Maggoo, so maybe I shouldn’t,

Anyone care to be offended on his behalf?

Inertia

Cant stand all this "womens rights" crap thats so hot on the agenda these days. I mean its literally got you (OP) stating that the term granny gear is sexist, FFS. In sports men are naturally more powerful, so associating something thats physically easier to women isn't sexist.
So you are saying associating physical things that are easier to do with women/old people, isn't sexist/ageist?

You have had the opp experience to me, its been used as an insult if someone dared to go into the granny gear.

Has anyone ever objected to blackboard and whiteboard outside of the Daily Mail, comments section.

Would it have been any less of a derogatory insult if the person had replaced the words granny gear with big gear?

Inertia

Would it have been any less of a derogatory insult if the person had replaced the words granny gear with big gear?
nope

Edit, after thinking about it, it wouldn’t be more of an insult to me at least.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
My opinion.
I don't use the term granny ring. Not because I consider it sexist or ageist but I always used 'the small ring' or similar. Just the way it evolved for me personally.

I have no problem with the term granny ring. I don't consider it sexist or ageist.

I've ever ever ever heard anyone in the real world complain it was sexist or ageist, the only place you'll hear someone raise the subject is on the internet.

If I did use the term in the real world, in the unlikely event of a single person complaining about the term, I simply wouldn't use it in front of them, just as a mark of respect. It wouldn't stop me using a word that IMO, has no malice in its use.

The internet isn't the real world...thankfully.

Inertia

I have no problem with the term granny ring. I don't consider it sexist or ageist.

I've ever ever ever heard anyone in the real world complain it was sexist or ageist, the only place you'll hear someone raise the subject is on the internet.
I’ve not actually heard anyone complain personally about it ever.

It may not be sexist or ageist, but if it’s not, How do do we think the term came about?

mustang1

Guru
I just call it low gear, not granny gear.

I don't shave my legs.

If I'm broken down, I make my own way back .

If someone else (SO, friend, relative, male or female) are broken down and I can help, then I will.

Everything else is too complicated for me (aka I've never really thought about all this male/female/black/white stuff). I will occasionally stop for women more than men though if they have broken down but only because I find them more attractive.

gbb

Legendary Member
I’ve not actually heard anyone complain personally about it ever.

It may not be sexist or ageist, but if it’s not, How do do we think the term came about?
That doesn't if I'm honest, concern me. There are no groups, peoples or relatives of people that were (apparently it seems although I doubt it) offended , so it's a non discussion AFAIC. It seems to me some people are getting to the point of being offended...but don't know why. I'd happily listen and reconsider if someone can show me how or why anyone actually was.

Tin Pot

Guru
Why were you surprised?

Because being twenty years my senior and keeping up with me in the swim is unusual, and I’m pretty sure that qualifying for both world championships is unusual.

...What moral high ground are you fishing for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom