"Granny gear" and sexism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I sat on lord Herefords knob once and had my lunch.........
It's a great spot. We had blue skies and brilliant sunshine as we ate our sandwiches, without a breath of wind. A glider swished by below us as the pilot sought out a thermal on the next ridge. Anyway, I was miffed by the size of the Knob compared to mine. It simply has to be erased.

gbb

Legendary Member
Mrs Celine has a granny ring on her bikes too. It never occured to her that the term is sexist - she thought it was called a granny ring because it has fewer teeth - a bit like grandmothers tend to have.
And there you probably have the origin of the expression...

Tin Pot

Guru
Your kidding right? This thread, like many others is one constant battle for the high moral ground, and you think I'm fishing.:banghead:

My only point was 20 years senior and a lot more in some cases wouldn't preclude most people I know from being competitive.

That is all.

And my point...that for those use “granny ring” to indicate that use of the small ring is for the weak are mistaken...was pretty well made, I thought.

If most people you know in their sixties can beat me out of the water over 3.8km I’m obviously not as good as I think I am...which wouldn’t surprise me :laugh: I’m good for a triathlete anyway :P

Plus, I thought it was an interesting tale which I rarely have the opportunity to relate. Funny thing was that I’d also lined up with her at another race earlier in the year...she didn’t even try to pretend to remember me when I said hello :sad:

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
[QUOTE 5241273, member: 9609"]Fair enough, but it now appears to have been considered by many and the overwhelming conclusion is it is neither sexist or ageist.

I suppose there may be some hypersensitivity around such subjects but it is verging on extremism and that is something far far worse.[/QUOTE]
I've seen a lot of people say its not, but noone has said what the expression means if its not sexist/ageist.

I actually think it is an interesting thread. Its interesting that more people seem upset at being asked to consider if the term is sexist/ageist, than people offended by the term. In fact I'm not sure anyone has said they are offended.

keithmac

Guru
In all the time I've ever heard the phrase I've never linked it to old women, some people just seem to find fault just for the sake of it.

I'll get me coat.....

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
In all the time I've ever heard the phrase I've never linked it to old women, some people just seem to find fault just for the sake of it.
and some people seem to enjoy entering the thread to find fault with the motivations of others, so far we have had:
  • its PC gone mad
  • "womens rights" crap
  • a battle for the high moral ground
  • and now some people just seem to find fault just for the sake of it
no-one is forced to think about it if they don't want to. Rather than discuss the topic we get people trying to shut the discussion down by mocking or putting down other posters. If its blatantly not sexist I'm sure it would be easy to disprove rather than just attacking other people motivations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom