"Granny gear" and sexism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kajjal

Guru
[QUOTE 5241081, member: 43827"]I live in Wales and went to England once. It was amazing, I just crossed the border and was in England. Didn't need to go anything like 200 miles.[/QUOTE]

That was from Ali G explaining about the UK :smile:

Tin Pot

Guru
I don't shave my legs.
Just throw away those watts!

;)

gbb

Legendary Member
As usual, the offence is mostly being taken by those who are fed up with 'all this "women's rights" crap'. It's very telling, both about them and about this forum recently.
A clearer statement might help..:okay: are you talking about me or other subjects recently.

I thought I'd been reasonably clear in the OP, but just in case:

The vast majority of people who use this term (including myself for many years) clearly do not intend it to be derogatory or sexist.

That does not (IMO) stop it from being both those things.
Please note, i have not got beyond this point on the thread yet - had a peaceful night.

I can't help but ask swanson, if you used the phrase guilt free for so long,what happened?

Some sort of epiphany? Or corrective lesson?

By the by, if you ride with mixed groups (always a nice idea) have you run the phrase past them?

mustang1

Legendary Member
As usual, the offence is mostly being taken by those who are fed up with 'all this "women's rights" crap'. It's very telling, both about them and about this forum recently.
I'm quite looking forward to equal sexism opportunities when the ship is about to sink. No longer do men have to wait for all the women to get off the ship first.

mustang1

Legendary Member
My opinion.
I don't use the term granny ring. Not because I consider it sexist or ageist but I always used 'the small ring' or similar. Just the way it evolved for me personally.

I have no problem with the term granny ring. I don't consider it sexist or ageist.

I've ever ever ever heard anyone in the real world complain it was sexist or ageist, the only place you'll hear someone raise the subject is on the internet.

If I did use the term in the real world, in the unlikely event of a single person complaining about the term, I simply wouldn't use it in front of them, just as a mark of respect. It wouldn't stop me using a word that IMO, has no malice in its use.

The internet isn't the real world...thankfully.

I call it the feminist gear.
Or
The-guy-who-just-got-fired-coz-he's-too-old gear.
Or simply:
Climbing gear.

Slick

Guru
Because being twenty years my senior and keeping up with me in the swim is unusual, and I’m pretty sure that qualifying for both world championships is unusual.

...What moral high ground are you fishing for?
Your kidding right? This thread, like many others is one constant battle for the high moral ground, and you think I'm fishing.:banghead:

My only point was 20 years senior and a lot more in some cases wouldn't preclude most people I know from being competitive.

That is all.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
[QUOTE 5241249, member: 45"]
We can't, so I don't see a problem with it being discussed. It's weird though that there's a hypersensitivity around simply raising the question.[/QUOTE]
I think it's because it has been an accepted humorous term and has remained there in the unconscious without anyone ever really stopping to consider why a part of a bike is named after something old and female. Asking the question disturbs that unconsciousness.

I'm going to call it a ''little in front, big behind gear''....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom