Grateful for the dead

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Listening to Thin Lizzy this morning, and it struck me the huge volume of work we still enjoy from those rock stars that have passed on to the big gig in the sky. So name a dead rocker, your favourite track, and why.

Think Lizzy - Hollywood. Cracking song, great beat. Phil Lynott's vocals convey the joy and emotion he's putting into the song, although he was already very Ill by then with heroin addiction and kidney problems.

Motorhead - I'll Be Your Sister. Thumping bass track, Lemmy's demented Rickenbacker driving the track onward like a nuclear power locomotive. Those raspy vocals, but you get the sense of real emotion in the lyrics. Priceless stuff.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I can't think what made me think of Gerry Garcia.

Jody

Stubborn git
Would be Queen for me and difficult to pick just one as so many are iconic songs. I know 75% of them are alive but the main man isn't so sure it would count. I remember watching the Wembley gig in '86 and it was amazing back then. Don't think a band could come near to that kind of atmosphere again.

winjim

Smash the cistern
The Boys are Back in Town is one of my most hated songs of all time...

The whole sentiment of it makes me want to vomit.

I'll come back to you with an answer to your question, but it wont be Thin Lizzy :smile:
I thought I hated Thin Lizzy, but then I heard a song on the radio that wasn't TBABIT or Whisky in the Jar, and it wasn't half bad.

Anyway, in terms of big riffage this was a massive song in the clubs I used to frequent as a teenager so always takes me back:

RIP Dimebag Darrell

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Sublime - What I Got

Drugs, Booze, Skateboarding, Surfing, SoCal - Death. He was a bit of a Genius in some songs but others just completely off his head.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I can't think what made me think of Gerry Garcia.

Jerry - as in short for Jerome - Garcia.

I see he was only in his mid-50s when he died.

Thought he went on for longer than that - a bit like his guitar solos, which may not have been quite as long as they seemed at the time.

Top Bottom