Grateful for the dead

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Drago, 13 Feb 2018.

1. Listening to Thin Lizzy this morning, and it struck me the huge volume of work we still enjoy from those rock stars that have passed on to the big gig in the sky. So name a dead rocker, your favourite track, and why.

Think Lizzy - Hollywood. Cracking song, great beat. Phil Lynott's vocals convey the joy and emotion he's putting into the song, although he was already very Ill by then with heroin addiction and kidney problems.

Motorhead - I'll Be Your Sister. Thumping bass track, Lemmy's demented Rickenbacker driving the track onward like a nuclear power locomotive. Those raspy vocals, but you get the sense of real emotion in the lyrics. Priceless stuff.

ADarkDraconis and raleighnut like this.
  2. Smeggers II

Smeggers II Legendary Member

The Boys are Back in Town is one of my most hated songs of all time...

The whole sentiment of it makes me want to vomit.

I'll come back to you with an answer to your question, but it wont be Thin Lizzy :smile:

Smokin Joe, dan_bo, winjim and 2 others like this.
  3. Ian H

Ian H Guru

I can't think what made me think of Gerry Garcia.

smutchin and raleighnut like this.
  4. TinyMyNewt

TinyMyNewt An execrable pun

Zappa, Montana, brilliant, funny, Tina Turner on backing vocals.

5. Smeggers II

Does this count...

6. OP
    OP
    Drago

Drago Guru

It would indeed Smeggers. Not my kind of Rock, but rock nevertheless, and he clearly lived for his art.

Must agree with The Boys Are Back In Town, but even the godlike Phil Lynott had a mortgage to pay.

Saluki, ADarkDraconis and Smeggers II like this.
  7. Smeggers II

I first heard it at a very poignant moment in life, it brings back some pretty weird feelings hearing it again.

Drago likes this.
  8. AndyRM

AndyRM Guru

Sublime - What I Got

9. dan_bo

dan_bo How much does it cost to Oldham?

never new Tina did backing on that.

Disco Boy.

raleighnut likes this.
  10. SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey 61: old body, head still feels the same. Staff Member

Ian H, Fnaar, FishFright and 4 others like this.
  11. Jody

Jody Über legend of a forum GOD!

Would be Queen for me and difficult to pick just one as so many are iconic songs. I know 75% of them are alive but the main man isn't so sure it would count. I remember watching the Wembley gig in '86 and it was amazing back then. Don't think a band could come near to that kind of atmosphere again.

12. winjim

winjim A youth of interminable age

I thought I hated Thin Lizzy, but then I heard a song on the radio that wasn't TBABIT or Whisky in the Jar, and it wasn't half bad.

Anyway, in terms of big riffage this was a massive song in the clubs I used to frequent as a teenager so always takes me back:

RIP Dimebag Darrell

FiveLeavesLeft, Drago, gbb and 2 others like this.
  13. Andrew_P

Andrew_P In between here and there

Drugs, Booze, Skateboarding, Surfing, SoCal - Death. He was a bit of a Genius in some songs but others just completely off his head.

14. Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs Down Under Member

Ian Curtis. Joy Division's time was brief, but produced some memorable music.

15. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guru

Jerry - as in short for Jerome - Garcia.

I see he was only in his mid-50s when he died.

Thought he went on for longer than that - a bit like his guitar solos, which may not have been quite as long as they seemed at the time.

raleighnut likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice