Great bike shops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dubman

Guru
Hi folks , i am basically looking for great bike shops around the midlands , we have samways in Derby but not much else , samways is good for bikes and clothes , but a little thin on the ground with parts.I like to have a look at bits before i buy rather than of internet , so do any of you have an recommendations ? im only intrested in the parts side of things not the bikes.

cheers folks :biggrin:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
dubman said:
Hi folks , i am basically looking for great bike shops around the midlands , we have samways in Derby but not much else , samways is good for bikes and clothes , but a little thin on the ground with parts.I like to have a look at bits before i buy rather than of internet , so do any of you have an recommendations ? im only intrested in the parts side of things not the bikes.

cheers folks :biggrin:

Try the LBS Recommendations, LBS is Local Bike Shop, that what it is there for...:biggrin:

Dave5N

Über Member
The problem is that your LBS, while probably being the best option for advice and servicing, rarely has a good range on display. They can probably get you most things in, but don't have the money to have a large amount of stock.

The bigger chains have a lot more on display but they're likely to be more expensive and you're less likely to get as good support.

In Birmingham, you've got hte Specialized Concept Store which has a good range (obviously mainly Spesh though), then On your Bike in Digbeth (good range, sometimes unhelpful/pushy staff), and the new Cycle Surgery (again good range, but expensive).

Red Kite Cycles in Solihull is a good compromise. You wouldn't really want to travel all the way from Derby just to look at these stores though.

Samways have the rudest service department in the history of rudeness. The staff at specialized are clueless. On your Bike closed down ages ago. Red Kite is pretty Good. Harborne Cycle Surgery is a family shop but has a truly excellent mechanic, a good manager and a good attitude.

Fred Williams are pretty good. Notts and Leicester have some good shops.

Gary D

Samways?

I didn't know On Your Bike had closed. I was in there a few weeks ago.

I don't think it has Mr Paul, as I was in there as well a couple of weeks ago.

Dave5N,
Are you getting mixed up with the shop that was on the A38 Bristol Road in Longbridge/Northfield? Can't remember what it was called but it did have a bright yellow sign!

Gary.

GrahamG

Guru
Have you not been to Mercian cycles?

They should have a shedload of parts available considering that they build up their bikes to customer's specs.

OP
OP
dubman

dubman

Guru
Mercian dont have much on the shelves really lot less than samways. Guess im hard to please really :rolleyes: i have a mate who works at moore large , which is great but sometimes i have to wait a few weeks to get the parts, got my £300 bike for £120 which was great.

GrahamG

Guru
Personally, unless I know I can nip to my LBS from work and that it'll be a stock item or a very quick order, then I just order online - far easier for parts because some bike shops are limited in terms of the distributors that they deal with.

Big T

Guru
Most small shops don't carry much stock. Nothing really in Nottingham apart from Evans or Freewheel. Langdale Lightweights in Mapperley are good for road stuff but it's a very small shop and they don't carry much stock. Julies Cycles and Websters in Leicester are both good. Julies is quite similiar to Samways but they are a bit more road oriented.

Dave5N

Über Member
Gary D said:
I don't think it has Mr Paul, as I was in there as well a couple of weeks ago.

Dave5N,
Are you getting mixed up with the shop that was on the A38 Bristol Road in Longbridge/Northfield? Can't remember what it was called but it did have a bright yellow sign!

Gary.

That was Action Bikes. I was thinking of On Your Bike in Digbeth. Closed last time I looked.

Dave5N

Über Member
I was in Freewheel in Nottingham this week. Very helpful people, but again, limited stock around the bits and pieces. Must be very difficult decisions knowing what to stock to offer a good range without tying up too much capital.

Top Bottom