Great Notts Bike Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

Joe24 said:
I ver much doubt i wil be doing GNBR. I didnt get much sleep last night, and feel pretty tired, so ill be having abit of a lie in and going on my normal training ride with the cycle club.
You might see me riding around on my way there/back. Ill be on my fixed in full Sherwood CC kit, and ill probably end up on abit of the route at some time.

;)
unserious cyclist :laugh:
I was going to say I think the distance is a bit much for a nipper. ;)

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
bonj said:
;)
unserious cyclist :tongue:
I was going to say I think the distance is a bit much for a nipper. ;)

I got 4 and a half hours sleep last night Bonj(not my fault either i tell you!:wink), ive been pretty sleepy all day!!!
Dont worry, i might do somewhere near that tomorrow, maybe add on abit more if i feel like it;)
You know, the thing serious cyclists do;):laugh:

Joe24 said:
Dont worry, i might do somewhere near that tomorrow, maybe add on abit more if i feel like it;)
You know, the thing serious cyclists do;);)

If you are going to do the distance anyway joe, then you may as well as do it so it benefits others, surely? <sigh>
(bet he's on the xbox really, lol)

Joe24

So others benefit?
Ill go give £15 straight to a charity and do a different route thats gonna challenge me, rather then a shitty £2 that a charity gets from people entering GNBR and a stupid route!
Oh, dont do xbox, or playstation.

Joe24

Who saw who then? I joined the ride at about 9:40ish at East Bridgeford, and did the 75mile route, but left at the turning for Hoveringham to leave the mayhem(annoyed a marshall who thought we were on the ride but werent listening to him:laugh::biggrin:)
Wasnt bad though. I saw someone on a recumbent trike, anyone from here?
I was in full Sherwood CC kit, with an older guy on a black Bianchi and someone else on a blue Langdale geared bike with rack and mudguards, that was creaking.
Oh, and i was on my light blue fixed.
Edit: i did just under 75 miles(from home to home, i missed off the proper start and finish). Only averaged 19mph though, had to go slow in some sections due to the amount of cyclists(i said we should have left the route and gone along the A612 but it was decided to join the fun, so we ended up having to slow down, but we did pass a load of cars:laugh:)
Had to go slow at the end aswell, one of the guys out is diabetic and his blood sugar level was low half way around so had to go slow and stop, then on the way back he was going fast, then he slowed down. He was weaving all over the a612 at one stage when he was in front of me:eek: Going from one side of the lane to the other, i asked if he was alright and he said, "no, i dont feel good at all, im not too sure what im doing":eek:
He didnt want to stop, i offered him my cereal bars but he said he was fine, just needed to slow down and think more about what he was doing:eek:

Did do too bad to say i only got abit of sleep friday night, and have been pretty tired.

bonj2

Joe24 said:
Who saw who then? I joined the ride at about 9:40ish at East Bridgeford, and did the 75mile route, but left at the turning for Hoveringham to leave the mayhem(annoyed a marshall who thought we were on the ride but werent listening to him:laugh::o)
Wasnt bad though. I saw someone on a recumbent trike, anyone from here?
I was in full Sherwood CC kit, with an older guy on a black Bianchi and someone else on a blue Langdale geared bike with rack and mudguards, that was creaking.
Oh, and i was on my light blue fixed.
Edit: i did just under 75 miles(from home to home, i missed off the proper start and finish). Only averaged 19mph though, had to go slow in some sections due to the amount of cyclists(i said we should have left the route and gone along the A612 but it was decided to join the fun, so we ended up having to slow down, but we did pass a load of cars:laugh:)
Had to go slow at the end aswell, one of the guys out is diabetic and his blood sugar level was low half way around so had to go slow and stop, then on the way back he was going fast, then he slowed down. He was weaving all over the a612 at one stage when he was in front of me:eek: Going from one side of the lane to the other, i asked if he was alright and he said, "no, i dont feel good at all, im not too sure what im doing":eek:
He didnt want to stop, i offered him my cereal bars but he said he was fine, just needed to slow down and think more about what he was doing:eek:

Did do too bad to say i only got abit of sleep friday night, and have been pretty tired.

You were probably behind me, I left at just gone half 8 so it was probably way less than an hour to east bridgford.
It was really good ride. It was a LOT flatter than i expected, for some reason i vaguely recall the area round eakring being pretty hilly, but it isn't at all :laugh:
I think that almost made it harder...for me anyway. Seemed harder than the northern rock cyclone, probably partly because on the cyclone the climbs gave me a chance to catch up with whatever peleton was in front. On that, there wasn't THAT many fast roadies.
And partly because i didn't actually eat anything on that notts ride... why tf didn't they have flapjacks at the feed stations.... call itself a sportive? tut tut...
Still i did it in 4:09 so averaging 18 including stopping at thurgarton to get some water, so not bad considering i was half knackered from burton joyce onwards...

<rant>

I think you did right not bothering paying though Joe. I'm not sure what i actually GOT for my £20... no timing chip, no free energy drink :smile: wtf :thumbsup:
might as well just turn up. I basically got:
* a gatorade wrist band! YES! (i do actually like that, it is now my best wrist band :rolleyes:)
* a bottle of boots tan mantainer!
* a bottle of suncream!
* the chance to wait around at the start while some dignitary or other announces the start of it! YES!
* a medal!

I whinged at the feed stop at thurgarton at the fact that they were actually CHARGING for the food, 'what you mean it's NOT free? tut'. It wasn't really a sportive, it was effectively a bumbling hybriddists/family session with a 'sportive' tacked on, as opposed to a proper sportive. When you get back from a sportive, you want food, a coffee, your time, and a chat with other cyclists. Not stalls, unicyclists, a crap band and people blowing klaxons. ;)

I'll think twice about doing a council run sportive in future. Well, more accurately, i'll think twice about paying for a council run sportive in future.

</rant>

Rant off, though, as i think that makes it sound like i didn't enjoy it but i really did enjoy it, it was a great route in great weather and the marshalls were great - having them there to make sure you didn't miss a sign and shouting 'clear' on junctions was great.

2Loose said:
If you are going to do the distance anyway joe, then you may as well as do it so it benefits others, surely? <sigh>
(bet he's on the xbox really, lol)

<charity rant>
I'm not sure i buy the 'charity' thing of sportives.
If you WANT to raise money for charity, then fine. But to attach an expectation of raising money for charity for doing a ride is a bit greedy imho.
My whole problem with it is, that it's not the actual *cycling* that raises the money, it's the cajoling and pestering of colleagues and friends and family that raises the money.
It's not the fact that they're so impressed you've cycled so far that convinces them to give them the money, it's the desire to shut you up and not be labelled mean that is the reason they oblige.
I can't help thinking of the peep show episode where Mark raises money for a sponsored bungee jump then chickens out. Sophie then says he should give the money back but he comes up with an unarguable argument as to why he shouldn't and just give it to charity instead. The problem is the two aren't inextricably connected. Well, I'll do the opposite and just do the event but not get "sponsorship".
The two aren't linked.
</rant>

TVC

I spent a few minutes at the start this morning standing next to a couple of guys in Sherwood kit, it's strange but they never mentioned Joe - I thought they wouldn't be able to start without him ;)

Anyway, the stated 75 miles turned out to be over 80 (just as bikely suggested when I keyed in the route). 4hrs40, which wasn't bad for me. I rode along with a few really nice blokes at various points and we helped each other tap out a fairly good pace. The free grub at Wellow was first class, and a big thanks to the local ladies who laid it all on.

I'm off now to use my free Boots 'Passion Flower Moisturising Soap' and the fiming after sun lotion.:ohmy:

markg0vbr

Über Member
had a good ride on the 50, I didn't see any other recumbent :ohmy: nice flat ride, I don't know what the refreshment stops wear like as I only stopped for a quick wizz ;) all in all a good day out.

TVC

bonj;767716I said:
whinged at the feed stop at thurgarton at the fact that they were actually CHARGING for the food, 'what you mean it's NOT free? tut'. It wasn't really a sportive, it was effectively a bumbling hybriddists/family session with a 'sportive' tacked on, as opposed to a proper sportive. When you get back from a sportive, you want food, a coffee, your time, and a chat with other cyclists.</rant>

Ermmm, the food at Wellow (43miles) was all free, and I'm sure they had some home made flapjack as well. No kidding they had valet parking, I rode up and one of the stewards there held my bike whilst I removed my helmet, then he carefully parked it againt a bench for me, very civilised.

Regarding the timing chip, I have to agree it would be nice, but as you say, it is the council, and calling it a Sportive is a bit cheeky. Anyway, I knew exactly what I was signing up for, and the chance to scare some fat blokes on their full-suss Halfraud specials lightened the day.

Mayniac

Don't moan about the unicyclist Bonj. It's the first time I've seen a girl getting undressed whilst riding a bike. :ohmy::smile::tongue::tongue:

It was my first Sportive and I was wary of going off too fast, (which I did), and blowing up. (which I didn't.) Spent much of the first half pedalling alone, due to other folks being too fast or slow for me. Then got together with a couple of lads for the run home, and gradually upped the pace to finish in 4:27, ave speed 17.8 mph.

You were right about the food at Wellow. Next year I might just drive up in my cycling togs for some free cake.;)

Joe24

Bonj, should have done what we did.
Stopped at the windmill cafe to get some food, and had that as the only stop.
If it was my choice, i would have missed the bit where it joins up with the 50 route, and just bombed it down the A612. But going down by the 50 route wasnt bad, lots of car overtaking and stuff.
There were lots of sloooooow riders about, that really cant ride. Riding in the middle of the ****ing road and weaving. We just squeezed past them. Complete idiots.
Some of the signs didnt give you enough notice, going along and just saw a direction sign at the last moment, not good.
The fast roadies Bonj, you missed. Going by the report from the people who did it in the cycle club, they were at the front. They didnt enter though and just waited by where the people come out for the first rider to come out, then did threw and off until they caught up with him. They did it in 3:35 i think.
The food i got free last year was at Wellow. Never stopped anywhere else.
I paid all that money last year aswell, and my timing chip didnt work. They never mentioned that if it wasnt within a foot from the ground to work!
Free last year i got junk leaflets, small sachet of sun cream, and thats it. Oh, got a boots energy bar. And the medal.

Charity hardly gets anything from GNBR, might aswell not enter, just ride the route and give the money you would pay to do it to charity.

Velvet curtain, you didnt see us did you? Might have been just behind you though.

Oh, and Eakring has got a hill. Its huge, like 12% i think, on one side, and a long steep one on the other side.

Not sure who you saw Velvet Curtain, might have been Woody, not sure if he was TTing though. Was it an old guy with a shaven head on a pretty expensive bike?

Someone must have seen us, with the amount of people we went past. The guy on fixed seemed surprised to see me:laugh: Might have been me shouting, "is that fixed, nice":laugh:

TVC

Joe - the only Sherwood guys I recall were the couple at the start, both mid forties, short hair.
I remember the Sherwood kit because on the Squires & Spires in May, a mate and I tucked in behind a couple of your guys and we let them drag us along for 20 miles or so.

Thoroughly good day out on the 50, sorry to hear the sportive was just a ride out, rather than a sportive. Sounds like Joe did the right thing if a training ride was the desire. Lots of lovely people, unfortunately quite a few couldn't think 'around' themselves and were a liability in the groups of slower (even by my standards) riders but what lovely weather for it!

Next year I intend to stay longer at thurgaton, my, those ladies can make cake!

Top Bottom