Great Notts Bike Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markg0vbr

Über Member
it was I on the trice
yes the only bad bit was near the end with all the plebes, shouting "pardon me can i come past" or "passing on your right" didn't work;) three wheel drifting on the gravel was ace. but had some shouting at me to slow down :ohmy: as they wobbled along :welcome:. if i do it next time, I will cut that bit out and just go straight the the car, as all the tat at the end isn't my thing.
all in all some good peeps on the ride and had a good time:wahhey:

Just bothered to look in the goodie bag that was given on completion... anyone want any smoothing lotion for 'orange peel skin', also tanning cream for same? Gotta love Boots, even though the ride probably did more for people's cellulite than anything in the bag could do!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
markg0vbr said:
it was I on the trice
yes the only bad bit was near the end with all the plebes, shouting "pardon me can i come past" or "passing on your right" didn't work;) three wheel drifting on the gravel was ace. but had some shouting at me to slow down :ohmy: as they wobbled along :welcome:. if i do it next time, I will cut that bit out and just go straight the the car, as all the tat at the end isn't my thing.
all in all some good peeps on the ride and had a good time:wahhey:

I saw a guy on a trice. Had a GPS and a camera on i think(might have been a light)
Had one pannier on it aswell.
We went past him pretty fast with a load of people following us. Soon dropped them:laugh:

bonj2

The Velvet Curtain said:
I spent a few minutes at the start this morning standing next to a couple of guys in Sherwood kit, it's strange but they never mentioned Joe - I thought they wouldn't be able to start without him :welcome:

Anyway, the stated 75 miles turned out to be over 80 (just as bikely suggested when I keyed in the route). 4hrs40, which wasn't bad for me. I rode along with a few really nice blokes at various points and we helped each other tap out a fairly good pace. The free grub at Wellow was first class, and a big thanks to the local ladies who laid it all on.

I'm off now to use my free Boots 'Passion Flower Moisturising Soap' and the fiming after sun lotion.:biggrin:

the food was FREE at wellow was it? :ohmy:
why didn't i stop there...:evil::ohmy:
probably because i was chainganging with "quick step" guy and going fairly well. oh an another guy who had flat pedals and toeclips and was always pushing a massive gear. good riding with those guys...
all they had at thurgarton was scones for a quid...:ohmy: scones?:biggrin: are scones nourishing? I'm not convinced.

Joe24

bonj said:
the food was FREE at wellow was it? :evil:
why didn't i stop there...:ohmy::welcome:
probably because i was chainganging with "quick step" guy and going fairly well. oh an another guy who had flat pedals and toeclips and was always pushing a massive gear.

Did that guy drop off? The guy pushing the massive gear?
We saw a guy with flats and straps in a HUGE gear(like big ring and pretty much all the way through his cassete) going along.
Someone i was cycling with told him to change down, doubt he did though.
Wellow was where i stopped last year. Good friendly people, and all free food. Oh, and 2 huge barrels or energy drink. Made too weak though.

Joe24

bonj said:
the food was FREE at wellow was it? :ohmy:
why didn't i stop there...:ohmy::welcome:
probably because i was chainganging with "quick step" guy and going fairly well. oh an another guy who had flat pedals and toeclips and was always pushing a massive gear. good riding with those guys...
all they had at thurgarton was scones for a quid...:evil: scones?:ohmy: are scones nourishing? I'm not convinced.

RIP OFF!!!!
Garden centre at Southwell is nicer, and cheaper.
Well, you get more for your money.
Date and oat crunch is like £1.something. Cery nice it is too, and you get a good sized bit
Which reminds me, i havent been there for a while and just fancy abit......

bonj2

Joe24 said:
Bonj, should have done what we did.
Stopped at the windmill cafe to get some food, and had that as the only stop.
i know, but there weren't that many other people to ride with going at my pace. The two blokes i was riding with didn't stop so i decided to carry on with them.
where's the windmill cafe then?
would have met up with you joe but i thought you were going to be staying in bed :welcome:

Joe24 said:
If it was my choice, i would have missed the bit where it joins up with the 50 route, and just bombed it down the A612. But going down by the 50 route wasnt bad, lots of car overtaking and stuff.
hmmm.. or even just sack off fiskerton, straight through southwell, past brackenhurst.
quite (well, slightly) undulating is the bit between southwell leisure centre and thurgarton iirc.
Joe24 said:
There were lots of sloooooow riders about, that really cant ride. Riding in the middle of the ****ing road and weaving. We just squeezed past them. Complete idiots.
i know, there seemed to be loads in thurgarton and also loads between the racecourse and colwick, where that coned bit was, where the cyclists were going left of the cones because there was a stationary queue of traffic to the right of it, bumbling hybriddists two abreast going about 9mph!:ohmy: grr...

Joe24 said:
Some of the signs didnt give you enough notice, going along and just saw a direction sign at the last moment, not good.
some numpties nearly went the wrong exit at the A46/A617/A616 roundabout just out of newark, i was in a big pack (on the outside fortunately) and some of them started going down the 617 towards southwell...the other shouted and they just swerved back round...

oh and i saw one guy crash into the verge, somewhere around norwell area with those minor roads, the ones in front of him braked too hard for how far behind he was, and i think he went into a front wheel skid, and sort of went over onto the grass. fortunately it was onto the grass though so he was ok.
Joe24 said:
The fast roadies Bonj, you missed. Going by the report from the people who did it in the cycle club, they were at the front. They didnt enter though and just waited by where the people come out for the first rider to come out, then did threw and off until they caught up with him. They did it in 3:35 i think.
The food i got free last year was at Wellow. Never stopped anywhere else.
I paid all that money last year aswell, and my timing chip didnt work. They never mentioned that if it wasnt within a foot from the ground to work!
yeah, there was one peleton that overtook me way before newark absolutely hooning it, and i couldn't keep up with that one at all - that must have been those ones that did 3:35, but then shortly after there was another one that came past that i kept up with and stayed with till past newark, but around egmanton/tuxford area it sort of broke up and spread out and no sizeable groups seemed to re-form from then on.

Joe24 said:
Oh, and Eakring has got a hill. Its huge, like 12% i think, on one side, and a long steep one on the other side.
it wasn't on the route though was it

bonj2

Joe24 said:
Did that guy drop off? The guy pushing the massive gear?
We saw a guy with flats and straps in a HUGE gear(like big ring and pretty much all the way through his cassete) going along.
yeah, he was going well, but i think me and "quick step" guy dropped him around hockerton.
But i lost him at thurgarton 'cos i had to stop to get more liquid, and big-ring-and-flats guy probably overtook then again, and i didn't see either of them again.

bonj2

2Loose said:
Just bothered to look in the goodie bag that was given on completion... anyone want any smoothing lotion for 'orange peel skin', also tanning cream for same? Gotta love Boots, even though the ride probably did more for people's cellulite than anything in the bag could do!

it's going to be out of date stuff they can't shift.
or else some factory worker cocked up and it's actually mayonnaise, and that's why they can't sell it :welcome:

lets hope the wind (and atmosphere) is the same next year, I intend to be on a road bike next year, 16.8mph av. this year so lots to improve on...ok, pub in Fiskerton (or was it Bleasby) slowed me down, Blue Monkey Evolution - yum!, as did cake at Thurgaton, but I think that is respectable and a starting point... perhaps a beer stop is not recommended, or maybe that is part of it...either way, jealous of your times/speeds.

Joe24

Nope, the hill in Eakring wasnt on route. I was dissapointed!
The windmill cafe was i dont know where. You can down a slight hill, then on the up it was on the right. Had a big windmill there. Must have been near Tuxford maybe?:welcome:
I did stay in bed! Was up at 8 and out the house for 8:45. 4 and a half hours sleep on friday night Bonj!!!! I blame my GF:laugh:

thats the way i mean Bonj, get rid of Fiskerton and go along the A612 by Brakenhurst. Its sort of boring, but goes up and down so its more interesting then the back way. I was up for going up Oxton Bank aswell.

In Newark when we got there, there were loads of slow people, and traffic. I did my usual filtering thing, but the rest of my group chickened out!:ohmy:

The reports on the club website is one person saw 3 crashes:eek: One on the HPP road, another in Broughton, where 2 wheels touched. Not good, but apparently the guy just had road rash.
Its down to people trying to ride fast, and trying to ride in a group but not knowing what to do and riding too close/not paying attention!

You might have been with some of the people from my cycle club Bonj. Guy on a black bike with red bars and a Sherwood CC cap? He probably would have been in Sherwood CC colours though:wacko: If it was him, hes Rob. Directions and him arent good:laugh:

Im going to try and get the people around the track in Mansfield to go for abit of a blast/ride.
My intention was to do GNBR, but with not much sleep i wouldnt have been up early enough, or if i did i would have felt abit crap.
I did think about going down to HPP aswell to see if i could spot anyone, but with me remembering how hectic it was from last year, i thought i would leave it.

Did you do a left and through the blue gates, by the wooden hut and right along the lake for the finish? Did anyone not see the bumb untill the last min and then go flying over it too hard this year? It happened last year alot, there were people shouting for everyone to slow down but one numpty was going at it full force and nearly came off, apparently he got alot of air:laugh:

Joe24

I was up for stopping at the fishing lakes in Sibthorpe. New place, but it would have only been about 15miles in at that time:laugh:
Its cheap there though, and you get loads of beans on toast!

Joe24 said:
In Newark when we got there, there were loads of slow people, and traffic. I did my usual filtering thing, but the rest of my group chickened out!:welcome:

The reports on the club website is one person saw 3 crashes:eek: One on the HPP road, another in Broughton, where 2 wheels touched. Not good, but apparently the guy just had road rash.
Its down to people trying to ride fast, and trying to ride in a group but not knowing what to do and riding too close/not paying attention!

Biggest problem I saw were people overtakingmoving out to overtake without looking behind them. I was halfway past someone when someone following started to move out to overtake themselves, even though I had given loads of warning and the people being overtaken were aware of me, but not the dufus!...A car was coming the other way...I don't normally swear but the air was blue! How does it go - signal, check, manoeuvre... numpties.

Top Bottom