Gripshift to trigger - new brake lever?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sheepy1209

Veteran
I've got a Fuji Absolute which has SRAM MRX gripshifts, with Shimano Alivio derailleur, 8-speed cassette and Tektro v-brake levers.
I'm planning to change the right gripshift to a trigger (because the gripshift's horrible to use when it's wet), but keep the left gripshift - I've ordered a Shimano Alivio shifter pod, and new grips to replace the short ones (planning to cut the left grip to make it shorter).

One thing that's troubling me though is that I've seen brake levers described as 'gripshift' or 'rapidfire' compatible - is there much difference? Will I be able to simply keep my existing levers?

I've gone this way specifically because I don't want to change the left gripshift, so it works out cheaper to buy a single pod than to get integrated levers/trigger.

Ta

I'm no expert on it but I guess the 'Gripshift' brake levers are slightly longer. IIRC the brakes on my old bike that had 'gripshift' were independent of the shifter so I see no real reason why you couldn't use them with your new 'rapid fire' setup.

OP
OP
S

Sheepy1209

Veteran
I'm no expert on it but I guess the 'Gripshift' brake levers are slightly longer. IIRC the brakes on my old bike that had 'gripshift' were independent of the shifter so I see no real reason why you couldn't use them with your new 'rapid fire' setup.

Hadn't thought of that - makes sense - in which case going from grip to trigger wouldn't be a problem (might be if I went the other way).
Levers are cheap at the level I'm working at so I'm not too bothered - I just don't want to spend money unnecessarily!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
[QUOTE 1146517"]
Will a Shimano shifter work with SRAM gears?
[/quote]

The MRX ones will, yes.They have the same amount-of-cable-pull-to-change-a-gear as Shimano.
There must be a technical way of saying that...

OP
OP
S

Sheepy1209

Veteran
The MRX ones will, yes.They have the same amount-of-cable-pull-to-change-a-gear as Shimano.
There must be a technical way of saying that...

Yeah, checked all that thanks - it's an Alivio rear mech, the MRX has a 2:1 actuation ratio i.e. same as Shimano.
(sorry, it's got a 2:1 amount-of-cable-pull-to-change-a-geartio :smile:)

OP
OP
S

Sheepy1209

Veteran
Quick update for anyone picking this up in a search:

I replaced my twist shifter with an Alivio trigger pod for the rear derailleur, retained the left-hand twist-grip, fitted new grips and kept the existing brake levers. The whole job went very smoothly and it's transformed the bike - I've not owned a bike with triggers before (this is my first new bike since 1997) and I'm surprised by how much better they make the ride - I change gear far more often now because it's just so easy. Cleaning the entire drivetrain probably helped as well though....

Top Bottom