Groupset upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Portableaj

Ok basically i have just taken my triban 3 into servicing a few hours ago and i have been told that because of the way I gears set up it creates stress on the chain and eventually cause either the chain snapping or stress on the rear derailleur and recently i have had thought of changing from triple crankset to compact however that would involve me getting new shifters I'm saying shifters because I'm in need of new shifters,a new chain and obviously a the crankset what do you lot think ? or do you think i should buy a new groupset?

400bhp

Guru
Can't understand the post. Sorry, can't help.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The only way you would create stress on the chain like that would be running wrong gear combinations like big , big or small small where you cause the chain to turn at an angle rather than in a more straight line..
http://www.bicyclechainrings.com/crosschaining.html
I run shimano 2300 for commuting and i do about 4000 miles a year and i have yet to break a chain or break a rear deraillier .
Who told you that you need a new groupset ? it would not be the LBS after a sale ?

OP
OP
Portableaj

Portableaj

Can't understand the post. Sorry, can't help.
for the past 4 months i have been cycling with a bad chain line right now i have a triple crankset however i'm considering of changing to a double crank to create a better chain line as u previously said before should i buy all the stuff needed to change or should i just buy a whole new groupset to save all that trouble

OP
OP
Portableaj

Portableaj

The only way you would create stress on the chain like that would be running wrong gear combinations like big , big or small small where you cause the chain to turn at an angle rather than in a more straight line..
I run shimano 2300 for commuting and i do about 4000 miles a year and i have yet to break a chain or break a rear deraillier .
Who told you that you need a new groupset ? it would not be the LBS after a sale ?
no one i though if i got a compact groupset e.g. sora compared to buying parts needed it may end up cheaper

400bhp

Guru
for the past 4 months i have been cycling with a bad chain line right now i have a triple crankset however i'm considering of changing to a double crank to create a better chain line as u previously said before should i buy all the stuff needed to change or should i just buy a whole new groupset to save all that trouble

Nope, still don't understand.

OP
OP
Portableaj

Portableaj

and no the lbs didn't tell me that i need to cost wise depending on the groupset i would save money

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Do you cross chain a lot? Is you Chain too short? Can't really understand what the bike shop is telling you, have you had problems with it before the bike told you there was a problem?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
In what way did they say the set up would cause stress to break the chain ? thats what i think we cant understand ?
Anyway off to work now so i hope you get sorted .

OP
OP
Portableaj

Portableaj

Do you cross chain a lot? Is you Chain too short? Can't really understand what the bike shop is telling you, have you had problems with it before the bike told you there was a problem?
yes all the time and no the chain is not too short

OP
OP
Portableaj

Portableaj

In what way did they say the set up would cause stress to break the chain ? thats what i think we cant understand ?
Anyway off to work now so i hope you get sorted .
they didnt they told me its bad for the chain i ended researching the breaking part

DRHysted

Guru
There is nothing wrong with your set up, it's the way you are using the gears that will cause the damage. I run a triple and never use the inside two cassette gears if I'm on the outside crank gear, and likewise never use the two outside cassette gears if I'm on the inside crank gear. When using the middle crank gear I don't use the inside or outside cassette gears. Using this technique has got me to the first service at 3000 miles, when the chain and cassette were changed due to normal wear.

Top Bottom