Groupset upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Portableaj

Portableaj

If you put a compact on and still continue to ride in bad combinations (ie large ring to large sprocket) you will still have the same problems. Save your money and change the way you use your gears.
There is nothing wrong with your set up, it's the way you are using the gears that will cause the damage. I run a triple and never use the inside two cassette gears if I'm on the outside crank gear, and likewise never use the two outside cassette gears if I'm on the inside crank gear. When using the middle crank gear I don't use the inside or outside cassette gears. Using this technique has got me to the first service at 3000 miles, when the chain and cassette were changed due to normal wear.
Just came back from a ride today and it felt weird mainly because i was always using the top crank it feels too easy on the middle crank middle gear its just feels too easy and if i go big crank low gear its gonna be too hard

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
wotDHRystedsaidifyouconstantlyrunabadchainlinetheneverythinginthatdrivetrainwillwearataferociousrateirrespectiveofdoubletriplecompactorotherwisesochangethewayyouuseyourgearsratherthanchangethehardwearbutofcourseitmayallallreadybepastthepointofnoreturnandyoumayneedtoreplaceeverythinganyway

Ok basically i have just taken my triban 3 into servicing a few hours ago and i have been told that because of the way I gears set up it creates stress on the chain and eventually cause either the chain snapping or stress on the rear derailleur and recently i have had thought of changing from triple crankset to compact however that would involve me getting new shifters I'm saying shifters because I'm in need of new shifters,a new chain and obviously a the crankset what do you lot think ? or do you think i should buy a new groupset?

Basically the issue seems to be one of a rough sounding gearchange that may or may not necessitate a change of cassette or chainrings and or levers or perhaps everything and maybe a carbon kitchen sink but then what do you do about those tricky stains that normal powders won't shift and should you really exceed the manufacturer's recommended tyre pressures but if you need a new chain as well the price will be higher still and then you need to think about a dynamic bike fit but it may just be that your limit screws are a touch out but it may not and then again it could be the fault of the bloody LBS who sold you the thing but you can't find the receipt and anyway you bought it online and the wheel bearings are not as new as they were but what is and does anyone really take Boris Johnson seriously and what about those yogurts with fruit in the corner and why do wasps look like bees but not make honey and does Madagascar exist and why is there no gearchange on my fixie and Shimano gears are hard to set up especially on smaller frames because of the likelihood of a crossed chain and I'm sorry but your original post was so garbled that I was unable to find what the question was but the answer is probably yes.

I hope this has helped.

OP
OP
Portableaj

Portableaj

wotDHRystedsaidifyouconstantlyrunabadchainlinetheneverythinginthatdrivetrainwillwearataferociousrateirrespectiveofdoubletriplecompactorotherwisesochangethewayyouuseyourgearsratherthanchangethehardwearbutofcourseitmayallallreadybepastthepointofnoreturnandyoumayneedtoreplaceeverythinganyway
Basically the issue seems to be one of a rough sounding gearchange that may or may not necessitate a change of cassette or chainrings and or levers or perhaps everything and maybe a carbon kitchen sink but then what do you do about those tricky stains that normal powders won't shift and should you really exceed the manufacturer's recommended tyre pressures but if you need a new chain as well the price will be higher still and then you need to think about a dynamic bike fit but it may just be that your limit screws are a touch out but it may not and then again it could be the fault of the bloody LBS who sold you the thing but youcan't find the receipt and anyway you bought it online and the wheel bearings are not as new as they were but what is and does anyone really take Boris Johnson seriously and what about those yogurts with fruit in the corner and why do wasps look like bees but not make honey and does Madagascar exist and why is there no gearchange on my fixie and Shimano gears are hard to set up especially on smaller frames because of the likelihood of a crossed chain and I'm sorry but your original post was so garbled that I was unable to find what the question was but the answer is probably yes.

I hope this has helped.
But it does help to make posts more understandable.
yes is does help but u can clearly understand what im saying compared to writing everything with no spaces

OP
OP
Portableaj

Portableaj

erm yes to a new groupset or yes to changing
Basically the issue seems to be one of a rough sounding gearchange that may or may not necessitate a change of cassette or chainrings and or levers or perhaps everything and maybe a carbon kitchen sink but then what do you do about those tricky stains that normal powders won't shift and should you really exceed the manufacturer's recommended tyre pressures but if you need a new chain as well the price will be higher still and then you need to think about a dynamic bike fit but it may just be that your limit screws are a touch out but it may not and then again it could be the fault of the bloody LBS who sold you the thing but youcan't find the receipt and anyway you bought it online and the wheel bearings are not as new as they were but what is and does anyone really take Boris Johnson seriously and what about those yogurts with fruit in the corner and why do wasps look like bees but not make honey and does Madagascar exist and why is there no gearchange on my fixie and Shimano gears are hard to set up especially on smaller frames because of the likelihood of a crossed chain and I'm sorry but your original post was so garbled that I was unable to find what the question was but the answer is probably yes.

I hope this has helped.
yes for upgrading the groupset or yes to changing to compact

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Just came back from a ride today and it felt weird mainly because i was always using the top crank it feels too easy on the middle crank middle gear its just feels too easy and if i go big crank low gear its gonna be too hard
I don't normally dare giving mechanical advice as I'm a pure disaster on wheels :biggrin: @Portableaj but I think here I can help.
You are using the gears wrong, because the right way feels weird.
You can either learn how to use them without cross-chaining, or try a different ratio (more/less teeth in back and/or front sprockets).
Or you could go fixed/singlespeed, no gears.

boydj

Legendary Member
Try riding in the middle chainring most of the time. Use the big chainring when you get over 20mph and the small chainring when you are struggling to get up a hill. That way you'll keep a fairly straight chainline and minimise wear.

400bhp

Guru
erm yes to a new groupset or yes to changing

yes for upgrading the groupset or yes to changing to compact

you need to update the groupset then upgrade the compact probably at a later date say tomorrow morning or even if you have decided to ask for the upgrade later today but then again it might be better to do the former rather than the latter but that depends upon whether it's wishful thinking on your part or mine depending upon the time of the month and the distance of the moon to the earth

happy to help

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Across the 24 gears on your bike there are a lot of near duplicates. There is no need to ride with the chain on the big ring if you are then using the largest cog on the rear.

From what I remember the triban 3 has a 50-39-30 chainset and a 12-13-15-17-19-21-23-25 cassette. Assuming these figures then you get the following gear inches for each combination: -

gear-inch.png

Wherever the numbers are the same then that gear combination will feel the same on the road. By the time you are down at 50-25 then 39-19, and the chain line will be a lot better.

To change the groupset on the bike you are looking at well over the price of the bike new, and even just to change to compact would mean new chainset, front mech and STI, which will cost a decent proportion of the bike's value for little more than vanity. IMHO it is not worth it, just learn to use the gears more sympathetically and you will be fine.

Oh and for the record, I have two bikes with 2300 triples on them, between them they have been ridden for over 12000 miles without an of the problems you describe.

OP
OP
Portableaj

Portableaj

Try riding in the middle chainring most of the time. Use the big chainring when you get over 20mph and the small chainring when you are struggling to get up a hill. That way you'll keep a fairly straight chainline and minimise wear.
erm i do about 20 mph but now i am trying to ride the gears properly i will find it hard to ride near the bottom on the top crank

OP
OP
Portableaj

Portableaj

I don't normally dare giving mechanical advice as I'm a pure disaster on wheels :biggrin: @Portableaj but I think here I can help.
You are using the gears wrong, because the right way feels weird.
You can either learn how to use them without cross-chaining, or try a different ratio (more/less teeth in back and/or front sprockets).
Or you could go fixed/singlespeed, no gears.

Fixed gear hell no London is not flat for that same with single speed and right not i am trying to use my gears without cross chaining but it feels extremely easy in the middle crank middle gear

boydj

Legendary Member
erm i do about 20 mph but now i am trying to ride the gears properly i will find it hard to ride near the bottom on the top crank
If you have a decent cadence, 20mph should be about cog 7 or 8 in the middle ring and about 5 in the big ring. Either way it should not be too difficult.

OP
OP
Portableaj

Portableaj

Across the 24 gears on your bike there are a lot of near duplicates. There is no need to ride with the chain on the big ring if you are then using the largest cog on the rear.

From what I remember the triban 3 has a 50-39-30 chainset and a 12-13-15-17-19-21-23-25 cassette. Assuming these figures then you get the following gear inches for each combination: -

gear-inch.png

Wherever the numbers are the same then that gear combination will feel the same on the road. By the time you are down at 50-25 then 39-19, and the chain line will be a lot better.

To change the groupset on the bike you are looking at well over the price of the bike new, and even just to change to compact would mean new chainset, front mech and STI, which will cost a decent proportion of the bike's value for little more than vanity. IMHO it is not worth it, just learn to use the gears more sympathetically and you will be fine.

Oh and for the record, I have two bikes with 2300 triples on them, between them they have been ridden for over 12000 miles without an of the problems you describe.
depends on the groupset

Top Bottom