Groupset upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wakou

Über Member
+1 Robert, The OP has been asked a number of times, and still insists that punctuation is not important. If he CBA to ask in clear English, I CBA to answer. One piece of advice for him..... If he is going to buy a new gruppo, he should consider buying a new bike, or perhaps something s/h with better components. A Triban 3 is not worth spending money on. A Sora gruppo is going to cost > the cost of his Triban. If he loves the Triban, perhaps even another bike from Decathlon, for around the same price point but in compact, then flog the old one, or convert to fixie/SS for for pub/shops/beater bike?

redcard

Veteran
If the OP is finding cycling in normal gears too easy then he should cycle up more hills.

Perhaps he has found a tarmac equivalent of the Penrose steps?

screenman

Legendary Member
Maybe English is not their first language, maybe like myself they had a poor education. Maybe they are just plain lazy, I prefer to think the former rather than the latter.

My advice on the subject would be to stop talking internet speeds, learn to pedal faster and smoother using a good selection of gear ratio's, aiming for a cadence in the 90rpm area or maybe a tad more.

OP
OP
Portableaj

Portableaj

+1 Robert, The OP has been asked a number of times, and still insists that punctuation is not important. If he CBA to ask in clear English, I CBA to answer. One piece of advice for him..... If he is going to buy a new gruppo, he should consider buying a new bike, or perhaps something s/h with better components. A Triban 3 is not worth spending money on. A Sora gruppo is going to cost > the cost of his Triban. If he loves the Triban, perhaps even another bike from Decathlon, for around the same price point but in compact, then flog the old one, or convert to fixie/SS for for pub/shops/beater bike?
Maybe English is not their first language, maybe like myself they had a poor education. Maybe they are just plain lazy, I prefer to think the former rather than the latter.

My advice on the subject would be to stop talking internet speeds, learn to pedal faster and smoother using a good selection of gear ratio's, aiming for a cadence in the 90rpm area or maybe a tad more.
First of all ,English is my first language. I know the use of punctuation and the purpose of it. It's extremely ott that you lot are going crazy over it. Clearly you can understand it. It's just ur ignorance to ignore it or think that just because this person isn't using punctuation, that means its pointless the to answer or read. Because this person is stupid or can't speak English well or something else negative. Come on we are on the internet were u dont need to go all pedantic about this. You can all understand it well. However I have released most of you guys are over a certain age where there is not such thing of internet speaking and they can't understand anything without punctuation. Lets get back to the main subject now because talking about punctuation on a cycling forum is just plain ridiculous now. Getting back to the subject I was happy was cycling on the gear that i was on until i was told that i was cross chaining and cross chaining is bad. However, the cheapest triban bike with a compact group set is £600 and i am not spending that much money it as I do lock my bike up a lot in London. And i was thinking or getting a compact but it might end up being close to £200 the price of the sora groupset on ribble because i need two whole shifter. Not due to the compact crank i know i need one, but I need them because, they are bent. And I do pedal quite fast I'm not a slow cyclist except on hills thats way i find it too easy to just pedal on the gear i was on to have a better chainline and if i go on the top crank lower gear i will find it ok to hard and this all depends on the elevation and the wind speeds too.

OP
OP
Portableaj

Portableaj

My head hurts after reading this thread.

Please us punctuation, it's good manners really.
My head hurts after reading this thread.

Please us punctuation, it's good manners really.
Honestly how old are you lot this is a cycling forum. We should be talking about bikes here not punctuation is it overly pedantic here and u cannot please anymore. And there is a time and place where I use punctuation appropriately. Cycling forums are not really the place to get all fuzzy about it. They r words u can clearly understand them.

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
Thinks.... "Must resist commenting on use of where vs were".

Fail!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Ok before i was told about this i was doing a lot a cross chaining so like top crank middle to top cassette depending on the wind which is ok for me and now because i was told about cross chaining it got me worried so decided to cycle and middle crank middle cassette which feels too easy for me
Can I just clarify? You are generally using the big chainring and the middle to top end of the cassette (smallest few gears)? If so, this is not cross chaining.

Cross chaining is where you are running the gears big to big or small to small.

OP
OP
Portableaj

Portableaj

I'd argue that some of them actually aren't english words, but ur rite peepl can understand, it's just harder work - when you're asking for help you'll get a better response if your text can be understood immediately without extra effort.
I know that same of these word arent proper english words but honestly most people understand r and u and all these other words. Plus they end up being pedantic when I the use of punctuation is wrong. On a cycling forum. Where use of english language shouldn't matter. However, I have noticed most people how are on here are people who don't understand the point of shorten text on the internet or not using punctuation, which takes long to type down, compared to just typing it down without having these rules involved. This can clearly be read with punctuation or not.

This is entertaining but is getting trollish. I suspect the OP is trolling for a bet...

The absence of punctuation is not as much of an issue as the spelling and the bizarrely inconsistent use of prepositions.

Nonetheless, I will have a stab at giving a concise, clear reply:

If you are cross-chaining, you do not need to spend money on any new parts. Just stop cross-chaining. Try to avoid riding in gears that push the chain to the extreme left at the front and the extreme right at the rear. And vice versa.

It is not rocket surgery. A modern groupset will give you so much overlap between chainrings that you can spend a lot of your time comfortably in the middle and outer chainring. The inside one will help you on climbs, but may be largely unused on the flat.

Most people seem to like riding at a cadence between 70 and 90 rpm. If you are chunking along at 20mph then you are doing something right. Just stop crossing the chain and try to write comprehensible English.

And if you were trolling for an amusing response, I take my hat off to you. You suckered all the pedants on the forum for nearly a day. But really, they just want to offer helpful advice to people with whom they share a language and a passion for bicycling.

Good luck with the gears and don't spend a sou you don't have to.

OP
OP
Portableaj

Portableaj

Can I just clarify? You are generally using the big chainring and the middle to top end of the cassette (smallest few gears)? If so, this is not cross chaining.

Cross chaining is where you are running the gears big to big or small to small.
Thank you Phill. Originally I have been doing that a lot. And most of the time I'm on the Big crank and I vary from the middle to top cassette. However I am trying to avoid cross chain but its hard due to it being too easy on the middle crank and middle cassette.

Top Bottom