Guy Martin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[QUOTE 3348768, member: 9609"]20 minutes to repair a puncture - a whole team of experts 20 minutes to repair a puncture - that's like a third of an hour to put a different wheel on ....

20 minutes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

In a faired recumbent with a monocoque chassis it is not that easy.....

The_Cycling_Scientist

Über Member
Watched his Spitfire one and have this on record as I was at work.. (still am now **Yawn**) so I will be watching later this evening (after my sleep!) I am rather looking forward to watching it! Little things like that are going to get me though this week :biggrin:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Weird that Burrows and Kingsbury came up with a side-by-side. All that frontal area!

It was made for TV, wasn't it! Proper tandem wouldn't have worked so well visually although I bet it would have been more streamlined.

I think that in some ways this was a more cooperative effort because of the design due to the length of the challenge

If simple streamlining was the way forwards then the present Hour Holder is Project Cleo who use this format:

Kopie-von-2013_Rendering_Rollout.jpg

In "back to back tandems " the communication and relationship between the pilot and stoker is definitely less intimate and often remote, teher is also the point where the pilot does all the work of steering and guidance whilst the stoker just provides power

With this design they were equals

Secondly the cooling is an issue. The simple vent cooled both. In a back to back design the pilot would have been cooled, but blocked the cool air from the stoker. Without a second intake the stoker would overheat, and a second intake in a position where the stoker would be cooled would increase drag

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
The Oxford English Dictionary says
Definition of tandem in English:
tandem
Line breaks: tan¦dem

bicycle with seats and pedals for two riders, one behind the other

Having two things arranged one in front of the other:

As they offset the seats so Guy was slightly (30cm ish) behind Jason , its down to debate as to "one behind each other" as the dictionary does not say they need to be "in Line"

If you were in a race, and you went over the line a tyres width in front of your competitor , the looser would be classed as being behind you , although they are actually almost at the side of you.

galaxy

Veteran
If only the TV had more programs like this. Or am I just getting old lol.

Arch

Married to Night Train
The Oxford English Dictionary says
Definition of tandem in English:
tandem
Line breaks: tan¦dem

bicycle with seats and pedals for two riders, one behind the other

Having two things arranged one in front of the other:

As they offset the seats so Guy was slightly (30cm ish) behind Jason , its down to debate as to "one behind each other" as the dictionary does not say they need to be "in Line"

If you were in a race, and you went over the line a tyres width in front of your competitor , the looser would be classed as being behind you , although they are actually almost at the side of you.

In cycling terms, what they rode was a "sociable tandem" .

subaqua

What’s the point
[QUOTE 3349008, member: 9609"]they woild need to make a better job of the urine problem in that design.[/QUOTE]
I thought that too!

I know it is rude to cross-post, but.....

On the CTC website there is the suggestion from someone at the event that the puncture repair took so long because of a problem with the axle:

Elizabethsdad said:
The total stoppage time mentioned on the program came to 1 hour 35 minutes. According to a friend of mine who was there the 20 minute wheel change was so long because Mike B had to do a quick bit of hand re-threading on the axle. The last 24 hour endurance event I was part of was the Shennington 24 hour pedal car race as part of a team of six swapping drivers every half an hour and that was pretty knackering.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Very interesting program and a great feat - terrific commitment etc.

Ultimately though I thought it was not comparable to the Americans at all.

In my mind it wasn't a tandem bicycle at all - it was a pedal powered car.

Every credit to them though - horrible environment to spend 24 hours in.
I like the idea of the fastest pedal car... sounds much more fun!

Top Bottom