Guy Martin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
200mph on ordinary roads with kerbs and manholes and you have to remember the whole circuit and commit to them.... nope, couldn't do that [well, I could but much, much slower!]

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
The sheer look of joy, pure, instinctive, joy, on his face when he realised he'd won the class was a pleasure to behold.

Failure to run the bike, even if only on a dyno, to uncover the fuel valve problem was a schoolboy error thobut.

And I did think that just chucking a turbo on the front of an engine that would need to perform at 10,000 - 14,000 ft was creating the mother of all fuel/air mapping problems. Must surely have been running horribly rich at the start?

NB I've never owned a bike with fuel injection I'm a Dell'Orto man through and through.

EDIT: cross posted with @Panter

Just catching up. I think the motorbike list I'm on nailed it, they are the kings of discovering the low hanging fruit when it comes to winning stuff. I've not watched the gravity one yet although it'll be interesting as the 20 yr old did some downhill longboarding which had street luge guys at it, so we know a bit about it. The turbo was on the bike from 2010, it was obviously a load of stuff he'd had sitting around for a while that seemed like as good a thing as any to chuck in. I'm surprised that he didn't give it more of a shakedown, although I'm not sure where he'd have run it in the UK, no tracks that's for sure. Far too loud. Having done a little TV I'm guessing the budget was on a shoestring and the timing was all as tight as possible so there probably just wasn't time to get the bike sorted. They do have a knack for making everything sound death defying, but I'm with the mechanic on the Pikes Peak one, the bike breaking down and thereby becoming unpredictable was by far the biggest worry.

chewa

plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens
I ..

He is a nutter. I fear he won't ever get old, but he'll have had some fun in the meantime!

I agree, but a likeable nutter. He has the same easy way of putting stuff over as the late Fred Dibnah and, while I'd love to see him win at the TT, hope he gives it up before he does himself a serious injury. He seems like a nice guy and fellow bikers who have met him say there is no side to him.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
He turned up to do some test riding at one of our track days. People who were there agreed he was a good bloke.

Also, not that many riders die road racing. The Irish 'tracks' are much more scary than the TT and road racers have a long career but I'd imagine he'll ride to the end of that and then make a pretty penny as a TV personality. He has managed to be likeable outside of his field (specifically, he did One Man and His Dog in someone else's field) which is what you need.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Just been catching up with the series. Guy is great to watch and the bike...but I think you're all missing a star of the show.
The hovercraft building bloke. An old bloke with a beard, building record attempting machinery in a shed. Even more 'British' than the bike!
But it was badly designed, it nearly killed him when the front fan smashed in his face on a test run.
I was very worried when they sent him back out after gaffer taping the hovercraft back together, I'm glad Guy decided to chicken out of that one, that high speed crash much have been very scary. He showed his racer instincts by clinging on to the machine as it rolled instead to jumping off, which is what 99% of us would have done.

But it was badly designed, it nearly killed him when the front fan smashed in his face on a test run.
I was very worried when they sent him back out after gaffer taping the hovercraft back together, I'm glad Guy decided to chicken out of that one, that high speed crash much have been very scary. He showed his racer instincts by clinging on to the machine as it rolled instead to jumping off, which is what 99% of us would have done.
It reminded me a lot of Miss England. Have you ever seen it at the Science Museum? Few thin planks of wood, huge sodding engine and in the cockpit...wicker chairs :smile:
Henry Segrave and his mechanic died later in Miss England II just after he captured the world record...so can't blame Guy for the decision at all. I wouldn't have got in the thing at all.
That front fan must have been damaged or not properly inspected when it was fitted to do that. OT On Scrapyard Wars airscrews were one of the things found 'laying about' in the scrapyard that were actually brand new. Gaffer taping something back together your life may depend on? Been done before

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Growing up in the 60/70's and the two most important things for us were our bikes and our bogies. Thoroughly enjoyed therefore watching Guy set the new world speed record for bogies.

Top Bottom