Gym GoTri - Everyone should have a go!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Hi guys!

Pretty beaming right now - completed my first Gym GoTri! It was 500m Rower, 4.6 miles (7.5km) Spin Bike, 0.93 miles (1.5km) Treadmill Run.

I was a little nervous of doing it as I have not done the rowing machine for ages and I usually focus on either cycling or running - so it was fun to combo it! No idea why I was worried (natural anxiety!!), it was mainly for pacing my energy. I made sure I was hydrated and not hungry as well. I managed to get the following times:
Row - 2:41
Bike - 17:20
Run - 12:37

Really happy as I managed to go between the two quite nicely and I felt good all the way through despite my chest still being a little tickly and tight.

I really would urge everyone to do it as it's not overly competitive, changes up your gym routine and you can keep trying to improve each time!

https://www.gotri.org/

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Well done, but I'd rather gouge my eyes out with a spoon than go to a gym.

Tin Pot

Guru
Everyone should tri :smile:
Swim a bit, bike a bit, run a bit - how hard can it be?

Here’s another place to find an event:

http://www.trifinder.co.uk/

I found a local evening sprint race for my first event, two weeks before I booked it and bought a bike. That’s also when I joined CC. I came sixth from last :smile:

It’s been a great ride ever since.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Well done, but I'd rather gouge my eyes out with a spoon than go to a gym.

Oh, I agree in that I much prefer doing my exercise outside, but when the weather is cold and I have to be at work (which is the leisure centre I go to the gym at) It's much more convenient.
I used to be a gym bunny working at a private gym, nowadays with work and kids its a lot easier to use the commute for cardio and i can cover any strength work at home with chin bar , a couple of dumbells, couple of those elastic bands and the stairs,

Drago

Legendary Member
I used to love the rowing. Used to work my lats with 220kg bent dumbell rows, so the rowing machine was a breeze in comparison.

I quite like gyms, but proper ones with concrete floors and dodgy lighting. These shiny chrome and white modern gyms feel like working out in a hi tech kitchen.

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
I mean...I hate swimming, really hate it! so the rowing option is brilliant for me - I have thalassophobia, :eek:which is stupid as I love the beach! But the swimming is the only reason I won't try triathlon

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I used to love the rowing. Used to work my lats with 220kg bent dumbell rows, so the rowing machine was a breeze in comparison.

I quite like gyms, but proper ones with concrete floors and dodgy lighting. These shiny chrome and white modern gyms feel like working out in a hi tech kitchen.
I liked rowing but as im a midget i lacked the leverage to get real good times

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Oh, I agree in that I much prefer doing my exercise outside, but when the weather is cold and I have to be at work (which is the leisure centre I go to the gym at) It's much more convenient.
Presumably you still have to get there? So use studded tyres and avoid the hell of the rowing/cycling/running nowhere.

In the spirit of this thread: everyone should use studded tyres. ;)

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Yeah, I still have to get here! Hehe, its 10 minutes from my house, but the roads are hell and its too cold to cycle, even with my amazing gloves and base layers.

The point of this post is to try and advertise how good GoTri is for getting people into sport in general. I felt much more benefit today from combining disciplines than just running or cycling! even though the distances are short, it's good fun for everyone

Alan O

Über Member
I have to say I enjoy the gym, and the rowing machine is probably my favourite (though they have a couple of fancy combined x-trainer/stepper things which are great). I use the gym when the weather discourages me from cycling - fortunately I live only about 10 minutes walk away.

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
I have to say I enjoy the gym, and the rowing machine is probably my favourite (though they have a couple of fancy combined x-trainer/stepper things which are great). I use the gym when the weather discourages me from cycling - fortunately I live only about 10 minutes walk away.

Yeah, see I work at the leisure centre where the gym is - so I have no excuse, I have been loading up on spin classes, virtual ones mainly - as they are free for me to do - so should really be making the most of it.

Alan O

Über Member
Yeah, see I work at the leisure centre where the gym is - so I have no excuse, I have been loading up on spin classes, virtual ones mainly - as they are free for me to do - so should really be making the most of it.
Yep, no excuse ^_^ I'd certainly take advantage of it if I worked at the leisure centre.

Top Bottom