had my first driver induce off on Wednesday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Is there a way of checking whether or not someone is insured just from their reg? What happens as a cyclist if you're hit by an uninsured driver, would you have to take the driver to court to get compensation as there is no insurance company to go through?
MIB although think that might cover mostly support for recovery from injury rather than damage to property?

Slick

Guru

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 5025730, member: 9609"]she needs her driving licence revoked - so pitfalls could be she runs someone else over.[/QUOTE]
Indeed. Even if you settle this privately, she'd still have to tell her insurer else the policy will be invalid... and I bet she won't, as that's a major reason to settle privately, so if the insurer finds out somehow (maybe careless words from her or a relative) when she runs someone else over, they'll probably refuse to honour her insurance and whoever she hit will be left trying to extract blood from a stone or at least damages from someone it'll probably bankrupt. (Edit: good point above - I was forgetting about the MIB uninsured drivers scheme. So it's not quite as bad for the victim, but all other motorists are paying for it.)

[QUOTE 5025730, member: 9609"]there doesn't seem to be a week go past on this forum without one of us getting mowed down by a moron - It just goes to show what utter rot gov stats are on how safe cycling is.[/QUOTE]
There's 40,000 members on this forum and we ride more than most, so would about one report a week be that incredible? Especially as this one, while spectacular, fortunately seems to have ended up as a minor injury collision. See also https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/who-has-never-had-an-off.217837/

OP
OP
NickNick

NickNick

Go to minor injuries. I can;t imagine waiting a few days is an issue if you still have symptoms. I've claimed for whiplash previously (car accident) and the symptoms didn't make themselves known for a few days (as is often so...and no it wasn't a scam claim ;) )

If you're all ok and they stump up enough to cover all repairs, up to you

I'd still want it recorded against her insurance (if she has any as Globalti says) and with the police for stats purposes

Didn't even know minor injuries units were a thing, thanks for that, looks like the walk in clinic in town doubles up as a minor injury unit, will go along tomorrow and get them to have a look at my back.

Tim Hall

[QUOTE 5025730, member: 9609"]
there doesn't seem to be a week go past on this forum without one of us getting mowed down by a moron - It just goes to show what utter rot gov stats are on how safe cycling is.
.[/QUOTE]
Firstly, sorry to hear of your crash @NickNick. I hope (a) no injuries appear after the shock has worn off and (b) you get it sorted OK.

However, @User9609 , we don't get to hear of the almost countless journeys where someone isn't mowed down by a moron. We only hear of the Bad Stuff and that's what sticks in the mind. What is so memorable about a ride where Nothing Happened? So I'd take issue with your statement that "It just goes to show what utter rot gov stats on how safe cycling is". For a view comparing rides where people were killed or seriously injured versus those who weren't, while cycling in London, have a look here:https://www.gicentre.net/blog/2013/11/24/risk-cycling-and-denominator-neglect

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
However, @User9609 , we don't get to hear of the almost countless journeys where someone isn't mowed down by a moron.
Actually, we do, some of them, but they're lumped into the "Your ride today" (which I'll catch up with some time around 2019 at current progress ;) ), "Tales from today's commute", "Tales from today's utility ride" and probably others, whereas bad stuff more often gets a new thread.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
accepted it was her fault but are keen to settle privately rather than go through the insurance.

alarm.png

vickster

Legendary Member
Actually, we do, some of them, but they're lumped into the "Your ride today" (which I'll catch up with some time around 2019 at current progress ;) ), "Tales from today's commute", "Tales from today's utility ride" and probably others, whereas bad stuff more often gets a new thread.
Yes, because people are mostly looking for specific advice regarding an incident rather than just sharing their happy experience for that day

OP
OP
NickNick

NickNick

I must admit this thread has me wandering whether she was even insured at all. Will try and work out later on if she is, there doesn't seem to be a specific way to find out online, but the .gov site @Slick posted can be used to check if a vehicle is taxed and iirc you can't tax an uninsured vehicle anymore.

If she isn't insured, I will get some money off them to cover my costs and then report to police.

If she is insured, after reading all over your posts I'm leaning towards going through her insurance even if my back turns out fine, will just need to work out a way to get the wife's bike up and running again (can't believe one of the only times I've ever borrowed her bike, I've broken it so badly!) in the mean time. What sort of time frame do these things take (assuming there's just property claim and not injury) to resolve with the insurers?

Will also spend some time this evening going through the crash advice thread.

OP
OP
NickNick

NickNick

The shop in question has cctv cameras that should have caught the whole incident, is there any legal procedure I can use to get them to give me the relevant cctv footage seeing as it is covering public area? Or is it at their discretion seeing as its privately operated cctv? As much as I am on good terms with them, if I insist on going through insurance I'm not sure if they would voluntarily give me a copy.

Top Bottom