had my first driver induce off on Wednesday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just to chip in with my one experience of trying to settle a non-fault RTC privately. The private hire driver jerked me around for several weeks before disappearing. This left me with £200 for what should have been a £700-800 settlement for material loss. Since then I have ALWAYS gone by the book and followed the official route. You may not always be happy with the outcome but it is usually within reason and at least the guilty party has their card marked!

[QUOTE 5026403, member: 9609"]https://www.cyclechat.net/attachments/hiviz3-jpg.381156/[/QUOTE]
That can't be what you meant to link to.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Firstly, sorry to hear of your crash @NickNick. I hope (a) no injuries appear after the shock has worn off and (b) you get it sorted OK.

However, @User9609 , we don't get to hear of the almost countless journeys where someone isn't mowed down by a moron. We only hear of the Bad Stuff and that's what sticks in the mind. What is so memorable about a ride where Nothing Happened? So I'd take issue with your statement that "It just goes to show what utter rot gov stats on how safe cycling is". For a view comparing rides where people were killed or seriously injured versus those who weren't, while cycling in London, have a look here:https://www.gicentre.net/blog/2013/11/24/risk-cycling-and-denominator-neglect
Thank you, thank you, thank you, Tim! I have been looking for this for many months after seeing it a good while back.

Tim Hall

[QUOTE 5026403, member: 9609"]@Tim Hall
I doubt there is more than 500 regular contributors, and how do you know that everyone kncked off comes back onto the site to report what happened, I'm sure some just pack in cycling then and there and we never here from them again.
There was this survey
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/cycling-injury-survey.222247/
28% of those members who responded had a cycling related injury in the past 12 months. thats more than a quarter!
indeed those who have had an off will have been more likely to respond but likewise many who have been knocked off probably pack in cycling and CC.

It's not a good situation out there, we are treated terribly on the roads, please don't play into the politicians and polices hands who would just love it if they felt nothing needs doing.[/QUOTE]
Your survey that you link to is a self selecting population and the question asked doesn't differentiate between "self inflicted" injuries, such as rider clumsiness and injuries caused by being hit by other road users. Yet in your post above you seem to suggest the claimed 28% injury rate to mean only injuries caused by other road users. A whole lot more mathematical rigour is needed on your part I think.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
I just want to add to the OP that for the good reasons pointed out by others in this thread, I would do the official route. Just wanted to chime in with my advice. All the best to you :smile:

crazyjoe101

I would go through insurance for something like this, especially if there is even the slightest risk of ongoing back injury when you are self-employed in a physical job. I had a collision with someone recently and while we did settle privately, dealing with him was not pleasant and only happened after repeated threats to contact insurers for my damages instead, I did inform police for stats but they didn't follow up to my knowledge. If I'm unlucky enough to have it happen again in future I'd go down official route because although missed missed only one day of work - it could easily have been 1 year and the private agreement would have made claiming for that very hard afterwards.

Just to chip in with my one experience of trying to settle a non-fault RTC privately. The private hire driver jerked me around for several weeks before disappearing. This left me with £200 for what should have been a £700-800 settlement for material loss. Since then I have ALWAYS gone by the book and followed the official route. You may not always be happy with the outcome but it is usually within reason and at least the guilty party has their card marked!

How many incidents does it take for someone to refer to them as "always":eek:?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
You can check online if a vehicle is insured.just google "check insurance".I checked a firms van I used last week. Theres another site for checking mot.

Ps site is called "ask MID "

D

Deleted member 1258

I must admit this thread has me wandering whether she was even insured at all. Will try and work out later on if she is, there doesn't seem to be a specific way to find out online, but the .gov site @Slick posted can be used to check if a vehicle is taxed and iirc you can't tax an uninsured vehicle anymore.

If she isn't insured, I will get some money off them to cover my costs and then report to police.

If she is insured, after reading all over your posts I'm leaning towards going through her insurance even if my back turns out fine, will just need to work out a way to get the wife's bike up and running again (can't believe one of the only times I've ever borrowed her bike, I've broken it so badly!) in the mean time. What sort of time frame do these things take (assuming there's just property claim and not injury) to resolve with the insurers?

Will also spend some time this evening going through the crash advice thread.

motor insurance database

https://www.askmid.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

vickster

Legendary Member
You can check online if a vehicle is insured.just google "check insurance".I checked a firms van I used last week. Theres another site for checking mot.

Ps site is called "ask MID "
I think that’ll tell you if there’s a policy on the car, not whether the actual person driving was insured?

Maenchi

StoneDog
A friend of mine was knocked off due to a motorist opening his car door without looking, bike was damaged, bent forks/wheel handlebars brakes ,ect; (and more) skin abrasions, the driver offered £50, details were exchanged, in short; a letter from a solicitor including the cost from a bike shop for repairs was presented adding that official proceedings would commence unless he paid up, that went no further, he paid, I forget how much he forked out but it was enough.

D

Deleted member 1258

I think I was more wondering what information was provided, whether there is insurance, who the insurance provider is, who's insured?

They don't give details of who the insurer is just whether the vehicle is insured or not. I've had car insurance problems recently, my insurance company renewed my insurance but didn't put the details on the database, I got a letter off the DVLA telling me the car wasn't insured and telling me to insure or SORN it.

Top Bottom