had my first driver induce off on Wednesday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Did you really mean to write this, or did you accidentally copy it from the Daily Mail website?
If you're objecting to the random assumption that the bad driver is uninsured and faked her test, then crack on, but if you're challenging the 10% uninsured drivers stat, then it could be right - we don't actually know because of course, there is no register of uninsured drivers. I think the MIB claims it's about 3%, but even the most conservative report I found (the Telegraph) thought that was low and put 4%, whereas the Daily Mail reported 30% :laugh: The true answer is probably somewhere in between and I'm pretty sure I've seen insurer-run surveys come out about 10% (but of course some are from insurers trying to highlight their uninsured-driver-collision policy features).

vickster

Legendary Member
I must admit this thread has me wandering whether she was even insured at all. Will try and work out later on if she is, there doesn't seem to be a specific way to find out online, but the .gov site @Slick posted can be used to check if a vehicle is taxed and iirc you can't tax an uninsured vehicle anymore.

If she isn't insured, I will get some money off them to cover my costs and then report to police.

If she is insured, after reading all over your posts I'm leaning towards going through her insurance even if my back turns out fine, will just need to work out a way to get the wife's bike up and running again (can't believe one of the only times I've ever borrowed her bike, I've broken it so badly!) in the mean time. What sort of time frame do these things take (assuming there's just property claim and not injury) to resolve with the insurers?

Will also spend some time this evening going through the crash advice thread.
If there's no injury and she admits liability to the insurers, I reckon it should be resolved in a few weeks in terms of paying up for your bike, a separate issue to the injury
Tell the insurers that you were injured, try to get them to pay up at least for 10 sessions of private physio and then see how it goes. You have 3 years to actually lodge an injury claim

Your back was injured, thus report to the police, get them to deal with getting the CCTV etc. They should provide insurer details if the driver won't (which I think might be an offence)

The shop in question has cctv cameras that should have caught the whole incident, is there any legal procedure I can use to get them to give me the relevant cctv footage seeing as it is covering public area? Or is it at their discretion seeing as its privately operated cctv? As much as I am on good terms with them, if I insist on going through insurance I'm not sure if they would voluntarily give me a copy.
This may be something the police can do, but first you need to report the collision to them.

But I'd assume the recording is on a loop, so unless they've specifically saved it, it's probably been deleted. Automatically or manually if they are protecting their relative.

OP
OP
NickNick

NickNick

If there's no injury and she admits liability to the insurers, I reckon it should be resolved in a few weeks in terms of paying up for your bike, a separate issue to the injury
Tell the insurers that you were injured, try to get them to pay up at least for 10 sessions of private physio and then see how it goes. You have 3 years to actually lodge an injury claim

Your back was injured, thus report to the police, get them to deal with getting the CCTV etc. They should provide insurer details if the driver won't (which I think might be an offence)

Thanks for all the advice everyone, will forget trying to cut corners and do this properly.

classic33

Leg End Member
I must admit this thread has me wandering whether she was even insured at all. Will try and work out later on if she is, there doesn't seem to be a specific way to find out online, but the .gov site @Slick posted can be used to check if a vehicle is taxed and iirc you can't tax an uninsured vehicle anymore.

If she isn't insured, I will get some money off them to cover my costs and then report to police.

If she is insured, after reading all over your posts I'm leaning towards going through her insurance even if my back turns out fine, will just need to work out a way to get the wife's bike up and running again (can't believe one of the only times I've ever borrowed her bike, I've broken it so badly!) in the mean time. What sort of time frame do these things take (assuming there's just property claim and not injury) to resolve with the insurers?

Will also spend some time this evening going through the crash advice thread.
There's a link in the first post of Accident Advice, near the bottom, that will give you that information. Approx £4 to find out.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Nothing to stop you settling privately, if that's what you want to do.

Some advantages, as you've observed.

I agree when it comes to it they may baulk at the cost.

But you never know, just as we don't know if she has a licence/insurance or not.

If you do settle, it needs to be all but instant and worth your while.

How about £750 cash within 24 hours, or it's cops and insurance?

Which ever route you take, it's going to cause some strain on your relationship with the guys in the corner shop.

classic33

Leg End Member
And to repeat the advice given by @vickster, get yourself checked out. You'll wake up sore in the morning.

Then get the bike checked. A written request to the shop owner, keeping everything above board & protecting yourself(then them) should get you access to any CCTV. But not always.

I’ve had three or four big ‘offs’ caused by dim witted driving. It’s a nuisance, but hopefully they learn, and don’t do it again. Most normal human beings would be affected by hitting a cyclist, hopefully enough to think more next time.

vickster

Legendary Member
And to repeat the advice given by @vickster, get yourself checked out. You'll wake up sore in the morning.

Then get the bike checked. A written request to the shop owner, keeping everything above board & protecting yourself(then them) should get you access to any CCTV. But not always.
He probably already did as it happened on Wednesday...he said he's feeling a little better but I'd still get checked if not just for record keeping

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 5026403, member: 9609"]@Tim Hall
I doubt there is more than 500 regular contributors, and how do you know that everyone kncked off comes back onto the site to report what happened, I'm sure some just pack in cycling then and there and we never here from them again.
There was this survey
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/cycling-injury-survey.222247/
28% of those members who responded had a cycling related injury in the past 12 months. thats more than a quarter!
indeed those who have had an off will have been more likely to respond but likewise many who have been knocked off probably pack in cycling and CC.

It's not a good situation out there, we are treated terribly on the roads, please don't play into the politicians and polices hands who would just love it if they felt nothing needs doing.[/QUOTE]
Maybe it's time to try and turn that situation around. Both in how we treat such incidents and how they are treated by the police. Saying that someone should "Man The F*** Up", doesn't help the person who has been injured. You can read down many of the threads started after an incident such as this, and the blow to the confidence can be the hardest part to deal with.

I'm not having a go at you or anyone, just picking up on the piece in bold. Having been hit myself.

Edited to reflect the correction made in the quoted post

Last edited:
Top Bottom