had my first driver induce off on Wednesday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Right, so if they won't contact the insurer or give up the details, you'd need to go to the police or start legal proceedings

Not in the sense that AskMID will give you the name of the insurance company for you to claim direct from them.

It won't give you the name of the insurance company's customer, but you don't need that because you are claiming from the insurance company,

http://www.askmid.com/askmidenquiry.aspx

vickster

Legendary Member
How do you find out who the insurance company is if you don't know? I think the solicitor told me after I was knocked off. When I've had car accidents, my insurance company has told me, other than in one case, the other parties insurer contacted me directly (it was such a non event for me, I'd even forgotten it happened after a day or two)

PK99

Legendary Member
How do you find out who the insurance company is if you don't know? I think the solicitor told me after I was knocked off. When I've had car accidents, my insurance company has told me, other than in one case, the other parties insurer contacted me directly (it was such a non event for me, I'd even forgotten it happened after a day or two)

Costs 4 squid but gives you insurance details without having to fib about being owner/ keeper. Designed for just these circumstances

Costs 4 squid but gives you insurance details without having to fib about being owner/ keeper. Designed for just these circumstances

Yep. I had no problems getting insurance company and policy number for the car that was driven into me a few weeks ago, in spite of the driver pretty patently giving me a false name. Doesn't matter. The VRN is the key, and the police now know who he is, even if I don't, and I have his insurance details in spite of his refusal to give them to me at the scene. :okay:

As for the OP, please do go the official route. I had absolutely no damage to my bike and nothing but a few bruises and scrapes (nothing worse really than a clipless moment, injury-wise) but I want points on the driver's licence, a charge of driving without due care/attention (or whatever) and hopefully a lesson learnt. The driver in your collision "deserves" all that, and more, I'd say!

bpsmith

Veteran
Sorry to read that you’ve been involved in such an accident @NickNick, but good news that you’re relatively unscathed.

I totally get the feeling of wanting to resolve the issue very quickly, but the above advice is spot on. Report it and go down the official route. It will take time, but it will make sure that you get back to where you were previously whilst acting as a record of the accident should this happen again in future.

I am in the early stages of resolving my recent incident and feel a lot better about proceedings now a short time has passed.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I'm sure more experts will come along but do not go privately. There could be damage and costs you are not aware of yet and I bet my wife's bike they'll get a massive shock and start being awkward when they realise that a new bike costs more than £50.
Sent my bill for repair to my bike after my rtc , £380 ......
If it was scratched or ripped it got quoted by the LBS for replacement, if it was a car then you would do the same.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Nope I didn't report it to the police, at the time with all the adrenaline running I thought I was fine and it was just the bike that was damaged, so I didn't call them. It wasn't until a few hours after the event that I realised my back wasn't right.

e2a: The other complication is that I am not registered with a local doctor atm, so the earliest I will be able to be seen is Monday, possibly later in the week. Will it be too late by that point to act as evidence if I do go through her insurance?
I found the plod a waste of time, as i was not blocking the road they did not attend and even after i reported and made an appointment to see them they cancelled then came around 2 weeks later.

Mate got hit by a women on a roundabout, clear as anything her fault. They talked and she said she would rather settle privately, was fine until he started saying how much it cost (his helmet was £80, her boyfriend found one online at £10 so said that was all they would pay etc etc). eventually he said sorry, going insurance..they hicked as well until he showed them the camera footage he had, within 30 minutes of sending them the footage they agreed to pay his claim in full, and was in his bank account 4 days later

crazyjoe101

Mate got hit by a women on a roundabout, clear as anything her fault. They talked and she said she would rather settle privately, was fine until he started saying how much it cost (his helmet was £80, her boyfriend found one online at £10 so said that was all they would pay etc etc). eventually he said sorry, going insurance..they hicked as well until he showed them the camera footage he had, within 30 minutes of sending them the footage they agreed to pay his claim in full, and was in his bank account 4 days later
This is almost exactly what happened with my case but I still don't recommend that route if you've had a decent collision just in case some medical issue develops after, it would badly complicate making a claim for that if work is missed etc.
I mean on the one hand I am against the sort of modern culture of getting lawyer-ed up or suing etc. etc. but sometimes it just makes sense to make a claim.

I haven't read the whole of this tread, so apologies if i'm repeating stuff.
You must IMHO, go through the correct channels with this.
If, as a driver you have been involved in an incident that involves injury you must report it to the law within 48 hours. When I was hit the PC told me that if I was ever hit off I should report it formally and get a number.
The driver also has to give you their insurance details. not to do so is an offence.

What you need to do is to first report it to the police.
Take photos of any bruising or injuries and see a doctor if you need one.
Then contact the drivers insurance company
Get the bike to a shop and get a quote for repair or replacement.

Insurance exists to put you back into the same position as you where in before the event. It's not a crime to use it.
It sounds like this person needs to have there licence removed before she does it again as well.

Johnno260

Veteran
Sorry to hear about your accident.

If you want/need the CCTV footage you need to ask sooner rather than later, if it's looped sooner or later it will record over that days events, depends on the system they have in place.

I would say go the official route, I'm sure she panicked/shocked but her standard of driving sounds totally unacceptable, if it happens again she needs to be held to account, also if you settle privately but have a hidden injury stemming from this your have no comeback.

I hope you get this resolved soon and you and the bike make a full recovery.

Top Bottom