Had my first SMIDSY and got my first lycra, all in one week!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
130 psi is great for pushing the patch onto the tube and making sure that it sets properly. And at those sort of pressures, the chances of the patch shearing off is minimal too. Hence it is probably better to pump the tyres right up after a puncture repair rather than having it at a lower pressure.

Interesting; I've never had that. Maybe they've improved in recent years. I do apply quite a lot of pressure with my thumb and hold it for at least 30s.
Anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?

I have no issues with glueless patches - I will agree that they have improved considerably over the years. The only thing I do, is to inflate the inner tube to the size/width of my tyre before I apply the patch - and then hold in it place for 30-60seconds depending on what patches I have. My theory being that that way the patch is not stretched too much just after applying it - they don't have as much stretch in them as inner tubes, so preventing them from being over stretched seems to be a good move - but that might just be a woman's logic - not sure :whistle:
Anyhow both front and rear inner tubes currently have glueless patches on them (6 between them I think) following a 700 miles cycle tour about 2 weeks ago (7 punctures between the 2 bikes in 13 days of cycling per bike - not sure how. (Edit to add punctation) I got 6 of them, but at least I didn't break the valve off or slash my rear tyre in the middle of nowhere without a spare!).

martint235

Dog on a bike
Anyhow both front and rear inner tubes currently have glueless patches on them (6 between them I think) following a 700 miles cycle tour about 2 weeks ago (7 punctures between the 2 bikes in 13 days of cycling - not sure how I got 6 of them, but at least I didn't break the valve off or slash my rear tyre in the middle of nowhere without a spare!).

Please let me transfer some of my tyre paranoia to you :rolleyes:. If my inner tubes had 6 patches on them I'd forever be going to my bike to check the tyres were still inflated!!

Even after putting new tubes in, I usually check the bike 2 or 3 times in case I missed whatever it was in the tyre that caused the puncture! :blush:

Please let me transfer some of my tyre paranoia to you :rolleyes:. If my inner tubes had 6 patches on them I'd forever be going to my bike to check the tyres were still inflated!!

Even after putting new tubes in, I usually check the bike 2 or 3 times in case I missed whatever it was in the tyre that caused the puncture! :blush:

Nope thanks :biggrin: - have enough sanity issues of my own without paranoia as well.

I always extract the offending items from my tyres - they never go back on until I am 100% sure that the cause is gone and I have spent the last week communting to work daily (though today I really need to have my sanity tested but that is the weather not the tyres) without spare inner tube. I can always walk home - it is only 5 miles.

Tynan

Veteran
I used Parks under perfect condition at home with washed and dried tyres, on every single effort they started to leak with anything from a week to a month

as for repairs, always carry at least one tube and fix when you get home, so much more pleasant and time efficent

a pocket on lycra shorts? blimey

Arch

Married to Night Train
To be honest I've never bothered fitting patches. I run my tyres at between 130 and 140psi so I've always been paranoid about a patch holding and have just put new inner tubes in when I get a visit from the fairy.

We get fairly frequent punctures on our work trikes - we deal with broken glass a lot, and there's always some lying around the compound, no matter how carefully and often you sweep up. It's that, or the prunings off the nature reserve.

Some of our tubes are more patch than tube!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'm sorry, I just don't feel comfortable on a patched tube :ohmy:. knowing my luck I'd end up having to walk home from somewhere like Biggin Hill on a Sat morning!!! :unsure:

I must admit I was a complete klutz when I first learnt to patch tubes, it took me ages to learn to do them well. Now I pride myself on my patching ability. Like others have said though, I carry a spare and tend to patch at home. Actually, I carry two spares as my wheels aren't the same sizes.

DavieB

MIA
I must admit I was a complete klutz when I first learnt to patch tubes, it took me ages to learn to do them well. Now I pride myself on my patching ability. Like others have said though, I carry a spare and tend to patch at home. Actually, I carry two spares as my wheels aren't the same sizes.

I learned how to do it when I was about 11, the only problem I had then was using too much glue.... Hadnt done one till I had a shot on my 6 year old daughters BMX and managed to give it a pinch puncture when I done a wee jump (I know I know) I even managed to fix the snake bite after about 12 years not fixing a puncture on a bike (admittedly I may have done more than a couple on cars and trucks)

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The two keys to successful repair (with conventional): one, make sure you clean the area really well - they say to abrade it with sandpaper, which is fine, but make sure you give it a good rub with clean cloth or a bit of bog paper or something before applying the solution; two, use a thin layer of solution and *let it dry* before applying the patch - 3-5 mins. Put the patch on wet solution and it won't hold.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Don't just abrade it - make sure the surface of the tube is the darker black after it's been well sanded, and smooth. Sand down any ridges that the patch will go over too. I tend to blow the tube clean of rubber dust, and I don't touch it with my fingers in case I get any grease/skin oil where the patch will go.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Don't just abrade it - make sure the surface of the tube is the darker black after it's been well sanded, and smooth. Sand down any ridges that the patch will go over too. I tend to blow the tube clean of rubber dust, and I don't touch it with my fingers in case I get any grease/skin oil where the patch will go.

My paranoia of riding on patched tubes aside, it is starting to sound much easier to put a new tube in..... :rolleyes:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Which is what most of us do. Then, at home over a nice hot cuppa, patch the replaced tubes. Easy, and gives you skill and environment credit points.

Top Bottom