Had my first SMIDSY and got my first lycra, all in one week!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taxing

How quickly they grow up. A driver didn't see me as she turned out of a street, apologised, no harm done because I'd already slowed down, had my dozy bint radar on. And there were two cyclists coming out of the junction before her and she was concentrating on them, so at least she was thinking about cyclists. (Just not me.)

I also bought some proper cycling shorts because I'm sick of my skirt flying up in the wind and everyone seeing my knickers. I'm intrigued by the pocket on the bum. Don't think I'll be using it, I would look a bit funny in the shop lifting my skirt up to fish change out of my bum pocket. But it's nice to know it's there.

(Note: I have no plans to buy any more lycra, or to wear my shorts without a skirt on top. I'll leave that to you lycra warriors.)

Now all I need to do is learn how to fix a p*nct*re, and I'll be well on my way to being a Real Cyclist(TM)!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
You say you won't be buying anymore, but just wait and see ;)

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
I also bought some proper cycling shorts because I'm sick of my skirt flying up in the wind and everyone seeing my knickers. I'm intrigued by the pocket on the bum. Don't think I'll be using it, I would look a bit funny in the shop lifting my skirt up to fish change out of my bum pocket. But it's nice to know it's there.

Now all I need to do is learn how to fix a p*nct*re, and I'll be well on my way to being a Real Cyclist™!

Thats a shame you got the lycra :smile: only joking but I had a nice image in my head.

As for the p*nctu*e fixing there are many guides online and it isnt really that hard, just make sure you got the correct tools, tyre levers, decent patches and glue, dont bother with glueless kits as they are a waste of time. Get yourself a decent pump you can mount on the frame, I use a Topeak Mini G Master Blast and its amazing for its small size and looks good too.

P*nctu*e guides

Maizie

Veteran
I printed out a step-by-step guide to p-repair and put it in my pannier (with my spare tubes and repair kit). That way, when I finally got that first P, I was able to sit there and follow the instructions to fix it, and wasn't stuck in the middle of nowhere trying to remember the theory of how to use various things :smile:

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
How quickly they grow up. A driver didn't see me as she turned out of a street, apologised, no harm done because I'd already slowed down, had my dozy bint radar on. And there were two cyclists coming out of the junction before her and she was concentrating on them, so at least she was thinking about cyclists. (Just not me.)

(Note: I have no plans to buy any more lycra, or to wear my shorts without a skirt on top. I'll leave that to you lycra warriors.)

Now all I need to do is learn how to fix a p*nct*re, and I'll be well on my way to being a Real Cyclist™!

worthless.gif

Moodyman

Legendary Member
A driver didn't see me as she turned out of a street

Maybe she did, but she was distracted by your figure hugging shorts.

'If only I had those legs......'

By the way, is that your bike in your Avatar - me liking the yello flower on the shopping basket.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Last time I used glueless patches, they didn't stick well, as soon as I inflated the tyre it would go down again as the patch came away.

Interesting; I've never had that. Maybe they've improved in recent years. I do apply quite a lot of pressure with my thumb and hold it for at least 30s.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?

Arch

Married to Night Train
With respect to learning how to fix a punct*re.... It might be worth having a try at home, as a dry run. Pour yourself a calming beverage (tea, gin, etc) take a wheel (or the whole bike) indoors and take the tyre off, the tube out, and then replace them. You could even stick a patch on, I suppose.

I find that the hardest bits for me are wrestling the wheel out (esp a back wheel) and getting the tyre off and on. This you can practise at home in the warm and dry, with soap and water on hand.

Worth carrying a spare tube to just bung in if needed, and give yourself time to find and fix the hole later. But you need to check the tyre in case whatever caused it is still in there (and finding the hole in the tube will help you know where to look on the tyre).

I'm intrigued by the pocket in your shorts, I've never seen a pair of lycra shorts with a pocket....

Femto

I just carry two spare tubes with me and I repair the busted one when I get home.
It's ever so slightly more weight to carry but then again, I'm not carrying a PRK around.
I find that it's just so much quicker and easier to get back on the road by simply swapping the tube - especially if it's chucking it down!

**Edit** Yes, Arch makes an exceedingly good point. Always check for the offending sharp thing that caused the puncture in the first place. If it's still lodged in your tyre, as soon as you fit the (new or repaired) tube into the tyre and start to inflate it: Sssssssssssss........
:ohmy:

martint235

Dog on a bike
To be honest I've never bothered fitting patches. I run my tyres at between 130 and 140psi so I've always been paranoid about a patch holding and have just put new inner tubes in when I get a visit from the fairy.

The only real problem I have is getting any kind of pressure out of my mini pump, I get it to about 80 psi and then ride very slowly home to my track pump :rolleyes:

Top Bottom