Had the bike for 2-3weeks and still

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
You need to get the first ride out of the way - just do it - up the street, round at the top, circle round and back home. A "quickie" at a comfortable pace - just to get a feel for the bike.

Don't worry about what anyone else thinks or even what you feel you might look like on the bike or about your confidence or anything else - the point is you're on the bike and that's the most important thing.

See how you feel when you get back home and maybe do it again in a few days time and see if it feels any better? After that just extend it to suit.

Maybe even chose a time of the day - early morning, late night - when it's quiet; fewer people and/or traffic might just help you to get started. :thumbsup:

And then come back here and tell us how awful / brilliant it was? :bicycle:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

chqshaitan

Guru
best thing i find for motivation it to use an app that tracks your progress and stats for the ride. Nothing better than getting home and finding out that i have beaten one of the my best speeds/scores. Makes me push myself just that bit harder next time to see if i can beat another personal record.

OP
OP
S

Stu9

You need to get the first ride out of the way - just do it - up the street, round at the top, circle round and back home. A "quickie" at a comfortable pace - just to get a feel for the bike.

Don't worry about what anyone else thinks or even what you feel you might look like on the bike or about your confidence or anything else - the point is you're on the bike and that's the most important thing.

See how you feel when you get back home and maybe do it again in a few days time and see if it feels any better? After that just extend it to suit.

Maybe even chose a time of the day - early morning, late night - when it's quiet; fewer people and/or traffic might just help you to get started. :thumbsup:

And then come back here and tell us how awful / brilliant it was? :bicycle:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Shaun I did just that the other night and felt bloody hellish, ended at the doc the next day as really got a fright

I know Colin answered Scotty saying doing just 10 miles...if could do 2 I'll be doing well, it's aboout half a mile to a miles uphill just to out of where I live...I'll probably put it in the car and go somewhere flatter and take it from that

Shaun

Founder
Slow and steady Stu - just take it easy and don't be too hard on yourself - it'll get easier as you get used to doing it; and if it helps to put the bike in the car and drive somewhere flatter to start with, just go ahead and do it - whatever it takes to make it enjoyable for you and get you started.

If you're not up to doing hills just don't do them - save them for later when you're feeling better / fitter and fancy a challenge; or come and live in Hull for a while - it's flat as a pancake here and you won't have to worry about any hills at all ... :laugh:

The main thing is you're making a start, giving it a go, and that's to be applauded and encouraged. Keep coming back here and giving updates and I'm sure everyone will be full of good advice to keep you heading in the right direction.

It's going to take a while, so relax and enjoy it and it'll come naturally. :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 20519

If I know I have to ride but don't want to, I just put my kit on and then stand in my garden with my bike - eventually I either go back inside or go ride (normally I go ride).

Mapster1989

Best thing to do is stop reading this forum and thinking that you've got to do 4.5 million miles a week to be called a cyclist. Like another user said, go around the block then the next day do two blocks... and so on. Set yourself a target, but a realistic one. Confidence will grow.

That's what I did when I first started and I can vouch that it works.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
by the time you get on it it will be worthless so give it away now
A bike is for life, not just for Christmas :biggrin:

There's so much in life to get stressed about, and so much to look back and regret.
On the other hand there's the simple things that just make it worth while.
Some morning you'll just look out of the window and say "Yes, today's the day!".

stevey

Guru
Personally i cannot wait to get out on the bike after work i feel it helps me relax and unwind from having to deal with numdskulls @work, its just a case of get on it and go like others say even if its a small ride around the block your out and on the thing hell i have even got my mrs going with me (no mean feat in itself) :bicycle:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Cycling is enjoying a renaissance due to the TdF and the Olympics but many people who have been inspired to buy a bike, soon give up as they find it too hard. It's never as easy as it looks on the telly, but start with small targets and build from there.

Top Bottom