Halfords, a let down in the motoring world as well

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
TBF, ive generally had good service on the cycling front from Halfords, but they have a strange policy regarding tyre fitting on cars...they have Landsail tyres, a really well priced budget tyre, good wet and economy ratings, better than many more expensive tyres....but here's the kicker, they won't replace TPMS valves when they change tyres :wacko:, even if you supply the valves, which i always keep nowadays.
Fer chrissakes, all it is is an extra 5 minutes work. Lets face it, in a few years i suspect more than 50% of cars will have TPMS anyway , all they're doing is pushing work to their competitors.

Ah well, their loss.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Apex tyres, only tyre garage worth visiting, you can send your granny..

Drago

Legendary Member
TPMS sensors aren't cheap and are relatively fragile. Gets who picks up the tab when the minimum wage spanner monkeys damage one while changing a valve? Yep, they do. The lost business is probably a lot less expensive than laying to hire decent staff.

Smudge

Veteran
The last few cars i've owned have always been MOT'd by Halfords and they always pass them.
But if i tell anyone i'm taking my car to Halfords for an MOT, i always get a sharp intake of breath and i'm told they're bound to fail it.

alicat

Legendary Member
What's a TPMS valve when it's at home?!

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Its looking like Black Circles then, right price tyres, contacted their suggested fitters, they will happily fit new valves supplied by me, says it all rea,ly, Halfords Autocentres wont go the extra mile, so I will...straight past their door.

Smudge

Veteran
TPMS seems to work fine on my Focus, only once or twice a year it alerts me to low tyre pressure. I keep a small cheap 12v compressor in the boot, put the required air in the tyres and thats it done for many months.
More annoying was the service due warning icon & chime .... but i found a youtube vid showing how to get rid of it.

Reactions: gbb
OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
In general it works well on my Vauxhall but apparently the valves are alloy rather than brass, so prone to corrosion, sticking, not seating and ultimately leaking. Mine is losing 10psi a day now, its suddenly got worse, thankfully its co-Incided with the tyre needing replacement anyway.
If you have TPMS, it's worth doing some homework and getting a couple of spare valves. Mine came from TPMS Centre for around £9 each, chuck em in the glove box and they're there when you need them.

Smudge

Veteran
In general it works well on my Vauxhall but apparently the valves are alloy rather than brass, so prone to corrosion, sticking, not seating and ultimately leaking. Mine is losing 10psi a day now, its suddenly got worse, thankfully its co-Incided with the tyre needing replacement anyway.
If you have TPMS, it's worth doing some homework and getting a couple of spare valves. Mine came from TPMS Centre for around £9 each, chuck em in the glove box and they're there when you need them.

If mine were to pack up, i'd just have normal valves put in.... Assuming you can replace them with what have been used for decades ?
I'm always happy to replace complicated stuff with old school stuff if it plays up.

Top Bottom