Halfords survey 59% call for cycle number plates.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Does it say how many people took part in this survey?

1. How was this survey conducted? I've been a Halfords online customer in the past and have seen no invites.

Answers to both questions are helpfully given in the article mentioned by the OP. For the benefit of those too busy to click the link and read it for themselves:

The online survey of 2,042 adults was carried out in August by YouGov and has led to the production of “Sharing the Road”, a 20-page infographic-heavy report produced for Halfords by its external PR company.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
What a load of old cobblers!

I just wonder how number plates big enough to be read by other road users could be displayed on the average pedal bike (maybe we can all wear sandwich boards showing them to the front and rear ^_^). I also wonder how it would be enforced, it's not as though the roads are crawling with plod these days, or that plod would have time to proactively look for non-compliant cyclists.

If this ever comes to pass, I think I may embark on a personal campaign of civil disobedience and ignore it. I may also start a campaign to stop pedestrians using headphones, or looking at their mobile phones whilst not stationary, one walked out on me as I drove home earlier and I had to reduce my speed from about 25 mph to about 15 mph, to avoid hitting him. Perhaps that campaign could be extended to make pedestrians wear number plates so that those using headphones or looking at their phones instead of what other road users are doing could be identified and prosecuted, and then I'll open a sandwich board factory and make my fortune.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Halford's also commissioned a report and survey -conclusions doc entitled 'Share the Road' but that Bikebix link takes you to Dropbox. Anyone got an open-able link to that without Dropbox?

You should be able to Print-to-PDF from Dropbox without needing a login account. I've just done that. I would have uploaded it here, but unfortunately the resulting PDF is too big for CC.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Just under a third (31 per cent) call on cyclists not to exceed speed limits, and 26 per cent back spot-checks on cyclists’ understanding of the Highway Code

On the upside of forced number plate use however, that stupidly useless big chunk of rectangular plastic will no doubt generate enough drag to keep me and my 50lb tourer from exceeding 40mph on the main A road to Horwich.
As to understanding the highway code, well, the number of times I've failed to stop at a red light* on my two wheeled car because I forgot what it's for are unfathomable. A bit like many motorists.
Maybe they'll revoke my license. After they've introduced them.
My 11 yr old daughter will be upset at not being able to use her bike. Didn't pay road tax this week either. :sad:

*I did actually jump a red light once. I was about 12. I had no brakes either. It was my mates bmx. So wasn't even insured. The police saw me do it and I got told off.

Last edited:
I just wonder how number plates big enough to be read by other road users could be displayed on the average pedal bike (maybe we can all wear sandwich boards showing them to the front and rear ^_^)
An Australian idiot has come up with an answer for that.

SmartHat%20-%20rear%20view.jpg

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I was going to post this in a separate thread but now I think about it, it is very relevant to this thread.

Just got back from the shops and as I drove along the duel carriageway town by-pass I saw a yoof (probably about 13/14 yrs old) approaching quickly from the other direction on a mountain bike. I know it was a pedal bike because he was slowly pedalling but was doing about 30mph up a slight incline! I then heard the noise of a small two stroke engine working hard and spotted the shiny silencer tucked under the down tube. I didn't have time to look closely as we passed each other because I was also watching where I was going but it was clearly some sort of DIY/kit installation and completely illegal for road use.
How would more laws for cyclists, tougher penalties and bicycle number plates make a blind bit of difference if we can't even appear to enforce the laws we have? This kid wasn't just tearing around on fields or the back streets on the estate, he was going down the main road right through the centre of town!

There are no police to deal with this kind of reckless and antisocial behaviour now so until we get the resources needed to enforce the laws we already have it is pointless introducing more.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
[QUOTE 5003534, member: 259"]Not that I'm advocating the use of plates for bikes, but if you ride a speed pedelec in belgium, you need one of these (rear only). It's 10cm/12cm, like you need for a moped. They're pretty easy to read. View attachment 379300 [/QUOTE]
Oh well, perhaps my fortune won't be in sandwich board production after all ^_^

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I then heard the noise of a small two stroke engine working hard and spotted the shiny silencer tucked under the down tube. I didn't have time to look closely as we passed each other because I was also watching where I was going but it was clearly some sort of DIY/kit installation and completely illegal for road use.
How would more laws for cyclists, tougher penalties and bicycle number plates make a blind bit of difference if we can't even appear to enforce the laws we have? This kid wasn't just tearing around on fields or the back streets on the estate, he was going down the main road right through the centre of town!
That's still fairly subtle and not immediately obvious to CCTV, like all the e-bikes with their pedal-assist linkage deliberately broken (making them e-motorbikes as far as I can tell). It's the mini-motos now being ridden along A roads which surprise me - that seems pretty blatant, but I guess the riders are the most likely victims.

dodgy

Halfords cycling twitter account is getting a right shoeing :laugh: (@halfordscycling)

Top Bottom