Halfords survey 59% call for cycle number plates.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
I think all pedestrians should have a number tattooed on their foreheads.

boydj

Legendary Member
Just got back from the shops and as I drove along the duel carriageway town by-pass I saw a yoof (probably about 13/14 yrs old) approaching quickly from the other direction on a mountain bike. I know it was a pedal bike because he was slowly pedalling but was doing about 30mph up a slight incline! I then heard the noise of a small two stroke engine working hard and spotted the shiny silencer tucked under the down tube. I didn't have time to look closely as we passed each other because I was also watching where I was going but it was clearly some sort of DIY/kit installation and completely illegal for road use.
How would more laws for cyclists, tougher penalties and bicycle number plates make a blind bit of difference if we can't even appear to enforce the laws we have? This kid wasn't just tearing around on fields or the back streets on the estate, he was going down the main road right through the centre of town!

There are no police to deal with this kind of reckless and antisocial behaviour now so until we get the resources needed to enforce the laws we already have it is pointless introducing more.

Saw something similar here locally - it will probably take a bad accident for the police to catch on to what's going on, because I'm pretty sure it's going to be a growing problem.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I wonder whether this will make any of the organisations break with halfodds (deliberate misname to stop the automatic link... I know it gives CC money but even Evans are a less nasty chain).
What's the betting that Cycling UK won't have the integrity to bite one of the hands that feeds them...?

10 to 1 on? And Brutish Cycling even worse?

Boringly, BC, CUK and ...errr... the AA have all put out statements saying, in the polite way of corporate press releases, that Halfords are being a bunch of blithering idiots and should stick to selling stuff.

http://road.cc/content/news/231009-...ulsory-number-plates-and-testing-cyclists-are

classic33

Leg End Member
@Drago's other username!
A report commissioned by the people who'd sell the bloody things. That's it, I'll never go to @Halfords_UK again.

Malcolm (@bracken_uk) October 19, 2017

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Boringly, BC, CUK and ...errr... the AA have all put out statements saying, in the polite way of corporate press releases, that Halfords are being a bunch of blithering idiots and should stick to selling stuff.
Yep and talk is cheap so this will do precisely nothing to stop future repeats if it gets more road-ragers to buy more there than it discourages cyclists.

Top Bottom