Halfords survey 59% call for cycle number plates.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Yep and talk is cheap so this will do precisely nothing to stop future repeats if it gets more road-ragers to buy more there than it discourages cyclists.
upload_2017-10-20_16-2-5.png

Halfords relies very heavily on cycling for its income. They'll release their Q4 2017 figures sometime in late January next year - put the date in your diary and update on us on how successful their encouragement of "road-ragers" (or, as I prefer to call them, people who own cars) has been.

Alternatively, have a look at their current press releases. If the survey referred to in this thread was ever officially issued, it's now been withdrawn. The most recent cycling press release is one none of us would complain about:

"UK retailer is worried EU proposal for compulsory insurance could impact
the growth of healthier, active travel

The UK’s largest cycling retailer has raised concerns about the potential introduction of compulsory third party insurance for electric bikes – a policy currently under consideration by the European Union. Halfords has opposed the proposal on the grounds that it might put off thousands of would-be cyclists across the nation by burdening people with unnecessary complexity and excessive costs."

http://www.halfordscompany.com/medi...-policy-could-cost-cyclists-£100plus-per-year

classic33

Leg End Member
If I remember right the current restrictions would result in bikes that no longer met those limits.

Power output was the thing that was going to be changed. That change would mean imported electric bikes having to be re-specced to comply with UK law.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You'd not be bothered about some riding a motorbike in, whilst you were crossing the entrance?
There should be a zebra crossing across the entrance, of course. And the ride in could be no motor vehicles.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I was going to post this in a separate thread but now I think about it, it is very relevant to this thread.

Just got back from the shops and as I drove along the duel carriageway town by-pass I saw a yoof (probably about 13/14 yrs old) approaching quickly from the other direction on a mountain bike. I know it was a pedal bike because he was slowly pedalling but was doing about 30mph up a slight incline! I then heard the noise of a small two stroke engine working hard and spotted the shiny silencer tucked under the down tube. I didn't have time to look closely as we passed each other because I was also watching where I was going but it was clearly some sort of DIY/kit installation and completely illegal for road use.
How would more laws for cyclists, tougher penalties and bicycle number plates make a blind bit of difference if we can't even appear to enforce the laws we have? This kid wasn't just tearing around on fields or the back streets on the estate, he was going down the main road right through the centre of town!

There are no police to deal with this kind of reckless and antisocial behaviour now so until we get the resources needed to enforce the laws we already have it is pointless introducing more.
Well, well, well! Call the cops......

Amazing what crops up given time. Just found this image on Google while looking at a local historic landmark.
upload_2018-4-25_9-28-29.png

Looks familiar, including shiny silencer....
noise of a small two stroke engine working hard and spotted the shiny silencer tucked under the down tube.

The numpty even provides a name, Louis Robinson. :laugh:

upload_2018-4-25_9-30-56.png

Should I ring 101?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
No, not according to Chief Customer Officer at Halfords Helen Bellairs who says ..."What our new research makes very clear is that the car is still the nation’s favourite means of getting around”
Gosh. What would we do without research?

Drago

Legendary Member
She meant to say, "the car is still the favourite way for lazy, environmentally uneducated people to make mainly unnecessary journeys, and we're going to follow the money."

Top Bottom