Halfords takeover Boardman bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Boardman, Hoy, Pendleton, English peeps who've turned (or attached) their names to bikes.

And before that Eddy Merckx, Freddie Grubb, Guerciotti, Jan Janssen.

Cavendish has is own products via Spesh, but what of Sir Bradley - will he ever go down this road ?

Any other notable names I have missed?
Lemond?

By the way, what's changed?
Before: Halfords have exclusive deal for Boardman brand, except for the Elite line. CB is chairman and design director. (and gets royalties)
After: Halfords have exclusive deal for Boardman brand, except for the Elite line. CB is chairman and design director. And a bit richer. (but doesn't get royalties)

Edited in line with GrumpyGregry's post above.

Last edited:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
What? You mean he didn't weld the frames or build the bikes up himself? Well I never.

Not sure anyone did think this? A company called Boardman Bikes Ltd selling bikes with C Boardman on it quite surprised me he was only a minor shareholder in the business and not even a director.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Not sure anyone did think this? A company called Boardman Bikes Ltd selling bikes with C Boardman on it quite surprised me he was only a minor shareholder in the business and not even a director.
In charge of R&D with input into the design. That was pretty clear from the foundation of the company I think. iirc he's never been a director.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Wandering off topic a bit, was anyone else slightly surprised that after years of zooming around velodromes in lycra riding on whispy little fixies, the first bikes that Victoria Pendleton designed were equipped with shopping baskets, and more suited to floaty summer dresses than lycra. How did that happen, I wonder?

markharry66

Über Member
Think I have just lost complete interest in Boardman bikes as a brand. Stuff Halfords one of the worst shops that happen to sell bikes or have a so called bike department

MisterStan

Label Required
Boardman, Hoy, Pendleton, English peeps who've turned (or attached) their names to bikes.

And before that Eddy Merckx, Freddie Grubb, Guerciotti, Jan Janssen.

Cavendish has is own products via Spesh, but what of Sir Bradley - will he ever go down this road ?

Any other notable names I have missed?

Found a great list of Bike Brands on Wiki btw .... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bicycle_brands_and_manufacturing_companies
Wiggo has already released a clothing line with Fred Perry - not bikes i know, but...

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
oh dear never mind will be a long time before they become a classic or vintage bike

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Think I have just lost complete interest in Boardman bikes as a brand. Stuff Halfords one of the worst shops that happen to sell bikes or have a so called bike department

Oh dear.....we're back here again. I will say it one more time:

Halfords business model is not to replicate the LBS "have a natter and get some advice" way of operating. They sell to people who know nothing about bikes and want a simple, non-intimidating interaction like when they go to Tesco for their weekly shop.
They dominate the sales of bikes in Britain. They have their business model right, the LBS that are closing down don't

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Oh dear.....we're back here again. I will say it one more time:

Halfords business model is not to replicate the LBS "have a natter and get some advice" way of operating. They sell to people who know nothing about bikes and want a simple, non-intimidating interaction like when they go to Tesco for their weekly shop.
They dominate the sales of bikes in Britain. They have their business model right, the LBS that are closing down don't
I'd tweak it to say they also sell to people who know a heck of a lot about bikes and who don't need their advice/workshop et cetera.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Every cyclist has to make a mistake when they buy their 1st bike, Halfords are there to fill that niche.

Top Bottom