Halfords to drop Boardman bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Or perhaps "Boardman to seek alternative retailer"? Halfords are apparently in talks with Specialized as a replacement upmarket bike brand.

You read it here first.... just don't ask me where I heard it!

BSRU

A Human Being
Or perhaps "Boardman to seek alternative retailer"? Halfords are apparently in talks with Specialized as a replacement upmarket bike brand.

You read it here first.... just don't ask me where I heard it!
Where did you hear it?:tongue:

StuartG

slower but further
Can you give us a steer as to the reasons?
Margin, supply, range, brand appeal, advertising ... which may effect the enthusiasm of other retailers to add Boardman to their portfolios

Sprocker

Regular
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Boardman were the ones to instigate this.

I have four Halfrauds outlets within 15 miles of me, and not one of them were willing to build a Boardman Hybrid for me to sit on test ride during my recent quest for a new bike.
All they did was push the Carerra, which I believe is their own brand?

I did let Boardmans customer service know..........

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If true my 2p

More likely Boardman brand now the success story their backers thought they would be when the bike trade told 'em to go hang when they tried to launch, which resulted in Halfords reaching out and taking them on, so now they are an attractive proposition to the mainstream trade. More power to CB's corporate elbows if he gets his bikes into major cycle retailers and lbs'.

More likely Spesh have twigged, as a result of Boardman experience, and Boardman would have been taking sales from Spesh, that Halfords can do a 'good enough job' of selling a premier brand, and knowing that once you're a spesh fanboy or girl you're always a spesh fangirl or boy, they want in to the channel Halfords represent.

Cycling is, post Olympics, the new black. Even though it was already the new black for what ever old black it replaced, golf maybe?

Herr-B

I think Halfords are moving on from Boardman, onto the Froome, or the Cavendish, or the Wiggins. :stop:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I seem to remember reading a year or so ago that Halfords only had the UK contract and that Boardmans were available overseas from Wiggle . I'm not surprised at Boardman but I'm very surprised at Specialized. Assuming it's not sole UK rights, Halfords are going to really up their game to compete on the open market.

U

User6179

Maybe halfords got fed up with clicking bbs ,wonder if the spesh bbs will start clicking :eek:

Top Bottom