Halfords Web Site Mess Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
if you haven't worked out yet that 'get one up on the man' means 'stealing', then you're a muppet.

if you haven't worked out yet that 'get one up on the man' means 'stealing', then you're a muppet.

Nope, stealing gets you stuff for free, and is illegal...what I did meets none of those criteria. Its OK, I get it, its a conscience thing...I'm not going to argue with that.

Oh, did you want an inner tube? ;-p

Amusing.

An online retailer offered goods at a price, people accepted the price. Saying a crime has been committed is silly, you could argue it's immoral, it's not criminal.

Personally, I think it's disgusting and reprehensible. Nobody told me.

Cubist

Still wavin'
An online retailer offered goods at a price, people accepted the price. Saying a crime has been committed is silly, you could argue it's immoral, it's not criminal.

Personally, I think it's disgusting and reprehensible. Nobody told me.
They didn't offer them at reduced price. They bolloxed a discount code that meant the prices were wiped as long as you made single orders for items under a fiver. People discovered this and exploited the error, knowing that they would avoid having to pay for items at all. The term "dishonest" is key to most offences under the Theft Act, and although it isn't defined, the question to a court or a jury is whether or not a reasonable person would describe the actions as honest. So, a person who, knowing that an error will mean he will be sent stuff the company does not want to give to him for free exploits that error by ordering £1400 worth of stuff is not, in my argument, acting honestly.

See also Actus Rheus and Mens Rhea

An online retailer offered goods at a price, people accepted the price. ....

It's a long long time since I did contract law but I think you have the offer & acceptance the wrong way round (You make the offer to purchase, the shop accepts). (see here http://www.e-lawresources.co.uk/Offer-and-acceptance.php) though I've no idea how a web site might vary from goods on display in a shop.

Halfords have chosen to accept the offers made to purchase at the lower price.

They didn't offer them at reduced price. They bolloxed a discount code that meant the prices were wiped as long as you made single orders for items under a fiver. People discovered this and exploited the error, knowing that they would avoid having to pay for items at all. The term "dishonest" is key to most offences under the Theft Act, and although it isn't defined, the question to a court or a jury is whether or not a reasonable person would describe the actions as honest. So, a person who, knowing that an error will mean he will be sent stuff the company does not want to give to him for free exploits that error by ordering £1400 worth of stuff is not, in my argument, acting honestly.

See also Actus Rheus and Mens Rhea

I think that the Sales of Goods Act might trump the Theft Act in the case.

Would you like an inner tube to calm you down? Or some nice lube? Or some Chamois Cream?

Top Bottom