Hand-built vs machine-built wheels

Which do you ride?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Thank you sir :okay: Currently about 15.5 stone, so heavier than an 'average' rider, but I have been as big as 19 stone :sad:
Still not heavy......im 18st 7lbs

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
This kind of thing makes me laugh. I have built maybe 20+ wheelsets and never owned such a thing. Not necessary for a hobby wheel builder IMO.
I think we should applaud our compadre for the intention to home build wheels with a jig or without. I'm sure you'll be able to provide some advice once you've stopped laughing.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I don't like wheels I didn't build myself, as it's uneconomic for anyone to spend enough time on them if they're doing it for money. I've pulled wheels apart on brand new bikes and rebuilt them. My Brompton wheels were shockingly bad and a Hewitt rear wheel went out of true very fast. My DT wheels (apparently handbuilt) are ok after a few hundred miles but could be better.

I have wheels I built 10 years ago (ceramic rims or hub braked, so haven't worn out yet) that have been utterly abused but are still true.

AlanW

Guru
I have wheels I built 10 years ago (ceramic rims or hub braked, so haven't worn out yet) that have been utterly abused but are still true.

Off topic slightly, but I had some ceramic rims back in the day and they were possibly the worst thing I've ever bought for a bike, in the wet they were flipping lethal! I tried all manner of different types of brake blocks and never managed to make them good enough to consider keeping. In the dry they were awesome, but then so are normal aluminium rims.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
I also tend to use what's fitted and build my own when required, usually dynamo hub wheels both normal and single sided and I've never used a dedicated truing stand or tensioning tool.

Top Bottom