Hand-built vs machine-built wheels

Which do you ride?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
How many people ride handbuilts now? A small minority I should think.

I expect @Smokin Joe is correct but thought it would be interesting to see what the breakdown is - not that a forum poll is in any way an accurate scientific measure...

Personally, I have a mix of both in my stable, but would be unlikely to buy machine-built wheels again (except ones that came with a new bike).

ETA: thread title changed to 'machine-built' because of course some wheels are assembled by hand in factories... can't change the poll options now but for clarity's sake, I mean machine-built.

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Mix of both here, but substantially outweighed by factory wheels as I run what the bikes are supplied with until there is a problem, at which point my preference is to build my own.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
4 of my bikes are on handbuilt wheels, the only bike still on the factory wheels is my hybrid which has only done about 70 pitiful miles in my year of ownership :blush: If I decide to keep it, then that too will end up with handbuilt wheels on.
On my latest bike I wanted silver rims, but machine built wheels for disc brakes with silver rims are few & far between, so handbuilt was the best option. But generally it is for strength & reliability, with me being a 'heavy' rider & I also like the option of being a bit different to the crowd :okay:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Hand built front and machine built on the back.

In the hand the solid spoke tension of the handbuilt wheel feels far superior to the slacker machine built wheel... but on the bike there's no discernible difference.

I will be buying hand built again though.

So far, I've never felt the need for handbuilt wheels. At least not on modern bikes, going back 20 years or so. I just tune them slightly every now and again if they go out of true. I've been waiting for one to spontaneously combust so I can build some new wheels but the damn things refuse to.

In 40 odd years of cycling, I've only had one set of cheap wheels die on me and I was subjecting them to a full touring load at the time. I've got one kinked spoke on my road bike now but the wheel is still true. I can only think that machine built wheels have got considerably better in recent times.

I think id go for handbuilt wheels if I was heading off on tour for a long squawk or otherwise somewhere remote but for nearly all my riding, I haven't yet needed them.

Bodhbh

Guru
Mix. I've got no problems buying either, but of all the wheelsets I've only had problems with 2 or 3 pinging spokes and they've all been machine built. Not sure that proves much, I tend to get handbuilts more to get whatever hub/rim combo need (or think I need...). Been meaning to learn wheelbuilding but been prevaricating on that now for 9months despite having all the gear ready to build my first couple of wheels and lacing them.

Drago

Legendary Member
Factory. Never had a problem getting a bike that fits me well, so no need to buy a tailored frame.

I've never built a wheel from scratch, but have re-spoked a couple in full. Some folk talk as if a wheel build is on a par with Jesus feeding the 5000 or walking on water, but in reality there's no mystique to it. The real difference is time - I had all the time in the world, and an artisan wheel builder would too.

Last edited:

subaqua

What’s the point
what do you class this as

2nd hand rim from an old wheel where hub was wrecked , new spokes , existing Dynamo disc hub . all redone by me . i can say that in the 12 months of riding on it it has had less re truing ( i.e. NONE) than the machine built wheel the rim came from and the wheel that I pringled the rim on.

AlanW

Guru
Machine built wheels for the summer and hand build's for the winter as they are not only stronger and more reliable, but every single component is replaceable and affordable.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
4 of my bikes are on handbuilt wheels, the only bike still on the factory wheels is my hybrid which has only done about 70 pitiful miles in my year of ownership :blush: If I decide to keep it, then that too will end up with handbuilt wheels on.
On my latest bike I wanted silver rims, but machine built wheels for disc brakes with silver rims are few & far between, so handbuilt was the best option. But generally it is for strength & reliability, with me being a 'heavy' rider & I also like the option of being a bit different to the crowd :okay:
you dont look like a heavy rider in your profile pic

PapaZita

Guru
All mine are handbuilt, mostly because I really enjoy building wheels. They can be strong and reliable, or remarkably light, and it's fun picking parts to get exactly what you want. The only pair that I didn't build myself were still handbuilt, but bought complete, because they were exactly the spec I wanted and on special offer at a fraction of the price of what I could have bought the parts for.

Top Bottom