Handbags - acceptable language?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Not all queens are drama queens.

Indeed.

No more are they.

Some of us are blissfully serene :angel:

Just you try rustling my pigs - and we'll soon see about the whole 'excluding violence' against persons part ..:rolleyes:

Again, not sure what you mean here but you can't surely be comparing a few dead pigs, that you breed to kill anyway, to people dying on a theatre table or prisoners being cut down in a cell?

The point I'm making is if this is the type of thing you see on a regular basis hearing someone reffered to as a Drama Queen isn't really going to bother you much.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Again, not sure what you mean here but you can't surely be comparing a few dead pigs, that you breed to kill anyway, to people dying on a theatre table or prisoners being cut down in a cell?

The point I'm making is if this is the type of thing you see on a regular basis hearing someone reffered to as a Drama Queen isn't really going to bother you much.

No i wasn't.

And of course there are situations and contexts in which language usage matters more or less.

But I think the thrust of my argument around prejudicial language usage - and how desisting from using it can help or hinder progress in general - is being somewhat lost here .

But never mind - work elsewhere to do .

Come to think of it - i'm not sure if i even possess such an item as a handbag ... :rolleyes:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I see.
Absolutely, the amount of conversations had in our house when the latest 'Scandal' surfaces and how people are too sensitive nowadays I'm pretty sure I know my own families thoughts.

It would be interesting to see what sort of jobs people do who frequent this forum because I believe that has a lot to do with their view of the world, clearly someone dealing with Death/violence or suffering on a daily basis are going to be of a different Ilk to someone who doesn't.
It might be fine in your family, but it might not be fine when people use language that might be deemed offensive outside, because pound to a penny, most people use much the same language wherever they are, pub, work, walking down the street as they do at home or among 'friends'.
Yes, accepting death and destruction or being trained to accept it is a form of desensitisation, (which proves a point) and that does not make it acceptable.
On the world view? That's easy to answer. If you want a more equal and inclusive world, then language matters. Language informs and reflects our inner thoughts and prejudices. It's not difficult to make small changes for the sake of 'better' is it?

My MIL is a deep seated racist and prejudiced in so many ways.
Here most memorable gaffe was in a crowded restaurant of a pub where she said to my daughter in a very loud voice 'I didn't expect to see as many blacks in here!'
She has a lovely guy in the flat below. He's around 50, lives on his own and happens to be homosexual. He's very kind to her and keeps an eye on her. She refers to him as that gay bloke although she's well aware of his name.
Now the word black and gay are perfectly acceptable (I hope I'm right🤞) but the way she uses the words about someone isn't.
My point is sometimes it's how and what you mean by saying a word.

It might be fine in your family, but it might not be fine when people use language that might be deemed offensive outside, because pound to a penny, most people use much the same language wherever they are, pub, work, walking down the street as they do at home or among 'friends'.
Yes, accepting death and destruction or being trained to accept it is a form of desensitisation, (which proves a point) and that does not make it acceptable.
On the world view? That's easy to answer. If you want a more equal and inclusive world, then language matters. Language informs and reflects our inner thoughts and prejudices. It's not difficult to make small changes for the sake of 'better' is it?
Totally agree, which is why I replied to your post asking me If I was sure no-one was offended because I know the circles in which I mix are a little harder to upset.

In front of strangers or on TV/Radio then clearly matters are different but you specifically asked me if 'I was sure' whether the people I knew would be offended and I do.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
You may be serene
But you ain't no queen
You are
As we know
An aubergine

I love it when people pen pomes in my honour :blush:

That's the spirit

Start em early* !!

He'll be needing to 'man up' next yeah ??

* mind you he may be 27 yrs old for all i know :rolleyes:
He’s 10 😊
My old man use to tell me he would put a frock on me if I carried on crying, never did thi any harm but sure there would be outrage at that today....

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
He’s 10 😊
My old man use to tell me he would put a frock on me if I carried on crying, never did thi any harm but sure there would be outrage at that today....

Quite the contrary - you can wear whatever you like - and it will look fabulous - although i find if the skirt is too long it can get caught in the chain ring :sad:

Quite the contrary - you can wear whatever you like - and it will look fabulous - although i find if the skirt is too long it can get caught in the chain ring :sad:
Oh yes, I forgot you can be ‘fluid’ now. Wonder how that would go down in a snap cabin of 30 boiler rats on a man camp.... Sorry a person camp ^_^

Oh yes, I forgot you can be ‘fluid’ now. Wonder how that would go down in a snap cabin of 30 boiler rats on a man camp.... Sorry a person camp ^_^

Depends if it's 'get naked Wednesday' the one in the middle is a real Drama Queen!

Top Bottom