Handbags - acceptable language?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
ah yes... the great supporter of homophobia, misogyny and xenophobia. One by one, people like him are dying off, thankfully.

I didn't know that's what he was like in those ways.
That's sad isnt it.

And I don't think the 'he was of his time' excuse really holds water either
- I've known plenty of men of his vintage who weren't at all like that.

To suggest that he wasn't capable of knowing any better because of his 'age' is a bit insulting to many from the same era who could advance their thinking, and perspectives, over time perfectly well.

Prevalence of domestic abuse According to the Office of National Statistics (ONS) is 4.2% of men and 7.9% of women.
Its a reasonable belief that men are less likely to report it. Therefore statistics for men are much higher.

Whats the ulterior motive?
Women are far more likely to slag down men than the other way round.

Women are actually far more likely to be verbally harassed, or attacked by men, than the other way round, when out by themselves - so maybe this is why she is more guarded.

For all we know she may have suffered this directly, hence the ultra defensive stance.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
No you can't as you and your ilk don't believe all people are entitled to an opinion...unless it agrees with your politically correct view.
Anyone's entitled to hold any opinion and express it, surely? In the public arena however, whether the BBC, Twitter, Instagram or CycleChat, there are certain standards which, if we choose to participate, we are obliged to accept. It's less about political correctness and more about being aware that the language we choose might have a detrimental effect on those around us. Phrases such as "he'd have been better wearing a skirt", particularly if part of everyday language but especially when used by public figures, can have an insidious effect on the self-perception of our daughters, granddaughters and nieces.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Anyone's entitled to hold any opinion and express it, surely? In the public arena however, whether the BBC, Twitter, Instagram or CycleChat, there are certain standards which, if we choose to participate, we are obliged to accept. It's less about political correctness and more about being aware that the language we choose might have a detrimental effect on those around us. Phrases such as "he'd have been better wearing a skirt", particularly if part of everyday language but especially when used by public figures, can have an insidious effect on the self-perception of our daughters, granddaughters and nieces.

Having perused this thread I'd say very good luck to you on convincing people who clearly don't care, to care very much about their use of language as regards to its effect on others.

There seems to be an attitude of "Well I say this down the pub / round me mates, so what's the problem, with the BBC using it"

Any attempt to dicuss deeper or wider consequences of language usage will be met with

"Oh It's all PC gone mad, you can't* say
anything nowadays"

* As they go about saying precisely what they like..

Clearly the irony is lost in translation.

Oh well - worth a try now and then :okay:

What was a RSBB* like you doing watching Wendyball anyway?

* For those of you who haven’t been hanging around here for donkeys years means; ‘Ramrod Straight Bird Biffer’ a phrase coined by C+ member Chuffy /EvilChuffy....

Because my local Big Naked Blokes Cage-Fighting club is closed due to COVID.:angry: Bunch of woofters, scared of a teeny virus, pffft ...

You just can’t use them on the BBC. Like any employer they have rules which have to be adhered to. For instance I can swear as much as I like at home. I can’t swear at work.
It's all about context - I bet BBC staff can swear in most of their working day. But they would be in trouble on the 10-oclock-news.
(I've never had a job where swearing was totally banned in practice. Some places it was rife, no-one cared. Most jobs it's ok from time-to-time in the right place; but not in front of a customer, and don't write it in an email! etc etc ...)

DRM

Guru
God forbid they’d watch a rugby league match when the “handbags at dawn“ happens with several well built blokes pushing and shoving and punching each other, only for the referee to split them up, and they do as they’re told too, the world truly has gone mad, we would be better off not talking to people at this rate.

All uphill

Still rolling along
God forbid they’d watch a rugby league match when the “handbags at dawn“ happens with several well built blokes pushing and shoving and punching each other, only for the referee to split them up, and they do as they’re told too, the world truly has gone mad, we would be better off not talking to people at this rate.
Sorry, I don't understand that.

so what's the problem, with the BBC using it"
Maybe because of there hypocrisy
Unless your a lefty like Ian hislop who uses phrases like "handbags at dawn" regularly. Oops he's upper middle class not working class. We should no our place!
Which you don't appear to have a problem with.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
As has been said above the handbags phrase has been picked up by the press because it makes a good story, but it’s the other phrases and the fact he’s been warned before that probably got him into trouble.
The handbags phrase on its own probably isn’t a big deal.

Yes beebo, that seems to be the case: but the BBC have made themselves look vv silly if they said that "handbags" was even one of the contributory offences!
[I am confident of my view that "drama queen" is also entirely inoffensive too; but "handbags" does make a better "PC gawn mad" story!]

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Yes beebo, that seems to be the case: but the BBC have made themselves look vv silly if they said that "handbags" was even one of the contributory offences!
[I am confident of my view that "drama queen" is also entirely inoffensive too; but "handbags" does make a better "PC gawn mad" story!]

I know it won't make the slightest bit of difference to "your view" because that's obv the only rational and sensible view here, and everyone else is talking utter nonsense.

But fwiw (I should be planting salad) in some contexts gender based insults can cause offense.

Take for example 'Drama Queen"

Why did "Drama King" not hold the same power to insult, or convey an implication ??

Because it doesn't contain within it that tired old stereotype of the female or even perhaps the homosexual being disproportionately irrational, and over the top, in their reactions to events not to their liking, perhaps?

This feeds into that whole pantheon of notions such as women's emotional reactions being hysterical, or unreasonable in some way.
That women, are liable to irrational outbursts, whereas chaps are always strong and steady (evidentially untrue - but there we go)

If a man is considered to have 'overeacted' he is often insulted by being likened to a female.

Thereby not only insulting him, but also reinforcing and perpetuating the stereotype that strong emotional reactions are primarily a female characteristic.

Untrue, unfair, and unhelpful, for all genders.

Particularly, whilst meanwhile, on other threads there are people trying to navigate the choppy waters of healthy emotional expression of distress for men.

Wow :rolleyes: what a lot of words for you to take no notice of, whatsoever ^_^

As a matter of interest then, If you overheard someone accusing a fella of being a Drama Queen you would be offended because you're a Women?

I assume you are a Woman.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
As a matter of interest then, If you overheard someone accusing a fella of being a Drama Queen you would be offended because you're a Women?

I assume you are a Woman.

I might be offended on behalf of womanhood, and the slur on womanhood in general perhaps, depends on the context.

But I'd say generally it's just lazy stereotyping.

Why not use something gender neutral, or appropriate to that gender to describe what you feel is an excessive response to an event.

I mean we're talking about some people, who are being paid to give commentary on a men's football game here yes?

They're professional speakers right??

Descriptive words are their business, am I correct ??

So surely they could make an effort to find some terms more apposite to what they're describing??

Just seems thoughtless and lazy, if nothing else.

Last edited:
Top Bottom