Handbags - acceptable language?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
what's the approved contemporary alternative for "drama queen"?

it's a phrase which has its uses - am sure we have all known folks of all genders it could describe
I didn't actually read the "drama queen" report - I fisrt read about this on a much less er ... "CC-friendly" website - but i have no idea why this phrase would be offensive!

As for the ref's wife - well he probably does have a wife. He's a bloke in the UK, involved with football. And if he doesn't, so what? old-fashoined humour, perhaps - but then football is a hundred years old, perhaps we should have moved onto korfball?

Drago

Legendary Member
I'd agree its olde fashioned, but im struggling to see how it can be considered offensive at any level. Instead of simply bemoaning the terms, perhaps someone could provide an explanation that explains the mechanics behind their objection?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'd agree its olde fashioned, but im struggling to see how it can be considered offensive at any level. Instead of simply bemoaning the terms, perhaps someone could provide an explanation that explains the mechanics behind their objection?

Almost without exception whenever a man is called something traditionally associated with women (eg big girls blouse) it is considered derogatory to that man or group of men, being spoken sbout.

Thereby implying that women and their characteristics are somehow inferior, because these phrases are used to ridicule or diminish the people being spoken about.

So we must conclude that feminine is 'less than' , or inferior in some way.

So it's a way of insulting not just the immediate target, but also females who are thus being used as agents of insult.

Of course these phrases, used by themselves, are not a massive problem when heard individually.

But when taken in the round, and constantly drip fed, as part of a whole historical and cultural language that implies 'female' is less than, or weaker, less mentally capable, less worthy of respect then they do add up to something.

Especially when used in the public realm.

Just like terms that imply racism ableism, etc.

Does that make it clearer?

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Kick those damned BBC Bolshies where it damn' well hurts my fellow chaps!🧐

https://www.change.org/p/everyone-defund-bbc?recruiter=1112650241

I shudder to think what this great man who was employed by the BBC for 55 years would think of 'aunty beeb' now. 🧐

1606620458217.png

Last edited:
The examples quoted in the article illustrate tired, lazy, dated language best left alongside archived exerpts of 'The Comedians', rather than be perpetuated through current sports commentary. Haven't we moved on? The implications of public figures using phrases such as "he'd have been better wearing a skirt" don't need stating, do they?
looking forward to your pithy alternative for

"drama queen".

Do get back to use (though I understand the committee might not be able to meet until Monday)

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Precisely. It's a poor term when there's no need to use a gendered expression at all.
Why not melodramatic or something similar?

Exactly, why not ?

Rather points up the invidious power of words, for good or ill doesn't it.

Words used in these ways are rarely free of agenda.. Conscious, or unconscious.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Kick those damned BBC Bolshies where it damn' well hurts my fellow chaps!🧐

https://www.change.org/p/everyone-defund-bbc?recruiter=1112650241

I shudder to think what this great man who was employed by the BBC for 55 years would think of 'aunty beeb' now. 🧐

View attachment 560706

Although undoubtably a great science communicator, he clearly lost his way, later in life.

Judging by the rosette.

Curious given the great scientific education collaborations we've had within the Erasmus scheme over our membership.

My ol pa, also a scientist of international renown within his field was a great fan, and took part in many European projects.

He would have hated what's going on now with this 'anti progression' 'anti expert' 'anti knowledge' insular vibe that's going on in many places..

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Top Bottom