Handbags - acceptable language?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You're right. So rather than describe someone as a drama queen, could the commentator not have described their behaviour as melodramatic?
I'd work on it.
read some orwell.
Simple succinct language.

And I assume you wouldn't pass in any case a more convoluted description which referred to a hissy fit.
gender specific.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Precisely. It's a poor term when there's no need to use a gendered expression at all.
Why not melodramatic or something similar?
It's a great term! It's surely nothing to do with gender/misogyny either. You might have thought it was homophobic except that it's probably gay in origin, and would be used with particular relish by gay people, about other gay people. As for 'no need', it'll be a sad, Orwellian day when language is chosen only by 'need'. I'm all for being sensitive to others' feelings, but there are times when only drama queen will do. Melodramatic is no substitute.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
How pathetic the world is now. Not only are we not allowed to have our own oppinion anymore, but we can only use certain words as well. To be honest, the BBC and other outlets shouldn't allow this to happen as it only gives these people greater power and a sanctimonious platform to make even more complaints.

I often call Drago all sorts of names. It is something that I take great delight in doing
Luckily the old duffers on the retirement thread don't take offense at things like that probably because they forget what I said within 24 hours anyway.

People really need to get a life.

It's a great term! It's surely nothing to do with gender/misogyny either. You might have thought it was homophobic except that it's probably gay in origin, and would be used with particular relish by gay people, about other gay people. As for 'no need', it'll be a sad, Orwellian day when language is chosen only by 'need'. I'm all for being sensitive to others' feelings, but there are times when only drama queen will do. Melodramatic is no substitute.
yep exactly.
I always kind of assumed it came from the theatrical world.
Like "prima donna".
Another banned phrase perhaps.

The irony is of course that after yorkshire souls have banned certain words and phrases they will awake into their new dawn to find that those they claimed to be protecting/championing are using the same terms themselves. With relish as you say.

Last edited:
How pathetic the world is now. Not only are we not allowed to have our own oppinion anymore, but we can only use certain words as well. To be honest, the BBC and other outlets shouldn't allow this to happen as it only gives these people greater power and a sanctimonious platform to make even more complaints.

I often call Drago all sorts of names. It is something that I take great delight in doing
Luckily the old duffers on the retirement thread don't take offense at things like that probably because they forget what I said within 24 hours anyway.

People really need to get a life.
I'm sure you will agree though that your self description of yourself as a dragon is an appallingly sexist term - and that you have been reduced to this sad self-abuse by the overarching patriarchy.

Prevalence of domestic abuse According to the Office of National Statistics (ONS) is 4.2% of men and 7.9% of women.
Its a reasonable belief that men are less likely to report it. Therefore statistics for men are much higher.

My daughter is 20 and is at Uni and she detests it when male cyclists say hello.

In her mind, she sees an ulterior motive which is a shame because 99.9% of them only see her as a fellow cyclist.
Whats the ulterior motive?
Women are far more likely to slag down men than the other way round.
I wonder if she has grasped that 2% of men claim to be gay?
Odd how Angus Deayton has used the "handbags at Dawn" repeatedly on have i got news for you. Tne BBC have no problems with him using it.

Last edited by a moderator:

postman

Legendary Member
Gawd help any sports person winning any prize money,and buying the other half a kitchen with it.Somebody might get offended.Oh sorry too late Peter Allis said same and got bollocked.

A friend described her and her female friends as a covern. I pointed out that men can be witches to so I would like to join. No women only we sacrifice men. I find that funny just like @mudsticks would.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
How pathetic the world is now. Not only are we not allowed to have our own oppinion anymore, but we can only use certain words as well.
You can have what ever opinions you want and use what ever terms you want. In fact by posting that you have actively proved yourself wrong.

You just can’t use them on the BBC. Like any employer they have rules which have to be adhered to. For instance I can swear as much as I like at home. I can’t swear at work.

Top Bottom