Handbags at STRAVA

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MichaelO

Veteran
Actually, strava has made a change that annoys me. You now get "personal records" for the first time you ride a segment.
Agreed. I set over 1,000 PR's over 3 rides a couple of weeks ago - first time riding in Majorca. Yes, it's the fastest I've ever ridden those sections, but I preferred it when they didn't mark them at all. Getting a PR on my commute is almost unheard of these days - but just getting one is more of an achievement.

If you want to comment to Strava about this change

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115000625890-PR-achievements-on-first-attempt

Edit: the first comments are positive, I suspect by people who hadn't actually used it yet, but the feedback quickly goes negative.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Sorry I wasn't clearer.

Of course it's my PR, my problem is calling it an "achievement".

I've logged about 50,000km in Strava, all of them when I was younger and most of them when I slimmer and fitter than I am today. It's a rare event when I get an improved performance, and it's interesting to me. It's also an encouragement to push myself. Now the little gold trophies are just noise and no indication of what sort of ride I really had.

View attachment 379404
I mean I could click on every one of them, and then click "my results" to see if it's a true PR or just a new segment, but that could be a depressing chore instead of a moments feedback. I see for example vickster got 52 cups on the Tiny London ride on Sunday.
I didn't realise they'd done this but it's something I've whined about for ages. If I ride something for the first time it's the fastest I've done it ever, my PB, if I ever ride up Mont Ventoux it's an "achievement" and if I only have a chance to do it once in my life I think I'd find it satisfying that it had been recognised as such, granted it's more likely to be some 100mm sprint someone has stuck on a side road but hey ho. Surely you must have some idea if you're doing a regular segment or a one for the first time and can tell if you've PB'd something you've done before?

bpsmith

Veteran
I didn't realise they'd done this but it's something I've whined about for ages. If I ride something for the first time it's the fastest I've done it ever, my PB, if I ever ride up Mont Ventoux it's an "achievement" and if I only have a chance to do it once in my life I think I'd find it satisfying that it had been recognised as such, granted it's more likely to be some 100mm sprint someone has stuck on a side road but hey ho. Surely you must have some idea if you're doing a regular segment or a one for the first time and can tell if you've PB'd something you've done before?
My sentiment exactly. Just the same as if you stopped, or have casually ridden, on a new segment and then get a PR on the next visit albeit still very slow but faster than before. It’s not really an “achievement” but your PR nonetheless.

I just don’t see how this is such a major complaint for people?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Actually, strava has made a change that annoys me. You now get "personal records" for the first time you ride a segment. So previously seeing a whole lot of personal records at the end of a ride meant you'd had a good ride, and maybe were improving. Now it just means you turned a corner you hadn't before. Eg on Sunday I got a notification of a PR on flat ground a 2.3kph.

I think this is a bad move, because it's going to make me less interested in my PRs from now on, and thus less interested in Strava.

(oh, I just used the new activity feed and :biggrin: I hate it!!!)

Yeah I don't like that either

What they should do is put some other marker on a segment you do for the first time. I can't remember every segment I've done so if I don't get a Gold/Silver/Bronze I used to assume I was just a bit slow. So G/S/B and "New"?

Top Bottom